Author Topic: Recall development  (Read 17493 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 03:29:21 am
 A recall is costly enough.  By stepping up to the plate and making things better than right by re starting the warranty period, R.E. is making a "good show of things" for themselves.
I would think that they would be using new gaskets as well.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 04:30:35 am
The case "gaskets" are RTV.
It can't be "re-used".
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 04:44:28 pm
I'm more than a bit surprised at some of the recriminations I've been reading. Find me a manufacturer these days who hasn't issued a recall - Toyota, BMW, anyone. No manufacturer is perfect. It's how the manufacturer handles their problems that reveals their sense of responsibility.

Does anyone remember exploding Ford Pintos, and the revelation that internal company memos argued that it would cost less to pay lawsuit claims for the injuries and deaths caused by the fuel tank than to fix the problem? I, for one, am delighted Royal Enfield decided not to take that approach.

I have a lovely green 500CC porch ornament at the moment, and I'm as impatient as anyone to get it on the road again. But I'm perfectly happy with the way RE and Kevin have handled the issue. Not only are the problems being fixed, we're getting a free upgrade in spec, with a renewed two-year warranty at the end of it. That's worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 05:24:54 pm
I'm more than a bit surprised at some of the recriminations I've been reading. Find me a manufacturer these days who hasn't issued a recall - Toyota, BMW, anyone. No manufacturer is perfect. It's how the manufacturer handles their problems that reveals their sense of responsibility.

Does anyone remember exploding Ford Pintos, and the revelation that internal company memos argued that it would cost less to pay lawsuit claims for the injuries and deaths caused by the fuel tank than to fix the problem? I, for one, am delighted Royal Enfield decided not to take that approach.

I have a lovely green 500CC porch ornament at the moment, and I'm as impatient as anyone to get it on the road again. But I'm perfectly happy with the way RE and Kevin have handled the issue. Not only are the problems being fixed, we're getting a free upgrade in spec, with a renewed two-year warranty at the end of it. That's worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

A very positive, call it perfect attitude.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 05:52:09 pm
"A very positive, call it perfect attitude."  PhilJ

Amen!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 08:05:04 pm
That sir, is the right and proper way to think, Bravo!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 03:43:40 am
The recall parts kit includes all gaskets, sealing washers, O-rings filters etc. There are no parts that are re-used except hard parts. When the job is finished it is " as new", This is a professional operation to make sure it is done correctly.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 10:11:03 am
I just got a call from WS saying my bike will be delayed but by only one day so I'm looking at Wednesday, which is great by me, I think I'll go organize a party.

As a note to why people are frustrated, as I said, for me this has been going on for months. I went to the shops in mid may with a brand new bike and haven't seen her since.

I've owned BMWs, Pontiacs (90's stuff, bleh) and Toyotas, had the recall and reliability things. My MINI cooper visited the dealer for recalls and warranty issues quite often in 03 when they were still new with teething problems. But there's a difference between days or even weeks of not having your new baby and months. Also none of these issues have ever been anything I would think are serious, ie that could cause me harm, which is not what my Bike had on both occasions, both could have caused me trouble if they occurred at speed.

I think Rusty and I both had additional issues and downtime on top of the recall. Also for most of the recalls this new addition won't cause more delays, but when you've been waiting so long even little things seem massive.

I'm just glad this will soon be over and I can start catching up on all this riding and try to re-organize this road trip we were planning for June.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:38:23 am by JamesC5 »
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 11:35:51 am
It doesn't evoke sympathy when it's been just over 1 month. Certainly not MONTHS.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 11:37:58 am
I hope you have her home as soon as possible.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:21 pm
It doesn't evoke sympathy when it's been just over 1 month. Certainly not MONTHS.

Next week will have been 2 monthS. And I don't want sympathy, thanks. 
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 01:11:34 pm
I think Rusty and I both had additional issues and downtime on top of the recall

That's true for my part but ironically what turned out to be a great opportunity was missed, that's why I'm frustrated.

My bike was knocked over on the Thursday before the Watsonian open weekend and was taken to the importers on the Saturday. The car owners insurers admitted liability and requested a quote for repairs a week later. How convenient is that, the bike’s in for a recall and at the same time the damaged parts could be replaced….provided they were able to prepare a quotation and get it approved.

Since then the only news I‘ve had was last Friday when I was told about the additional recall work. When I enquired about the damaged parts quotation no progress had been made, surely between my dealer and the importer they could have got a quote together, they’re an hour and a half apart.

Anyway, I got a call from Ben (Watsonian) this morning assuring me that the bike will be fixed by Friday. If they can incorporate fixing the accident damage then they will but I said that shouldn’t delay delivery of the bike to my dealer.

A refund will be out of the question, Watsonian won’t support the dealer and so I’ve got no chance. There’s no point in taking it any further.

I just hope that if and when I get to ride it again it continues to put a smile on my face. Keep an eye on e-bay just in case.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 03:12:02 pm

I just hope that if and when I get to ride it again it continues to put a smile on my face. Keep an eye on e-bay just in case.

That's what I'm holding out for.
If it wasn't such a pleasure to ride in the first place the wait would be much worse.

OTOH my 01 is turning out to be a pretty sweet runner and might loose it's name "white bitch" for something a bit more forgiving soon.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 10:36:43 pm
It'll make ya smile.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 03:56:08 am
"OTOH my 01 is turning out to be a pretty sweet runner and might loose it's name "white bitch" for something a bit more forgiving soon."  CJ

Br. CJ, you might wish to consider renaming her: The Bride.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla