Author Topic: Properly breaking in (running in) a UCE engine  (Read 8959 times)

voudou

• Scooter
on: July 03, 2009, 01:23:56 pm
Hi guys,

newbie without a RE (still) here again for more questions...

I have been trying to do my homework before I go and place my order on the C5, because I know I will get impatient once it's sitting in my garage.

I have been searching the forum and web about properly breaking in a motorcycle engine. I have come across quite a few different opinions. I am not sure if there is a "better" more correct way to go about it for a RE.

I am sure most of you are familiar with this guys outlook on the matter:

Motoman: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I do not know much about engines. Can someone that does, let me know if this is correct information. I do know however, that breaking in an engine is not all about the pistons and combustion chamber. But a lot of other moving parts as well.

Usually the manuals say to be easy on the engine for an x amount of kilometers... Not going over certaiin rpms, etc.

I searched the forum and didn't find a thread about this. If there is and I just didn't find it, I apologize. If there isn't one place for this info, would you guys let us know what routine you followed and how it's going so far?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Cheers,
V

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:11:21 pm
This is from the owners manual of my C5,  I broke mine in just like it says. Around 150 miles you can feel it really start to free up.

0-500kms (0-300 miles)
50-60kmph  - 35-40mph
Avoid going over half throttle, vary speeds. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes  every hour.

500-1000kms (300-600 miles)
80-90kmph    (45-50mph)
Avoid using over 3/4 throttle. Vary speed regularly.

1,000kms (600 miles and beyond)
Avoid prolonged full throttle operation, vary speeds occasionally.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:27:44 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:25:24 pm

I am sure most of you are familiar with this guys outlook on the matter:
Motoman: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've read that before and just recently a friend of mine with extensive motorcycle experience told me a similar break-in procedure.  I certainly wouldn't try that with the old iron barrel but with these new engine, who knows?  If you do try mototune's way I'd keep it quiet until after the warranty runs out.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:20:57 pm
None of the break n theory's are new.
I knew an old engine builder back in the early 80"s that had a"run it hard out the chute" approach to new engines. I never tried it.

As with RE, I would hold to the letter of the book. I wouldn't"t try to reinvent 50+ years of experience on run-in/ breakin.

I did the run in on my AVL engine as per the hand book. I now have 1900 miles and the bike is  much differant ( better ) than when new.

This is nothing like a Jap bike. Totally differant in all aspects.

My advice is to follow the book.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:06:47 pm
The AVL and UCE do not equal and Iron barrel.

When Kevin and the cycle magazine people went to India they took brand new UCEs from the factory and drove the stuffens out them. No failures, not surprising considering how they are manufactured now.

On my 08 AVL Classic I didn't follow the book at all. In fact I got two books with mine, one for the classic iron and one for Electra AVL. They both recommended the iron procedure. I chunked the  procedure and drove it... sensibly ... but did not baby it at all in the first 300 miles. I ran it up to 70 which was probably 65 +/- but never stayed there. Just common sense.

I've now got 12K miles+ and never had a problem or used any oil. I wouldn't be afraid to do the same with the UCE. Don't baby it or abuse it. Common sense rules

But this is my way and may not apply to you.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:32 am
Do I get the award for longest break-in time? I'll have 700 miles to go when I get her back.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:29:50 am
Lol James!!!

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as what you have done Phil. Somewhere in between. I am thinking of postponing my RE buy for the moment. Just to save up some money and not take a loan out for the whole amount... I think it would make me feel better... But I will still be doing my research so when the time comes, I will be more than ready to ride her right!   ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

V

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:57:07 am
I was speaking to my dealer about this the other day. Mentioned the 35-40 thing and he said take no notice because even with the throttle hardly open you'd be doing about 50 in top gear. His advice was basically take it easy and vary load but no need to do it by the book.

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:48:22 pm
Yeah I was speaking to a friend of mine today who has been riding motorcycles forever, and he said that the rule of thumb is to not go over 3/4 of the throttle during the first 1000klm. and mostly keep it to 1/2 throttle, with small bursts to 3/4. Once I get the bike I will probably go on a nice riding trip with him through back roads in the country side of Greece to break her in... I want to be as careful as possible because I have a feeling that I will want to hold on to this bike for a long time...  :)