Author Topic: 600 miles and beyond  (Read 14274 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:29:12 pm
Don't believe everything you see on TV, those mythbuster guys are good but they haven't spent a lifetime in the saddle.  ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:40 pm
Thanks, r80rt, for all your reports on the bike. I've really enjoyed reading them and I'm getting very very hungry to get mine now! I was told from the start to expect an early July delivery, (I'm having a Clubman built), so I haven't given any hassle at all but I think it's time for an enquiry next week. Your reports are everything I wanted from it - the feeling of old with modern day, Jap style, reliability plus excellent fuel economy. Long may you continue your love affir and keep on keeping us informed.

Finally, my best wishes to your wife and hope she has a speedy recovery.
I can't wait to see pictures of your Clubman! One of my all time favorite bikes. You are going to be very happy with this new engine it's really good. Thanks for the good wishes for my wife, she's going to be fine but she'll wear the scars on her arm forever.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:40:51 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

enfield_33

Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 10:49:50 pm
... I wouldn't put my life in the hands of the "Mythbusters"......
But they're sure fun to watch!   ;D

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:20 pm
The other thing about drafting is that you don't the cooling that you would get in free air.

A friend had an oil temp gauge on his Beemer that should the result of drafting is higher oil temperatures.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 12:39:05 pm
interesting....hadn't thought of that.

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 09:58:44 pm
Hi, R80RT,
Just read through this thread including your initial post.  You mention that not only do you have the new RE (lucky dog!) but a Savage as well.  I wonder if you could give a bit of a comparison, especially as to the best top cruising speeds of the two, fuel economy, quality of the ride, etc.
The RE is better looking, hands down, but I have been a Suzuki devotee since my teen years and my dad still owns his old GN400 thumper.
I think the Savage or S40 or whatever it's called nowadays would be a good yardstick to measure the UCE bike with.

Mark :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:33 pm
I would say the fit and finish are pretty much equal between the two, performance is very close with a slight edge going to the Savage on acceleration. They both feel good at 55-60 mph, the S40 may have a higher top end, but I'll never know what the top speed on either of them is. The Enfield gets much better mileage, the Enfield handles better, the S40 is slightly smoother because of the counter balancer. The S40 has a timing chain that's known to stretch, the Enfield has good old pushrods. The Suzi is a great fun bike to ride, But The C5 is just more fun, it'll do anything the Suzi will do and look better doing it.
Iron Butt Association