Author Topic: 600 miles and beyond  (Read 14289 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
on: June 28, 2009, 04:01:28 pm
Well she's run in now and I'm still very happy with it. It will hit 70mph quickly but I didn't ride at that speed for long. It will run with 60mph traffic easy enough, the sweet spot seems to about 58mph. I've read some of the British bike mags that say this engine is equal to the Japanese in quality, and I fully believe that's true. I have a 06 Suzuki Savage in the shed that I've ridden many hundreds of miles on, the C5 will do anything the Suzi will do, and look better doing it. The blending of the old and new is amazing, I get all the sensation of riding a big British single and NONE of the problems associated with them. It really is the best of both worlds.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:19:37 pm
Sounds like a dream come true, Dannie!

I'm very happy for you!
And thanks for the helpful reports and impressions.
Keep 'em coming!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 05:58:19 pm
ooooooooh, i envy you greatly. i guess 600 miles isn't all that hard to do quickly. that's good because i'm going to need to run my future bike in over only two weeks, with another two or three preparing for my cross country trip to Minnesota.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:11:19 pm
The key to a quick break in is this, your ass has to be in the saddle! I rode to work three hours early so I could get riding in before work, rode for four hours after work, skipped lunch and went riding, got up at 5 am Sat and Sun, rode all day. Do it by the book with lots of stops for cooling along the way, it will pay off greatly. I'm very lucky to have miles of nearly deserted back roads to run, and I took advantage of them. The trip to Minnesota will be great, I envy you!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

enfield_33

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:54:58 pm
Cool that you can get out so much.  How is that springy seat for comfort?

Oh yeah, what kind of MPG have you been getting?

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:16:35 pm
The key to a quick break in is this, your ass has to be in the saddle! I rode to work three hours early so I could get riding in before work, rode for four hours after work, skipped lunch and went riding, got up at 5 am Sat and Sun, rode all day. Do it by the book with lots of stops for cooling along the way, it will pay off greatly. I'm very lucky to have miles of nearly deserted back roads to run, and I took advantage of them. The trip to Minnesota will be great, I envy you!
oh, i wouldn't be so sure r80rt. i'm looking at 1200 miles of superslab over three days on what will likely be an open bike. i'll need to condition myself appropriately. but i'm young, so i should be fine by the end. it'll definitely be fun. i'll just have to make sure to bring a tent big enough for 2 ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:00:22 pm
oh, i wouldn't be so sure r80rt. i'm looking at 1200 miles of superslab over three days on what will likely be an open bike. i'll need to condition myself appropriately. but i'm young, so i should be fine by the end. it'll definitely be fun. i'll just have to make sure to bring a tent big enough for 2 ;)

You're young enough to handle it.

Just don't use that 1200 miles for the break in.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:18:58 am
Am I to understand that you're hitting 70 after only 600 miles?!
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:51:41 am
yes I hit 70 for a short distance. Nothing major, a gentle lead up to that and back off again. According to my manual I should be broken in, and I followed it to the letter. I'm at 728 miles now and I Cruise at 55 just about all the time. The seat is a little hard at first, which is good in the long run. I think the riders weight will have a lot to do with comfort. My first tank full got me 68mpg, I haven't checked it since, I'll check it next time I gas up and see how it does now that it's run in.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:30:32 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 04:35:21 am

I think I'd avoid the superslab if you can, that kind of miles on a interstate is brutal. I did 3700 miles in six  days a couple of years ago, and did 80% of that on two lane roads. if you chose carefully you can cover some ground without all the truck traffic, and enjoy it more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:37:49 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 04:46:28 am
Great updates, Br. Dannie... very happy for you, man!!!   :) :) :)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 05:04:57 am
Thanks Cabo, I'll be off the bike for a day or two, my wife hit some gravel in a corner today, she was going slow but now has 14 stitches, some bruised ribs and a bad case of road rash. I'll be changinging bandages for a few days. There is nothing worse than looking in your mirror and seeing someone you love hit the pavement. You guys go hug your wife and let her know you love her.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:08:10 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:10 am
I think I'd avoid the superslab if you can, that kind of miles on a interstate is brutal. I did 3700 miles in six  days a couple of years ago, and did 80% of that on two lane roads. if you chose carefully you can cover some ground without all the truck traffic, and enjoy it more.
if anything, the truck traffic will be nice if i could draft at a reasonable distance. all i have to do for a few hours is to stare at the brake lights and turn signals. i will be spending one of those days in Chicago though, and i may end up with a wingman in a car about halfway, so it won't be all that rough. i'll be sure to post document it when i do it, and then post the whole trip. should be fun.

oh, and sorry to hear about your wife there. if anything, it just reinforces that you should ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LEATHERS/ANTI-BALLISTICS NO MATTER WEATHER OR DISTANCE. good lessons there...

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 01:00:50 pm
Every see those tire carcasses on the side of freeways?  They are the result of a truck tire blowing it's re-tread.  If one hits you, it's like being shot with a cannon at close range.  NEVER draft trucks.   

Give trailers with small wheels some distance, too.
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 01:04:59 pm
I hope you have a great trip, and I know you will. There is a saying among long distance riders, "If you want to live, stay away from trucks" I don't want to preach to you, but I know you've seen those huge chunks of rubber from one of their blow outs, you don't want to be any where near when that happens. Be sure to post all about the trip, pictures if possible  ;D  check this site  http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:09:03 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association