Author Topic: Newbie wanting a RE Classic C5  (Read 5143 times)

voudou

• Scooter
on: July 01, 2009, 01:53:50 pm
Hello everyone,

I have spent the last few days reading through your forum quite a bit... I have been itching to by a bike the past few months. I currently ride a Peugeot 125 cc. Ever since I put it on the road, I have forgotten I have a car as well... It's pure enjoyment riding on two wheels... So I have been looking around, I am not a fan of modern Japanese crotch rockets, nor the new on-off bikes either. I do however have a soft spot for retro stling when it comes to automotive! I have seen Urals, older RE's, older BMW's, the Triumph Bonneville, Kawasaki W60 (i think it's called...) and finally the new Royal Enfield Classic C5.  Well I have to say that I have fallen in love with it. I went to the dealer (here in Greece) and had a closer look, and boy it looks the look! More vintage than some vintage bikes!!!

Anyway, I ride all year round, through rain and sunshine... (we don't get much snow in Greece). I have been told that the new engine is much more reliable and economic. Is this really true? I have read about 2 people on the forum that have had trouble and I am a bit concerned... Also, can the new RE c5 take a 3 hour trip 2up on highway speeds? It is one of my other concerns because my girlfriend and myself will be looking forward to some nice trips with the RE.

And one last question that I have not been able to find ANY info on line about... What gas does she burn? The older ones I know took Super Unleaded. Does the new one take Unleaded or does it have to be super?

Thanks for all your help... Hopefully I will soon be part of the RE community.

Cheers everyone.
V.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:45:26 pm
Hi Voudou
Just a short note from one who is having a minor spot of bother.
Go and get one order'd NOW.
Its a great gREat bike, I had'nt ridden for over 40 years, untill I bought my G5 Efi (DL). I realise now what I had been missing.
Cant wait to get back on the road
Finally Welcome to the Forum

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:09:15 pm
Drop down the community tab and go to buzz blog. The intro announcement is there. Do a search in the forum and you should find good links to things like the ny times, you tube. I read somewhere that economy on the c5 is better than my iron barrel 80 mpg. Not bad. As far as fuel, in my little town BP's highest octane works well in both my bikes and hopefully in the wife's up and coming c5. Some specs on on the c5's feature page in 'bikes' on this site. Hope this helps. Get ready for the onlookers and rubber neckers out on the road! You will be noticed
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:58:45 pm
Thanks for the welcome... Yeah I am itching to go place my order... I pass right in front of the dealer on my way to and from work, so as you can imagine, I do a small pit stop each time to have a smoke and drewl in front of the window. I know that if I get a retro looking bike, I don't want it to be short term. I want to hold on to it for a while... And I am (trying at least) to make slow steps in my decision making... Not an easy task. I think by the end of next week, my order will be placed. And it only takes 3 days for delivery... Oh boy!!!!!!
So far the Royal Enfield is winning by a margin!
1. looks
2. price
3. history
4. that mixture of bad boy attitude and classy style

Marttyn, I was reading your post and that was one of the things that set me back, but hearing you say (in the long run) got put the order in NOW, seems COOL!!!!!

simonkey77

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 05:25:44 pm
man i live in greece too and im worried about the reliability issues but what a bike ...i fell in love too , every day im going to the dealer and look at the bike..well ill wait for a couple  fo months so to see the feedback from the buyers. 8)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:32:53 pm
I can't tell you about two up, but a three hour ride on a C5 is easy. I run super in mine out of habit, I think regular would be fine though.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:23:15 am
Hey,

nice to know that there are some other Greeks in here as well simonkey77, checking out the bike.
Yeah I went to the RE dealer yesterday afternoon actually and spoke with the guy. He told me that they run on regular unleaded fuel. No need for super.

The more I look at the bike, the more I want it.

r80rt, I have been reading your posts as well and smile with all the enthusiasm you show...

Still reading throughout the forum and rest of the web, about anything and everything I can find.

Cheers to everyone!
Thanks for the welcome...
V.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 12:33:56 pm
If your dealer has a demo bike available book a test ride, then leave a deposit because after the test ride you'll be in no doubt at all.

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:35:53 pm
Lol.. I hear you Rusty. Actually, he offered a test ride yesterday when I went after work, but I was in a rush... Plus the fact that I was almost sure of what  you're saying....
So I didn't stay for it... I might go in again by the end of the week.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 01:42:01 pm
You'll need to be aware of a danger from riding the bike.

In the brief two weeks I had my bike before it's demise I had a few incidents of people in cars cutting me up or driving too close, only to have them waving, giving thumbs up and smiling. Yup, they all cut me up or drove too close just so they could have a closer look at the bike :P

It was sort of flattering, but I'd prefer to chat with people about the bike when I'm not actually in motion
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:13:46 pm
Ha ha ha... yeah that's over doing it I guess.   :D But what can you do when you ride such a beautiful machine James!!!!
I hope you get your C5 back when they told you.. Damn you have gone through hell waiting I imagine. If you are anything like me... impatient, I'd be bouncing off the walls!

V

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:16:59 am
Hello and welcome voudou and simonkey77,

I run premium in my bikes. It is not required.
In my State the lower grades of gasoline are poor quality for carburetor engines. 
The better running is worth the little extra cost to me.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 11:00:08 am
Thanks for the input Ice... I am thinking that I might do that from the start as well... Just to giver her a bit more TLC right from the get go.