Author Topic: Recall development  (Read 17471 times)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 11:48:25 am
Br. CJ, you might wish to consider renaming her: The Bride.

If I get too sweet on it my 99 might turn on me ;D
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:26 pm
"If I get too sweet on it my 99 might turn on me"   ;D  CJ

Women!   :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 08:35:36 am
I'm getting a bit confused here - perhaps Kevin could help me out?

This started with a batch of 1000 as I recall and bikes made after that were not affected. So now that what amounts to a gearbox upgrade is being implemented is this now being applied to all bikes and if not is it the case that the 1,000 bikes recalled will in effect be of superior spec to everything else being sold?

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 12:43:50 pm
I'm getting a bit confused here - perhaps Kevin could help me out?

This started with a batch of 1000 as I recall and bikes made after that were not affected. So now that what amounts to a gearbox upgrade is being implemented is this now being applied to all bikes and if not is it the case that the 1,000 bikes recalled will in effect be of superior spec to everything else being sold?

The original recall (3rd Gear) started with a range of engine numbers, I don't know whether the additional work (2nd & 4th) is confined to that same range. I think it might be because my dealer hasn't mentioned having to send back more bikes.

Don't worry about some bikes being higher spec than others, all that's needed is a reliable quiet gearbox that shifts easily and provided my bike comes back that way I don't mind what spec parts are in it. It's very unlikely that future resale values will be affected.

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:30:41 pm
I just returned from about three weeks in Africa to discover the news about the recall - it was a bitter disappointment not to be able to get on my new motorcycle as soon as I got back home. After walking in the heat of Ghana, and watching other Ghanaians fly past me on their motorcycles, I got to dreaming about getting back home to ride my new G5 Deluxe; I had just gotten it past the first oil change before I left for Ghana. I was even going to rent a motorcycle through a company that I found in Accra, but the owner had just left for a trip to the US, so I was out of luck on that front!

Is there some kind of priority list as to which dealers get the part? I was planning on taking my new bike on a trip to the Carolina coast and up the East Coast (in combination with my work at the Duke University Marine Labs) starting on the 18th of July, but I'm still waiting for my dealer to get the parts.  I know, patience is a virtue.

I do appreciate the efforts that CMW has made to ensure the highest quality and safety for their products. The Bullet is my first bike since my 1985 Honda CB700SC (which I rode until 2002), and it was truly a spiritual pleasure to get back on a motorcycle - and a gorgeous one at that! I hope that I don't need to drive my car to the Carolina coast.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 06:28:13 pm
I was supposed to get mine back today, but well, it wasn't today now. Hopefully tomorrow. The loaner I have is gradually failing. It's been leaking oil like mad, then the electric start stopped working except in first, now it doesn't work at all, it stalls quite often, seems like a misfire but whatta I know, and it doesn't want to kick start half the time. The 51 RE2 at least tries to turn over when it's kicked!

Still though, will just make me hug my C5 all the more when I get her back.

thefieldworker, I'd mention your deadline, maybe it can be done in time. It sounds like the total number of recalls in the US is way less than here in the UK so maybe it won't be an issue getting yours done in time, good luck!
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Pitviper

Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 12:06:56 am
I was supposed to get mine back today, but well, it wasn't today now. Hopefully tomorrow.
I know how your feeling. My G5 was supposed to be done Tuesday. I'm still waiting! Maybe tomorrow. ???

mark

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 01:59:53 pm
Hi guys!

Well I have just had my G5 picked up,and It's winging its way to watsonian and squire.
I know some people are unhappy about the recall,but I actually take my hat off to them for doing it.
Many other big companies would just let this go,and ignore any faults.

I have asked them to find out if the upswept C5 exhaust pipe will fit the G5,as I think it would look cool.They are going to find out for me,as aparently I'm the first to ask?.

Anyway I have had my bike for 8 months and I think it's a fantastic machine.
3500 miles of enjoyment ;D

Mark. ;)
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:47 pm
Hey Mark

Are you from Devon? When my Classic was dropped off this morning the pickup+trailer was empty, Ben said he had to go to Plymouth to stock up on bikes for the recall then off to GV in Taunton, if so he probably went and got your bike :P

Let's hope you get her back soon!

J
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

mark

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 04:29:35 pm
Hi James,

Yes it was Ben who picked up the bike lunch time.
He had a green electra on the trailer already(previous model).

I don't mind waiting,I have just bought a mercedes 2.5 turbo to play with,or as my partner calls a pimp mobile.  ;D

She says with my terminator glasses,American police helmet I look a right wanker on the enfield and a bigger wanker in the merc.

But I said   don,t you mean "rich wanker" :D
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:16 pm
Watsonians should have a couple of spare [length tuned by computer] shorter performance pipes on the shelf for the C5 by now, along with the new adjustable height seat :0)

Pitviper

Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 05:42:51 pm
Report Date :   July 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number :   09V235000

Vehicle Make / Model:         Model Year(s):
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET ELECTRA E-5 EFI          2009
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET G5 CLASSIC EFI          2009
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET G5 DELUXE EFI          2009
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET G5 MILITARY EFI          2009
Manufacturer: CLASSIC MOTORWORKS LIMITED, USA   Mfr's Report Date: JUN 12, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V235000   NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 196
Summary:
 CLASSIC MOTORWORKS IS RECALLING 196 MY 2009 BULLET ELECTRA E-5, BULLET G5 CLASSIC, BULLET G5 MILITARY, AND BULLET G5 DELUXE MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH THE UNIT CONSTRUCTION, EFI ENGINE. THESE MOTORCYCLES CAN EXPERIENCE THIRD GEAR GALLING ON THE CLUTCH SHAFT DUE TO LACK OF LUBRICATION. THIS CONDITION CAN ALLOW THE GEAR TO SEIZE TO THE SHAFT, CAUSING REAR WHEEL LOCK UP.
Consequence:
 THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH THAT COULD CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH TO THE RIDER.
Remedy:
 DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE THIRD GEAR AND CLUTCH SHAFT WITH INCREASED CLEARANCE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 29, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CLASSIC MOTORWORKS AT 1-800-201-7472.
Notes:
 OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 08:08:51 pm
Oh cool, well nice to meet another (somewhat) local Enfielder! I'll be in Plympton on Sunday for the Air Ambulance charity run, so glad to finally do a run on my real bike.

That green Electra was my loaner, an 07 and I was quite glad to see it go away... it wasn't very reliable, leaked oil like a crazy person and well just wasn't my Classic.

Rusty, are you still expecting (hoping) for your baby to be back tomorrow?

James

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:38 pm
thefieldworker, I'd mention your deadline, maybe it can be done in time. It sounds like the total number of recalls in the US is way less than here in the UK so maybe it won't be an issue getting yours done in time, good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion; I did call my local dealer (Carl at Union Cycle here in Charlotte, North Carolina), and it worked - he'll have my bike picked up tomorrow morning, to coincide with his receiving the parts from CMW later today. So I should be able to get my Bullet back before I need  to leave next Saturday!

I've been looking forward to making this trip for a while. Since having kids (my oldest is a junior in college), I haven't been able to just get on my bike and ride long distances. I have an excuse now - I need to be at the Duke University Marine Labs in Beaufort, NC (I will bring a cover to deal with the salty coastal air); during the days, I will need to work, but there's always the evenings .... And I'm just looking forward to the ride from the Piedmont to the Carolina coast; after my workshop is done, I will ride north up the coast to New Jersey (via Cape Ann ferry) to visit family. In fact, the brother that I will be visiting told me that he had just gotten rid of his 1985 Honda CB700SC (yes, he bought the same bike as me in the 1990s); now that it looks like my Bullet will be ready for this trip, I'm going to see if I can make him want to buy a Royal Enfield to replace it!

Thanks again JamesC5 for the suggestion to call my dealer.

WKinNJ

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 02:33:18 am
I do appreciate the efforts that CMW has made to ensure the highest quality and safety for their products. The Bullet is my first bike since my 1985 Honda CB700SC (which I rode until 2002), and it was truly a spiritual pleasure to get back on a motorcycle - and a gorgeous one at that! I hope that I don't need to drive my car to the Carolina coast.

I still have my 1985 CB700SC in the garage. Couldn't sell it because it was the first bike I rode across the US.

Wk