Author Topic: First Day with my C5  (Read 24888 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 03:25:09 am
"They have sold a version of it overseas for years called the TU250 "Grasstracker."
Check out this link and scroll down a little ways:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/2000-2009/2002e.shtml

I actually like that version better!"  Eamon

I do too, Br. Eamon.   :)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 08:23:08 am
Rusty - thanks for your latest update, glad your enjoying the experience - the real fun should start when she is run in.
Useful detail on the footrests & loom - cheers
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:24:51 am by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 01:15:33 pm
It took me a while, but I finally figured out why the looks of the TU250 just weren't "right".
It seemed like I should like it better, but I just couldn't.

And now I know why.
If you look at that TU250, the engine sits too high in the frame. And they even cant the engine forward, to get it even higher.

That TU250 is a dirt bike in street clothes.

They have sold a version of it overseas for years called the TU250 "Grasstracker."
Check out this link and scroll down a little ways:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/2000-2009/2002e.shtml

I actually like that version better!

Eamon

The EU gets some really nice bikes we can't get in the US.  Honda is really bad about it.  I believe Harley could sell a lot of their Buell engine bikes in a form  like the "Grasstracker", in XR1200 or 883 Iron or 1200 Nightster trim.

The difference is the TU 250 in the EU is a twin, the US TU 250 is a single. Maybe its the same case with a twin jug and head and crank, but there is a twin 250 here, the GZ 250:

Modification alert:  I just checked closer, and apparently the engines are all the same, but some of them have a dual exhaust setup (2-1) from a single cylinder  SORRY !

if the pic doesn't show, here's the link:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GZ250/2009/GZ250.aspx?category=standard
I like it too, but maybe the single better.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:26:12 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:29 am
I taught my wife to ride on a GZ 250, it was  a pretty tough little bike. Now she bombs around on 650 Savage with a big grin on her face.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:18:22 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 09:31:35 am
Latest update;

350 miles now so the bike will be going in for its first dealer service (and second oil change) on Tuesday.

Correctly fitted battery with terminals facing inwards, the positive lead to the starter solenoid has to be rotated through (thru?) 180 degrees to get enough slack. Once done the lead can then be routed behind the battery box to the terminal. It’s still tight clearance for the earth lead but the positive doesn’t foul anything now.

Taking hands off bars would have the bike veering to the right badly. Snail cam adjusters on rear wheel were at completely different settings. I know these are not 100% accurate but the difference between right and left was huge so I equalled them adjusting chain at the same time. It’s better but still not right so wheel alignment will be checked on Tuesday.

Big hiatus yesterday morning before daily ride. Turing the key resulted in nothing lighting up. All fuses were ok so I thought there must be a main fuse hidden somewhere. Battery out, seat off, manual checked, nothing. I remembered my dads old adage “if your bike doesn’t start first thing to check is the last thing you worked on”. I was sceptical because I’d only greased the clutch lever pivot the night before but while looking around the front of the bike I noticed a block connector in the headlight had separated. Joining it up solved the problem, full left lock and it separated again. Another case of bad routing so for the cost of a couple of skinned knuckles the wiring was re routed. Two hours riding time lost.

Engine & gearbox continue to improve, gearchanges are becoming slicker particularly 3/4 which hasn’t missed on my last couple of rides. Hard to keep the bike at 40 now so cruising speed has been increased to 50 for longer periods, still feels tight on the few times I’ve used more than ½ throttle so running in will continue for a while yet. The way it’s running at the moment I’d be confident that it could handle another tooth on the gearbox sprocket, we’ll see once it’s all loosened up.

Idle speed is too high for a big single imo but the manual doesn’t mention adjustment so I don’t know if it can be.

Still brilliant and still very glad that I bought it.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: May 24, 2009, 01:39:41 pm
Thanks for the review, man I'll be happy when they hit our shores.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: July 03, 2009, 12:22:04 pm

As for the competition:

Here's the 2009 Triumph Bonneville "Black" which is the $7799 version.

Here's the 2009 C5 at ~$7000

Here's the 2009 Harley Sportster 883 "Iron" for about $7600-$8000

And the 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic at about $8500.

What do you think?
I'm thinking that the C5 is looking pretty darn good in that class of cycles.

My impressions?
Triumph's lowest priced Bonnie. The 17" cast wheels look silly. "Black-out" job looks cheap. Nice seat. "Swirly" spokes on the front disc brake are hideous, and totally out of place on the bike.  I think the models from a couple years earlier looked better. Not a good showing from Triumph with this model. Limited Edition models at higher prices look a bit better, but are a thousand bucks more.
The Harley looks pretty cool in all black, and I kinda like it.  Headlight looks a bit odd. Cool fork gaiters. Seems a bit "chopper-esque" but that's expected on a  Harley. Has a belt drive. Not too bad a price for the package.
Both of them are "blacked out" to save costs, and aren't available in colors for the low price model. Basically, they are "entry level" models.
The RE has brightwork, wire wheels, nice colors, and looks plenty good. Smallest engine of the bunch, and the lowest price. Clearly by far, the most "retro". Top of the model line-up from RE.
The Guzzi has a nice seat, wire wheels, and some vague reminiscence of the older V7. Obviously a "re-bodied Breva".  Has a shaft drive. Not bad. Most expensive price of the bunch.

I have been reading through this thread and came up to Ace's post with prices of the competition. Just for a FYI, here is the deal in Greece... The Royal Enfield C5 costs 5800 euro, The HD Sportster Iron - 10900 euro and the Triumph Bonnie - 8600 euro. I don't know about the Moto Guzzi, But I am sure that it is up there... So in Greece, the RE is way lower in price than the competition. I was interested in the HD iron (a beautiful bike) but I can get myself a slightly used 4x4 jeep with that kind of money... And the Enfield (let's face it) is more unique on the road (something that I like quite a bit). With that being said, RE has won me by a margin. (Mind you, I still haven't put my order in yet... But I am CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!)

Cheers everyone....
With that said, I guess the small

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: July 03, 2009, 01:13:58 pm
Go for it  ;D
Iron Butt Association

voudou

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: July 03, 2009, 01:27:08 pm
You're a bad influence r80t!!! 
Just kidding.  ;D
My heart is all over the RE C5, but the only thing keeping me still is this damn economic crisis going on... It's hit Greece a bit late and we are now feeling the pressure of it...
I am just a bit worried, that's all.... But in the end, I know I will "force" myself to get her!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: July 03, 2009, 02:01:35 pm
Yeah the economy is tough, I got lucky and sold my Triumph and that made the C5 purchase fairly easy. Buying a new bike will actually help the economy!  ;)
Iron Butt Association

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #55 on: July 03, 2009, 05:32:17 pm
Those are all nice looking classic style bikes but I don't see how you can compare them with the single cylinder C-5.  To my way of thinking there is nothing to compare it to, even the other singles, KLR, DR, S-40, etc, have a different type of engine.  You just don't get the thump with the light flywheel, high reving motor. 
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #56 on: July 03, 2009, 07:02:40 pm
Those are all nice looking classic style bikes but I don't see how you can compare them with the single cylinder C-5.  To my way of thinking there is nothing to compare it to, even the other singles, KLR, DR, S-40, etc, have a different type of engine.  You just don't get the thump with the light flywheel, high reving motor. 

Yup. Bullets (old or new) are in a class all their own!

Eamon
Eamon