Author Topic: Not quite right  (Read 1872 times)

pknopp

• Bulleteer
on: June 27, 2009, 09:33:19 pm
 I can tinker but I'm still not a certified mechanic.  ;D

This time last month the bike was running great. All of a sudden it isn't. I've only messed with the points and timing once just after I bought the bike but I've really not had a reason to check.

As close as I can determine I'm .015 @ 1/32 of TDC. Pretty darn close if not. I have all the needed stuff (oxygen/gas/spark) I even bought a new plug. Sometimes it starts easily. sometimes it wan't to pop on me. Sometimes it seems to be running O.K., sometimes it sputters.

My first inclination would be my coil (never has been replaced) (2000). But would that cause the backfire pop when I kick it?

I checked the tappets and they are good. I have it idling really well right now. It just isn't right.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:13:26 pm by pknopp »
2000 Dlx

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:15:11 pm
 Just to note. I advanced it just bit. Pop. I retarded it just a bit. Pop.

Back to where it was. pop

So I am getting spark.
2000 Dlx

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:37:46 pm
      Did you check/set the gap? The gap determines dwell (the amount of time the points are open). Set the gap to EXACTLY .014". Then set the timing (when the points start to open) to specification. If you are precise at setting the points you can re-set them when necessary and the timing will always be OK. With new points you will have to do both operations again.
     You could have other issues, but this would be the place to start since you have already touched there.

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:12:32 pm
Exactly never actually ever seemed exact to me. It's a tight fitting .015. The only place it will start is timed right exactly where it was. it will idle but when I go to take off. sputter, pop.
2000 Dlx

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:00:19 am
     Assuming the valves and timing are correct you then have a compression or carburetion  issue. Carburetion includes not only cleaning the carb, but also intake. Is the air filter missing, plugged or oil soaked? Is there an air leak? Is the intake hose torn? Did you change the exhaust? These things are next on the list to check.

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:48:14 am
 Alright. LOL

It's starting without popping. I haven't been able to get out for an extensive ride yet, but it's better. (I'm not sure I did anything).

Danged if I've been able to find an airleak. See if this helps. It seems like I have to have the throttle adjustment screw turned in further than normal. Does seem to be running a bit richer than before.

What would that tend to suggest I have screwed up?  ;D
2000 Dlx

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:03:48 pm
Hotter temperatures will cause a slight enrichment of the mixture. If you originally jetted and tuned it in cooler weather, you could be seeing some signs of richness in these hot temps.

Start the bike and warm it up until fully warm.
Turn the large-headed idle speed screw in a little, until you achieve a slightly higher idle speed than you actually want.
Then turn the little bleed screw in and out, until you find the position that gives the fastest idle speed.
Then leave that right there, and turn the big-headed idle speed screw out to lower the idle to the desired idle speed. Choose a final idle speed which is fast enough to be even at idle, and not so low as to be on the edge of stalling out.

That should do you, if you have no underlying mechanical issues to sort out.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 04:47:11 pm
 I had it idling pretty well yesterday. I went for a ride and you could tell that it just wasn't right.

I stopped where I was going and parked it. Started it 20 minutes later. Pop. Did it again. It then started on the third try. Just wasn't right still on the way home.

I checked the points gap 4-5 times. Basically the timing is set at the only place it will start (right where it originally was).
2000 Dlx

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 06:03:00 pm
  Don't discount crappy fuel..I can't use a certain brand of fuel here in Wisconsin.  If it's an emergency I get only what I need from those stations and bee-line it to BP/Shell the next day.  I believe my Enfield is allergic to ethanol blend gasoline.  Does what you say if I tank up on poor gas. 

For what it's worth I run the Bosch coil with points and it really made a difference on idle quality, I lost some major throttle stumble after installing it.  Have you checked what the resistance is across the primary?  I could tell mine bit the bullet because it smelled extremely hot..and would get a spark type knock at road speed (30-45 MPH).  I couldn't even touch the coil the last time I ran it it was that warm.  New coil, no problem.  Hope you figure it out.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.