Author Topic: Extra Headlamp Security  (Read 3426 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
on: October 15, 2007, 05:05:18 am

With the 7-inch Tri-Bar lamp installed, I recently had a bit of excitement when the rim popped loose at 65 MPH in rush hour on a busy highway. I didn’t enjoy holding it in place with my left hand while working my way to a stop on the shoulder with the other. Even with the adapter ring, the lamp is deep enough to fit tightly against the speedometer cable and wiring harness.

I found that I could get a better fit and more secure closure by trimming the plastic sleeves back on the spade connectors and carefully bending the spades outward. I then filed a groove in the retainer with a triangular file to better grip the inside of the headlamp rim. And while you are at it, that dielectric grease really makes for good weather proof contacts.

Yours,
Bill Deutermann

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:06:48 am
I just got done doing that to my 7 inch headlite. It would not fit any other way. The wires have to connect from the side or its too long. You would think there would be a heads up on this in the box. Same thing with the pipe and classic muffler,had to do some fancy bending on the muffler bracket, they know this, they have been building these bikes since Christ was a child. Still love it though...
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.