Author Topic: Saw my first in person G5 today  (Read 1961 times)

Sasquatch_cycles

• Scooter
on: June 30, 2009, 12:51:34 am
I've been haunting these boards and am definitely going to get either a C5 or G5 Military.  I am visiting family in West Jordan, UT and went to a dealer in South Jordan.  He only had two Classics, but they are MUCH better looking then I thought.  I would definitely take a classic in green over a deluxe (I love the painted tank).

Some generic impressions:

1) That silencer is HUGE.  It seems pretty reasonable given the 1949 Vincent I was just watching on Top Gear.  I still think the upswept exhaust will be a "must order" (for off road use of course)

2) One of the Classics had a tan solo seat on it.  I wasn't impressed with the way the solo looked on the bike.  It exposed the black support rails on the rear fender.  I'm hoping that given the Military seems to be all olive that if you take off the two up seat and chose NOT to add a rack that it'll still look good with a solo seat.

3) That tan solo seat looked and felt cheap.  Maybe it wasn't the official RE product, but the cover wasn't taut over the padding and reminded me of the headliner from an econo car.  The stitching was wimpy too.

4) The stock seat is much better then I thought.  It isn't flat like I expected.  It is scooped out a bit in front. 

5) The tank on the G5 is GORGEOUS.  It has a really wide low shape that looked much better then I thought it would.  I really liked the pinstriping.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:21:32 am
Interstate motorcycles had two G5's when I was there, they are really good looking bikes aren't they?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association