Author Topic: Recall development  (Read 17474 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
on: July 03, 2009, 11:04:51 pm
I dropped by my dealer this afternoon to see how much progress was being made with the recall work. I was told that a number of bikes had been fixed and were ready to go back to customers but the manufacturer has now instructed importers to replace second gear as well. That seems to be why my predicted Monday return hasn’t happened.

It means that those bikes which have had third gear replaced will need to be stripped again to replace second.

I would stress that this is word of mouth from my dealer without any communication from Watsonian yet (Kevin can you confirm any of this for US customers?).

It’s simplified things for me, I’ve asked for refund from my dealer. Watsonian can keep my bike and take it apart as many times as they like. Two months of RE ownwership is plenty enough for me.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:38:40 pm
Sorry to hear that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:11 pm
Thats tuff stuff.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:52:49 pm
Very sorry!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:04:24 am
Good god. Does that mean I won't be getting my bike back Tuesday?

Why can't our local dealers do these repairs also? Will this mess ever end.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:28:38 am
Man I'm sorry to hear that, these bikes are  great to ride and I can't for you guys to get your turn at them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:44:45 am
Rusty, what did your dealer say about a refund? I think I will do the same.

I rode my bike for 2 weeks and it's spent almost two months at WS, it isn't acceptable and if it's going to be another setback then I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 04:08:39 am
There goes that reputation...
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 05:15:09 am
sorry to hear about this development but, the question that should be asked is would you rather wait a bit and have your bike ride perfectly for the rest of its life, or would you rather end up in a death-skid because RE decided not to worry about the issues the early bikes may have. in many ways, it's the risk you take when you buy a bike that's brand new to the market.

i'm sure it must be torture. because of the current state of the economy, i'm completely without work and that too is torture, because i can't get the money to get the ride i told everyone i was going to have and most importantly, i'm without a motorcycle too, but you know, it's just some things you got to live with. shit happens. all you can really do is wipe it off and keep on trucking. it's not like this things don't happen to other bike manufacturers...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 05:49:04 am
I can only speak for the US since we are handling this differently than they are in the UK. One of the biggest things that RE did on this recall was to change the specification for the clearance between third gear and the clutch miainshaft. As a secondary precaution they installled a bi-metal (Bronze) bush in the gear as well. It acts like a fuse. When two pieces of metal that are made of the same material overheat they melt at the same temperature. They can then gall or weld together. This is what happened in the couple of cases where their were seizures due to insufficient clearnace. With a bronze bush this cannot happen. Usually this type of bush is only seen in situations where there is more load on a gear than in the RE. However once they made this change, they decided to move onto 4th gear as well. No incidents, but a good upgrade. The parts we got last week and sent to our dealers included fourth gear as a courtesy upgrade as well as third gear due to the recall. Our bikes are being done by our dealers and each dealer only has a few to do so the timing will be different for us. None of our engines have been buttoned up yet so this is not big thing here. This left second gear as the only one with no bronze busing so the factory started shipping second gears today by DHL (which is much quicker than the previous method of air shipment). The idea is that by doing all of them the entire transmission will be upgraded to make this thing bullet proof and eliminate any possibility of seizure even if too little clearance should ever occur again. All of the engines we have looked at have been well within spec, but this upgrade will take any uncertainly out of it. I will have parts on their way to dealers overnight by Monday. This won't slow us down at all or if it does it will be by a day or two tops. It is clearly the best thing for the customer and is more than is required, but RE wants to be certain that even the early models will have all of  the upgrades. A bit of an unusual decision in this day and age, but RE wants to be known as a company that steps up to the plate if need be. I also know that parts for the UK also left by DHL today.
  There are a couple of other parts that we want to upgrade as well but those parts are commonly available and will not make a difference in the repair timeline. (specifically an internal bearing  made by a certain manufacturer on a few bikes ). No failures but we have seen evidence during teardown that a few of their retaining cages could potentially cause trouble later on, so we will  be replacing them as long as the engine is apart as a prophylactic measure. In the end you will end up with a better bike with a new warranty and all of the latest upgrades whether you need them or not LOL. I am personally surprised that REM was able to get all of these new parts distributed accross the globe in the time frame that they did. I understand the inconvenience but in the end you will have a better product. I don't think this will cause much delay in the UK either since not that many bikes have been buttoned up yet,.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:53:33 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:49:28 am
Rusty, what did your dealer say about a refund? I think I will do the same.

Yesterday I was assured that I would get my money back. Whether that means directly from the dealer (which it should do) is not clear so I'm taking the spares and docs back today. I'll politely ask for a refund, the issue is then for Watsonian and the dealer to resolve, not the customer.

I'm truly saddened to do this, I love the C5 but clearly my bike is not fit for purpose. We've heard several times how many thousands of test miles have been undertaken and how the UCE gearbox is the 'same' as the UVL but if that's the case why is there so much concern about reliability now?

Watsonian embarked on the recall without being made aware of the full extent of the work required and now some bikes will need stripping again adding further delay.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 09:41:45 am
I think the bikes will be OK eventually, its a bit unfortunate that these other things have come to light. WS did tell me that it was 4th gear also and that they would be putting right anything else that they found wrong. So I suppose that covers what Kevin has pointed out.
I still think (repeat) we have a great machine, and all will be overcome.
I think the biggest problem in the UK is communications, or lack of them. As I have said before I have received not one call from WS or my dealer. I have had to do all the calling etc. Also my dealer isn't communicating. I eventually received a letter from WS 2 weeks old ( and an apology) from WS, via email, because purchases names and address's was locked up in someones briefcase and he was on holiday!! Hence these details couldn't be given to WS.
Its high time someone, somewere, got there act together. They just need to get on with it all sharpish.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 01:04:20 pm
I hope you will reconsider Rusty, you were my hero. The first guy with a C5 that I ever spoke to!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:06:34 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Englishabroad

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:05:37 pm
Hi Kevin,

Does the first shipment of C5s (which includes my bike) have the bronze bushes and other modifications already installed?

For what it's worth I do think you're handling the recall very well.

Thanks

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09:02 am
Are the gaskets being carefully removed and new ones placed or are the old ones being reused through all this opening, closing and opening of the uce?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 03:29:21 am
 A recall is costly enough.  By stepping up to the plate and making things better than right by re starting the warranty period, R.E. is making a "good show of things" for themselves.
I would think that they would be using new gaskets as well.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 04:30:35 am
The case "gaskets" are RTV.
It can't be "re-used".
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 04:44:28 pm
I'm more than a bit surprised at some of the recriminations I've been reading. Find me a manufacturer these days who hasn't issued a recall - Toyota, BMW, anyone. No manufacturer is perfect. It's how the manufacturer handles their problems that reveals their sense of responsibility.

Does anyone remember exploding Ford Pintos, and the revelation that internal company memos argued that it would cost less to pay lawsuit claims for the injuries and deaths caused by the fuel tank than to fix the problem? I, for one, am delighted Royal Enfield decided not to take that approach.

I have a lovely green 500CC porch ornament at the moment, and I'm as impatient as anyone to get it on the road again. But I'm perfectly happy with the way RE and Kevin have handled the issue. Not only are the problems being fixed, we're getting a free upgrade in spec, with a renewed two-year warranty at the end of it. That's worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 05:24:54 pm
I'm more than a bit surprised at some of the recriminations I've been reading. Find me a manufacturer these days who hasn't issued a recall - Toyota, BMW, anyone. No manufacturer is perfect. It's how the manufacturer handles their problems that reveals their sense of responsibility.

Does anyone remember exploding Ford Pintos, and the revelation that internal company memos argued that it would cost less to pay lawsuit claims for the injuries and deaths caused by the fuel tank than to fix the problem? I, for one, am delighted Royal Enfield decided not to take that approach.

I have a lovely green 500CC porch ornament at the moment, and I'm as impatient as anyone to get it on the road again. But I'm perfectly happy with the way RE and Kevin have handled the issue. Not only are the problems being fixed, we're getting a free upgrade in spec, with a renewed two-year warranty at the end of it. That's worth the wait as far as I'm concerned.

A very positive, call it perfect attitude.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 05:52:09 pm
"A very positive, call it perfect attitude."  PhilJ

Amen!!!

Papa Juan

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 08:05:04 pm
That sir, is the right and proper way to think, Bravo!
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 03:43:40 am
The recall parts kit includes all gaskets, sealing washers, O-rings filters etc. There are no parts that are re-used except hard parts. When the job is finished it is " as new", This is a professional operation to make sure it is done correctly.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 10:11:03 am
I just got a call from WS saying my bike will be delayed but by only one day so I'm looking at Wednesday, which is great by me, I think I'll go organize a party.

As a note to why people are frustrated, as I said, for me this has been going on for months. I went to the shops in mid may with a brand new bike and haven't seen her since.

I've owned BMWs, Pontiacs (90's stuff, bleh) and Toyotas, had the recall and reliability things. My MINI cooper visited the dealer for recalls and warranty issues quite often in 03 when they were still new with teething problems. But there's a difference between days or even weeks of not having your new baby and months. Also none of these issues have ever been anything I would think are serious, ie that could cause me harm, which is not what my Bike had on both occasions, both could have caused me trouble if they occurred at speed.

I think Rusty and I both had additional issues and downtime on top of the recall. Also for most of the recalls this new addition won't cause more delays, but when you've been waiting so long even little things seem massive.

I'm just glad this will soon be over and I can start catching up on all this riding and try to re-organize this road trip we were planning for June.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:38:23 am by JamesC5 »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 11:35:51 am
It doesn't evoke sympathy when it's been just over 1 month. Certainly not MONTHS.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 11:37:58 am
I hope you have her home as soon as possible.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:21 pm
It doesn't evoke sympathy when it's been just over 1 month. Certainly not MONTHS.

Next week will have been 2 monthS. And I don't want sympathy, thanks. 

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 01:11:34 pm
I think Rusty and I both had additional issues and downtime on top of the recall

That's true for my part but ironically what turned out to be a great opportunity was missed, that's why I'm frustrated.

My bike was knocked over on the Thursday before the Watsonian open weekend and was taken to the importers on the Saturday. The car owners insurers admitted liability and requested a quote for repairs a week later. How convenient is that, the bike’s in for a recall and at the same time the damaged parts could be replaced….provided they were able to prepare a quotation and get it approved.

Since then the only news I‘ve had was last Friday when I was told about the additional recall work. When I enquired about the damaged parts quotation no progress had been made, surely between my dealer and the importer they could have got a quote together, they’re an hour and a half apart.

Anyway, I got a call from Ben (Watsonian) this morning assuring me that the bike will be fixed by Friday. If they can incorporate fixing the accident damage then they will but I said that shouldn’t delay delivery of the bike to my dealer.

A refund will be out of the question, Watsonian won’t support the dealer and so I’ve got no chance. There’s no point in taking it any further.

I just hope that if and when I get to ride it again it continues to put a smile on my face. Keep an eye on e-bay just in case.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 03:12:02 pm

I just hope that if and when I get to ride it again it continues to put a smile on my face. Keep an eye on e-bay just in case.

That's what I'm holding out for.
If it wasn't such a pleasure to ride in the first place the wait would be much worse.

OTOH my 01 is turning out to be a pretty sweet runner and might loose it's name "white bitch" for something a bit more forgiving soon.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 10:36:43 pm
It'll make ya smile.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 03:56:08 am
"OTOH my 01 is turning out to be a pretty sweet runner and might loose it's name "white bitch" for something a bit more forgiving soon."  CJ

Br. CJ, you might wish to consider renaming her: The Bride.

Papa Juan

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 11:48:25 am
Br. CJ, you might wish to consider renaming her: The Bride.

If I get too sweet on it my 99 might turn on me ;D
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:26 pm
"If I get too sweet on it my 99 might turn on me"   ;D  CJ

Women!   :D

Papa Juan

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 08:35:36 am
I'm getting a bit confused here - perhaps Kevin could help me out?

This started with a batch of 1000 as I recall and bikes made after that were not affected. So now that what amounts to a gearbox upgrade is being implemented is this now being applied to all bikes and if not is it the case that the 1,000 bikes recalled will in effect be of superior spec to everything else being sold?

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 12:43:50 pm
I'm getting a bit confused here - perhaps Kevin could help me out?

This started with a batch of 1000 as I recall and bikes made after that were not affected. So now that what amounts to a gearbox upgrade is being implemented is this now being applied to all bikes and if not is it the case that the 1,000 bikes recalled will in effect be of superior spec to everything else being sold?

The original recall (3rd Gear) started with a range of engine numbers, I don't know whether the additional work (2nd & 4th) is confined to that same range. I think it might be because my dealer hasn't mentioned having to send back more bikes.

Don't worry about some bikes being higher spec than others, all that's needed is a reliable quiet gearbox that shifts easily and provided my bike comes back that way I don't mind what spec parts are in it. It's very unlikely that future resale values will be affected.

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:30:41 pm
I just returned from about three weeks in Africa to discover the news about the recall - it was a bitter disappointment not to be able to get on my new motorcycle as soon as I got back home. After walking in the heat of Ghana, and watching other Ghanaians fly past me on their motorcycles, I got to dreaming about getting back home to ride my new G5 Deluxe; I had just gotten it past the first oil change before I left for Ghana. I was even going to rent a motorcycle through a company that I found in Accra, but the owner had just left for a trip to the US, so I was out of luck on that front!

Is there some kind of priority list as to which dealers get the part? I was planning on taking my new bike on a trip to the Carolina coast and up the East Coast (in combination with my work at the Duke University Marine Labs) starting on the 18th of July, but I'm still waiting for my dealer to get the parts.  I know, patience is a virtue.

I do appreciate the efforts that CMW has made to ensure the highest quality and safety for their products. The Bullet is my first bike since my 1985 Honda CB700SC (which I rode until 2002), and it was truly a spiritual pleasure to get back on a motorcycle - and a gorgeous one at that! I hope that I don't need to drive my car to the Carolina coast.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 06:28:13 pm
I was supposed to get mine back today, but well, it wasn't today now. Hopefully tomorrow. The loaner I have is gradually failing. It's been leaking oil like mad, then the electric start stopped working except in first, now it doesn't work at all, it stalls quite often, seems like a misfire but whatta I know, and it doesn't want to kick start half the time. The 51 RE2 at least tries to turn over when it's kicked!

Still though, will just make me hug my C5 all the more when I get her back.

thefieldworker, I'd mention your deadline, maybe it can be done in time. It sounds like the total number of recalls in the US is way less than here in the UK so maybe it won't be an issue getting yours done in time, good luck!

Pitviper

Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 12:06:56 am
I was supposed to get mine back today, but well, it wasn't today now. Hopefully tomorrow.
I know how your feeling. My G5 was supposed to be done Tuesday. I'm still waiting! Maybe tomorrow. ???

mark

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 01:59:53 pm
Hi guys!

Well I have just had my G5 picked up,and It's winging its way to watsonian and squire.
I know some people are unhappy about the recall,but I actually take my hat off to them for doing it.
Many other big companies would just let this go,and ignore any faults.

I have asked them to find out if the upswept C5 exhaust pipe will fit the G5,as I think it would look cool.They are going to find out for me,as aparently I'm the first to ask?.

Anyway I have had my bike for 8 months and I think it's a fantastic machine.
3500 miles of enjoyment ;D

Mark. ;)
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:47 pm
Hey Mark

Are you from Devon? When my Classic was dropped off this morning the pickup+trailer was empty, Ben said he had to go to Plymouth to stock up on bikes for the recall then off to GV in Taunton, if so he probably went and got your bike :P

Let's hope you get her back soon!

J

mark

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 04:29:35 pm
Hi James,

Yes it was Ben who picked up the bike lunch time.
He had a green electra on the trailer already(previous model).

I don't mind waiting,I have just bought a mercedes 2.5 turbo to play with,or as my partner calls a pimp mobile.  ;D

She says with my terminator glasses,American police helmet I look a right wanker on the enfield and a bigger wanker in the merc.

But I said   don,t you mean "rich wanker" :D
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:16 pm
Watsonians should have a couple of spare [length tuned by computer] shorter performance pipes on the shelf for the C5 by now, along with the new adjustable height seat :0)

Pitviper

Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 05:42:51 pm
Report Date :   July 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number :   09V235000

Vehicle Make / Model:         Model Year(s):
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET ELECTRA E-5 EFI          2009
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET G5 CLASSIC EFI          2009
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET G5 DELUXE EFI          2009
     ROYAL ENFIELD / BULLET G5 MILITARY EFI          2009
Manufacturer: CLASSIC MOTORWORKS LIMITED, USA   Mfr's Report Date: JUN 12, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V235000   NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 196
Summary:
 CLASSIC MOTORWORKS IS RECALLING 196 MY 2009 BULLET ELECTRA E-5, BULLET G5 CLASSIC, BULLET G5 MILITARY, AND BULLET G5 DELUXE MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH THE UNIT CONSTRUCTION, EFI ENGINE. THESE MOTORCYCLES CAN EXPERIENCE THIRD GEAR GALLING ON THE CLUTCH SHAFT DUE TO LACK OF LUBRICATION. THIS CONDITION CAN ALLOW THE GEAR TO SEIZE TO THE SHAFT, CAUSING REAR WHEEL LOCK UP.
Consequence:
 THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH THAT COULD CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH TO THE RIDER.
Remedy:
 DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE THIRD GEAR AND CLUTCH SHAFT WITH INCREASED CLEARANCE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 29, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CLASSIC MOTORWORKS AT 1-800-201-7472.
Notes:
 OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 08:08:51 pm
Oh cool, well nice to meet another (somewhat) local Enfielder! I'll be in Plympton on Sunday for the Air Ambulance charity run, so glad to finally do a run on my real bike.

That green Electra was my loaner, an 07 and I was quite glad to see it go away... it wasn't very reliable, leaked oil like a crazy person and well just wasn't my Classic.

Rusty, are you still expecting (hoping) for your baby to be back tomorrow?

James

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:38 pm
thefieldworker, I'd mention your deadline, maybe it can be done in time. It sounds like the total number of recalls in the US is way less than here in the UK so maybe it won't be an issue getting yours done in time, good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion; I did call my local dealer (Carl at Union Cycle here in Charlotte, North Carolina), and it worked - he'll have my bike picked up tomorrow morning, to coincide with his receiving the parts from CMW later today. So I should be able to get my Bullet back before I need  to leave next Saturday!

I've been looking forward to making this trip for a while. Since having kids (my oldest is a junior in college), I haven't been able to just get on my bike and ride long distances. I have an excuse now - I need to be at the Duke University Marine Labs in Beaufort, NC (I will bring a cover to deal with the salty coastal air); during the days, I will need to work, but there's always the evenings .... And I'm just looking forward to the ride from the Piedmont to the Carolina coast; after my workshop is done, I will ride north up the coast to New Jersey (via Cape Ann ferry) to visit family. In fact, the brother that I will be visiting told me that he had just gotten rid of his 1985 Honda CB700SC (yes, he bought the same bike as me in the 1990s); now that it looks like my Bullet will be ready for this trip, I'm going to see if I can make him want to buy a Royal Enfield to replace it!

Thanks again JamesC5 for the suggestion to call my dealer.

WKinNJ

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 02:33:18 am
I do appreciate the efforts that CMW has made to ensure the highest quality and safety for their products. The Bullet is my first bike since my 1985 Honda CB700SC (which I rode until 2002), and it was truly a spiritual pleasure to get back on a motorcycle - and a gorgeous one at that! I hope that I don't need to drive my car to the Carolina coast.

I still have my 1985 CB700SC in the garage. Couldn't sell it because it was the first bike I rode across the US.

Wk

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 08:01:33 am
Rusty, are you still expecting (hoping) for your baby to be back tomorrow?

No I don't think we're going to make that now. The recall work has been done and Watsonian forwarded a quote for the repairs to the insurers (Directline). The claims engineer wants to inspect the bike, either today or Monday. Repair bill is about £400 ::)

Makes sense for Watsonian to keep it and they're giving me regular updates, we are making progress.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 10:39:51 am
Well regular updates are good, least makes you feel like you're at least somewhat part of the process.

I need to go have a ride in a minute, should actually go fast enough out of town to hit 4th gear, 3-4 was always dodgy so I'm looking forward to seeing if it's ok now.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:41 pm
Very glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction, Rusty. You may have listed it earlier in this thread but, as it's quite long now, can I just ask what damage was done? Just to give me an idea of RE spares prices. Thanks! :)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 01:50:55 pm
Very glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction, Rusty. You may have listed it earlier in this thread but, as it's quite long now, can I just ask what damage was done? Just to give me an idea of RE spares prices. Thanks! :)

All I know is that if you need a new CAT your looking at around £800 over here in the UK  :'( :'(
Cheers
Nick

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 05:41:30 pm
You may have listed it earlier in this thread but, as it's quite long now, can I just ask what damage was done? Just to give me an idea of RE spares prices. Thanks! :)

No problem, I posted the incident photos but not the damaged parts. The day after, I jet washed the bike and noted the following;

Bent front brake lever
Scraped RH mirror
Scraped RH bar end weight
Bent RH footrest
Pierced RH footrest rubber
Scratched screen (£70 to buy)
Scraped front mudguard
Scraped RH tool box lid (only available as a full tool box assembly)
Scraped RH rear indicator
Damaged number plate
Bent number plate holder (only available as full rear light holder assembly)

I haven't got individual prices because Watsonian have prepared the quote and are dealing with the insurers, they may have found other damage (my heart wasn't really in it tbh).

When you consider that some of those parts come pre-painted in the C5 colour and the bill includes labour it's not too bad, 2 hours to fit that lot maybe? That's why I'm surprised that the insurance company want to inspect the bike.

If I ever see the quote I'll post accurate prices.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 02:30:22 pm
Watsonians should have a couple of spare [length tuned by computer] shorter performance pipes on the shelf for the C5 by now, along with the new adjustable height seat :0)
Tell me more about this adjustable height seat ! link? pictures?
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:03 pm
All I know is that if you need a new CAT your looking at around £800 over here in the UK  :'( :'(

:o

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 08:13:43 pm

Bent front brake lever
Scraped RH mirror
Scraped RH bar end weight
Bent RH footrest
Pierced RH footrest rubber
Scratched screen (£70 to buy)
Scraped front mudguard
Scraped RH tool box lid (only available as a full tool box assembly)
Scraped RH rear indicator
Damaged number plate
Bent number plate holder (only available as full rear light holder assembly)

I haven't got individual prices because Watsonian have prepared the quote and are dealing with the insurers, they may have found other damage (my heart wasn't really in it tbh).

When you consider that some of those parts come pre-painted in the C5 colour and the bill includes labour it's not too bad, 2 hours to fit that lot maybe? That's why I'm surprised that the insurance company want to inspect the bike.

If I ever see the quote I'll post accurate prices.
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, not bad - some of the Jap rear assemblies are a couple of hundred alone. Let's hope the Cat is reliable though! I bet the fuel injection costs an arm and a leg too.