Author Topic: 600 miles and beyond  (Read 14287 times)

enfield_33

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 03:27:27 pm
Riding with trucks can be an adventure.  A few years ago I was passing one when the fuel cut out, leaving me fumbling to turn the petcock to reserve.  Got it done but it was not fun. 

F.I. takes care of that problem (unless you've dumbly run out of gas).

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 03:49:26 pm
This is my first fuel injected bike, I've fought owning one for years and now I feel stupid, FI is a wonderful thing.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 04:57:22 pm
Doomed, As I understand drafting, it only works up close and personal. Might not be a very good plan to kiss an 18 wheeler.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 05:36:34 pm
"Thanks Cabo, I'll be off the bike for a day or two, my wife hit some gravel in a corner today, she was going slow but now has 14 stitches, some bruised ribs and a bad case of road rash. I'll be changinging bandages for a few days. There is nothing worse than loking in your mirror and seeing someone you love hit the pavement. You guys go hug your wife and let her know you love her."  r80rt

Br. Dannie, sorry to hear about Mrs. Mullins' mishap... I'm happy to know that she has minor injuries... I wish her a speedy recovery... I hope you can manage your withdrawal symptoms (:D)... the pavement as the old Romans might say remains: INVICTUS
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 05:49:56 pm
are you familiar with the roads between chicago and minn? to aviod interstates. i sometimes take hwy`12  to get to wis. lots of good ways to go . i live on hwy  's14-61 in wis. w2hat part of minn. are you going too?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 05:58:40 pm
"Thanks Cabo, I'll be off the bike for a day or two, my wife hit some gravel in a corner today, she was going slow but now has 14 stitches, some bruised ribs and a bad case of road rash. I'll be changinging bandages for a few days. There is nothing worse than loking in your mirror and seeing someone you love hit the pavement. You guys go hug your wife and let her know you love her."  r80rt

Br. Dannie, sorry to hear about Mrs. Mullins' mishap... I'm happy to know that she has minor injuries... I wish her a speedy recovery... I hope you can manage your withdrawal symptoms (:D)... the pavement as the old Romans might say remains: INVICTUS

Thank you Cabo, she's a stiff sore little woman today, pain pills have her sleeping most of it away. The first time in 5 years she didn't wear a jacket because of the heat, she'll be fine in a week or so but she'll never ride without armor again!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:35 pm
Amen!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 09:07:41 pm
Doomed, As I understand drafting, it only works up close and personal. Might not be a very good plan to kiss an 18 wheeler.
i think that most people are worried that kissing a big rig is exactly what i'm planning to do, and that's not quite it. really, i'll be putting standard stopping distance between myself and the truck. Mythbusters is pretty good on this and showed that . even a normal distance behind a truck improves wind impact and fuel mileage. also, they proved that tire blowouts near a motorcycle are largely exaggerated. as long as i keep a safe distance behind the truck, i should be fine, as long as i'm careful about it. better than having to deal with the rest of traffic on the open highway on an open bike...

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 09:35:54 pm
Nah, Nobody thinks you are out to do something silly. I just meant to offer some friendly advice.
Iron Butt Association

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 09:57:55 pm
Nah, Nobody thinks you are out to do something silly. I just meant to offer some friendly advice.
yeah, thanks for that link pretty useful stuff there. and don't worry, think that tailgating a big rig is straight up stupid, which is why i won't, but i will be looking to ride behind one or two to see if it helps with fatigue.

also, i'm looking at making it a three day trip, with the whole afternoon to myself in Chicago, so the superslab is really the only way to go.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:12 pm
I've done a lot of long distance stuff, if you are close enough to a truck to get any benefit you are way to close, any farther back and it will buffet the hell out of you. The damn things are dangerous. Just be careful and have a great ride, take lots of pictures
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 01:43:10 am
My feelings too r89rt. But I will ride in their presence and let them know I'm there. Most of the truckers are good drivers and you can depend on them not to get themselves into trouble.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 01:47:16 am
Yeah I do ride in their presence, but I give them a wide berth.  :D
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 08:32:51 pm
Thanks, r80rt, for all your reports on the bike. I've really enjoyed reading them and I'm getting very very hungry to get mine now! I was told from the start to expect an early July delivery, (I'm having a Clubman built), so I haven't given any hassle at all but I think it's time for an enquiry next week. Your reports are everything I wanted from it - the feeling of old with modern day, Jap style, reliability plus excellent fuel economy. Long may you continue your love affir and keep on keeping us informed.

Finally, my best wishes to your wife and hope she has a speedy recovery.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:48 pm
I saw those mythbusters episodes.  i liked the one on drafting.  I tried it some and you'd be suprized how far back you can sit and still get benefit, without alot of buffetting and without risking your hide.  I could pace the truck at a safe distance and would hear the motor running at lower rpms.  There is a point of diminishing returns due to turbulance, though.

I thought the blowout episode was misleading and dangerous, because it gave folks the idea that it's not a concern.  They were testing sudden, catastrophic failures only.  Now, I've seen tires on trucks fail at speed which did NOT involve a blowout. The tire just starts to fall apart.  Like it or not, if you ride near a truck and that happens, you do risk having to dodge large pieces of rubber at highway speeds, which can take you out. that myth was far from "busted" and as a rule I stay away from trucks on the highway.  you'll do what you feel safe doing, but I wouldn't put my life in the hands of the "Mythbusters"......