Author Topic: Won't E-Start in the AM  (Read 7791 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: July 02, 2009, 09:48:44 pm
Hi,

This is a curiosity question at this point because I have not even begun the easy checks.

But I wonder if this has happened to anyone else, and if so what it was:
Most mornings my bike won't Electric Start. It seems like the starter switch or wiring. I get nothing when I press the starter button/switch. I usually kickstart it anyway so it's not been a big deal. When I kick it over it's like normal. Then, usually, after I drive it to work the E-start button will work when I go to use the bike in the afternoon. But the next morning it's dead again.

I'd hoped my new TCI unit would cure this but it didn't.

Anyone had this happen?

Matt

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:38 pm
That is similar to the problem in my last post.
Is your side stand safety switch still connected to your TCI ?

That was causing me problems with the E-start, then it was dead with the kick start, it would then magically fix it self when no one was around.

I think I found the smoking gun, we'll see.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:41:37 am
How old is your battery? It could be that it gets charged enough for afternoon starts, but is too week for the morning.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:11:45 am
In the "Sometimes Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction" Dept;
When I hit the button and nothing happens, I pull in the clutch lever and it starts right up.  That only happens in the morning.   ?   But not every morning.  ??
Run what ya brung

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:21:28 am
if if starts when you pull the clutch, then it sounds like it is not in neutral. Or maybe showing a false neutral. I have that trouble a lot. the green light will be on,, the bike will move freely but nothing will happen, till I pull in the clutch then it starts up.

gromit
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 08:05:57 am
I assume that when you press the starter button, the starter motor does not turn?

If that is the case, you can ignore the side stand switch. That will only prevent ignition.

It's either battery or a sticky solonoid.

My money's on the battery. When did you last check the levels?
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:11 am
I have a classic but have encountered the same problem. My money's on the battery not having enough grunt in the morning but gettin charged as you ride during the day. My starter would not work often in the morning and anytime I killed the bike at a light I was dreading using my thumb but you know what? It almost always worked. Now, what causes the drain at night? I would like to know.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23:47 am
i don't think its the battery. i had the same problem for a long time then i put a screwdriver  across the selonoid terminals. for some reason or other ever since then it has worked but sometimes i still have to pull in the clutch .
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 07:41:33 pm
Now, what causes the drain at night? I would like to know.

Jon,
it's not a drain happening at night but the inability of the battery to hold its charge overnight.

A healthy fully charged battery will measure the same ampere / hour rating when left for days on end when measured with a deep discharge a/H meter.

Low electrolyte levels or failing cells will cause this reading to deminish over time.

Hence the batteries ability to start the bike after a run when it has a full, charge.

Next morning, it's a different thing.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:28:15 pm
That is similar to the problem in my last post.
Is your side stand safety switch still connected to your TCI ?

That was causing me problems with the E-start, then it was dead with the kick start, it would then magically fix it self when no one was around.

I think I found the smoking gun, we'll see.

Well it was your last post that prompted me to finally post this. I even thought of putting the question there but didn't want to hijack the thread. In answer to your question: no, I disconnected the sidestand switch back in 2007.

Matt

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 09:30:01 pm
How old is your battery? It could be that it gets charged enough for afternoon starts, but is too week for the morning.

Well I hadn't thought of that. I'm on my second battery but it might be time for a new one. Hmmmm...

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:31:53 pm
In the "Sometimes Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction" Dept;
When I hit the button and nothing happens, I pull in the clutch lever and it starts right up.  That only happens in the morning.   ?   But not every morning.  ??

Very consistently in the AM. Not quite 100% but maybe 95-99%...

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 09:34:13 pm
if if starts when you pull the clutch, then it sounds like it is not in neutral. Or maybe showing a false neutral. I have that trouble a lot. the green light will be on,, the bike will move freely but nothing will happen, till I pull in the clutch then it starts up.

gromit

Hmmm...another thing I haven't thought of - or checked. That's a real easy check - the kind I like. Will look at it next time...

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37:05 pm
I assume that when you press the starter button, the starter motor does not turn?

If that is the case, you can ignore the side stand switch. That will only prevent ignition.

It's either battery or a sticky solonoid.

My money's on the battery. When did you last check the levels?

I checked the levels in January and it was good. I do it (even though it's a pain) every 3000 kms. I don't get anything from the starter button. There's no indication of current: ammeter or indicator lights etc.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 12:28:25 am
Mine does that all the time. E starts when warm, but not first thing in the morning. Even with a new battery.