Author Topic: Recall development  (Read 17470 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
on: July 03, 2009, 11:04:51 pm
I dropped by my dealer this afternoon to see how much progress was being made with the recall work. I was told that a number of bikes had been fixed and were ready to go back to customers but the manufacturer has now instructed importers to replace second gear as well. That seems to be why my predicted Monday return hasn’t happened.

It means that those bikes which have had third gear replaced will need to be stripped again to replace second.

I would stress that this is word of mouth from my dealer without any communication from Watsonian yet (Kevin can you confirm any of this for US customers?).

It’s simplified things for me, I’ve asked for refund from my dealer. Watsonian can keep my bike and take it apart as many times as they like. Two months of RE ownwership is plenty enough for me.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:38:40 pm
Sorry to hear that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:11 pm
Thats tuff stuff.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:52:49 pm
Very sorry!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:04:24 am
Good god. Does that mean I won't be getting my bike back Tuesday?

Why can't our local dealers do these repairs also? Will this mess ever end.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:28:38 am
Man I'm sorry to hear that, these bikes are  great to ride and I can't for you guys to get your turn at them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:44:45 am
Rusty, what did your dealer say about a refund? I think I will do the same.

I rode my bike for 2 weeks and it's spent almost two months at WS, it isn't acceptable and if it's going to be another setback then I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 04:08:39 am
There goes that reputation...
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 05:15:09 am
sorry to hear about this development but, the question that should be asked is would you rather wait a bit and have your bike ride perfectly for the rest of its life, or would you rather end up in a death-skid because RE decided not to worry about the issues the early bikes may have. in many ways, it's the risk you take when you buy a bike that's brand new to the market.

i'm sure it must be torture. because of the current state of the economy, i'm completely without work and that too is torture, because i can't get the money to get the ride i told everyone i was going to have and most importantly, i'm without a motorcycle too, but you know, it's just some things you got to live with. shit happens. all you can really do is wipe it off and keep on trucking. it's not like this things don't happen to other bike manufacturers...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 05:49:04 am
I can only speak for the US since we are handling this differently than they are in the UK. One of the biggest things that RE did on this recall was to change the specification for the clearance between third gear and the clutch miainshaft. As a secondary precaution they installled a bi-metal (Bronze) bush in the gear as well. It acts like a fuse. When two pieces of metal that are made of the same material overheat they melt at the same temperature. They can then gall or weld together. This is what happened in the couple of cases where their were seizures due to insufficient clearnace. With a bronze bush this cannot happen. Usually this type of bush is only seen in situations where there is more load on a gear than in the RE. However once they made this change, they decided to move onto 4th gear as well. No incidents, but a good upgrade. The parts we got last week and sent to our dealers included fourth gear as a courtesy upgrade as well as third gear due to the recall. Our bikes are being done by our dealers and each dealer only has a few to do so the timing will be different for us. None of our engines have been buttoned up yet so this is not big thing here. This left second gear as the only one with no bronze busing so the factory started shipping second gears today by DHL (which is much quicker than the previous method of air shipment). The idea is that by doing all of them the entire transmission will be upgraded to make this thing bullet proof and eliminate any possibility of seizure even if too little clearance should ever occur again. All of the engines we have looked at have been well within spec, but this upgrade will take any uncertainly out of it. I will have parts on their way to dealers overnight by Monday. This won't slow us down at all or if it does it will be by a day or two tops. It is clearly the best thing for the customer and is more than is required, but RE wants to be certain that even the early models will have all of  the upgrades. A bit of an unusual decision in this day and age, but RE wants to be known as a company that steps up to the plate if need be. I also know that parts for the UK also left by DHL today.
  There are a couple of other parts that we want to upgrade as well but those parts are commonly available and will not make a difference in the repair timeline. (specifically an internal bearing  made by a certain manufacturer on a few bikes ). No failures but we have seen evidence during teardown that a few of their retaining cages could potentially cause trouble later on, so we will  be replacing them as long as the engine is apart as a prophylactic measure. In the end you will end up with a better bike with a new warranty and all of the latest upgrades whether you need them or not LOL. I am personally surprised that REM was able to get all of these new parts distributed accross the globe in the time frame that they did. I understand the inconvenience but in the end you will have a better product. I don't think this will cause much delay in the UK either since not that many bikes have been buttoned up yet,.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:53:33 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:49:28 am
Rusty, what did your dealer say about a refund? I think I will do the same.

Yesterday I was assured that I would get my money back. Whether that means directly from the dealer (which it should do) is not clear so I'm taking the spares and docs back today. I'll politely ask for a refund, the issue is then for Watsonian and the dealer to resolve, not the customer.

I'm truly saddened to do this, I love the C5 but clearly my bike is not fit for purpose. We've heard several times how many thousands of test miles have been undertaken and how the UCE gearbox is the 'same' as the UVL but if that's the case why is there so much concern about reliability now?

Watsonian embarked on the recall without being made aware of the full extent of the work required and now some bikes will need stripping again adding further delay.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 09:41:45 am
I think the bikes will be OK eventually, its a bit unfortunate that these other things have come to light. WS did tell me that it was 4th gear also and that they would be putting right anything else that they found wrong. So I suppose that covers what Kevin has pointed out.
I still think (repeat) we have a great machine, and all will be overcome.
I think the biggest problem in the UK is communications, or lack of them. As I have said before I have received not one call from WS or my dealer. I have had to do all the calling etc. Also my dealer isn't communicating. I eventually received a letter from WS 2 weeks old ( and an apology) from WS, via email, because purchases names and address's was locked up in someones briefcase and he was on holiday!! Hence these details couldn't be given to WS.
Its high time someone, somewere, got there act together. They just need to get on with it all sharpish.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 01:04:20 pm
I hope you will reconsider Rusty, you were my hero. The first guy with a C5 that I ever spoke to!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:06:34 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Englishabroad

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:05:37 pm
Hi Kevin,

Does the first shipment of C5s (which includes my bike) have the bronze bushes and other modifications already installed?

For what it's worth I do think you're handling the recall very well.

Thanks

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09:02 am
Are the gaskets being carefully removed and new ones placed or are the old ones being reused through all this opening, closing and opening of the uce?