Author Topic: Update on the 570 big-bore project  (Read 4724 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 15, 2007, 12:14:15 am
Hey  Kevin, how is your monster Electra doing? Been awhile since we heard anything.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:24:28 am
I am in Salem Oregon at present, but I think our Jim reads this forum and this is his baby, maybe he can enlighten us
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:30:11 am
I've seen the Electra back there in various states of disassembly in recent weeks. I'll ask Jim when I see him tomorrow morning.

Keep your eyes on the Online Store, too! I doubt the monster-size Big Bore kit will be available there very soon, but I've seen some pretty cool new product being fitted and tested for Catalog 10!  ::)
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 03:47:17 pm
Kevin is right about it being in a state of dissassembly. We've been using it to test the fit of some new accessories. Business has also taken up a lot of our time with everyone in the frost belt getting thier bikes ready for the slow season, and our southern friends getting ready for thier riding season.

BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:06:22 am
Keep your eyes on the Online Store, too! I doubt the monster-size Big Bore kit will be available there very soon, but I've seen some pretty cool new product being fitted and tested for Catalog 10!

I have been looking in the store section, but have seen no items in the "NEW" section. When does the new catelog come out? Hope they have a highway peg setup in there, and maybe some cosmetic items for the Electra (like a replacement for that god-awful bracket that nearly covers the rear fender).

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 05:45:25 am
The catalog is still in process. We never really know when it will come out. It is an overwhelming job and we try to get it our by Thanksgiving, but rarely make it. We most likely won't put much in the Internet Store until we have the catalog finished, The exceptions are items which we purchase for inventory before the catalog comes out.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:15:47 pm
It has been a busy fall keeping all of our owners and dealers in parts, accessories, and Tech help. The old shop Electra has been sitting there and occasionally canabalized for parts to fix an emergency.

It is not fully back together, still missing the seat, license plate holder, side covers, decor covers, headlight, etc. but I kicked it over and it started on the second kick. It has great compression.  And, it sounds wonderful . The vibration level with the heavier piston seems close to the original. It's certainly not excessive.

The pipe is starting to turn a little blue so I'll need to check the mix and re-jet before I take it around the parking lot. (Remember, It might warm all the way up to 40 degrees Farenheight today). I really would like to get some miles on it and some break in befoer taking it over for a dyno test.

I took the time to paint the cylinder black to see what it would look like. It is a little short of where it would look like the Bullet Iron Cylinder, but does improve the appearance some. One could mask off the lower two fins on the head and paint them as well.
jim

[old attachment deleted by admin]
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'