Author Topic: 2 weeks for dealers to get recall parts?  (Read 25766 times)

enfield_33

Reply #45 on: June 30, 2009, 02:03:28 pm
Br Juan,

"Some people take this glass and say its half-full and others take it to be half-empty. 
I'd say you're the half-full kind of guy."

Well done!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:44 pm
Recalls stink. And they stink for the dealers, importer and manufacturer too. I'm sure they are earnestly doing all they can (even though it might not *seem* like it to you).

They probably don't want to promise a timeframe they might not be able to meet - so their estimate may be a little long.

Just remember, we didn't buy YamaKawiZukis so we have to expect things to be a little different. We usually cut our host the occasional slack - goodness knows he cuts it for us enough!

Patience friend.

Matt

If you'll look at the very first reply to this post (weeks ago) it was an effort to make the best of the situation. Each of us decides how we're going to respond to certain circumstances - that's our choice.

I'll get off my soap box now...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 06:58:50 pm
Dear Brothers and Sisters:

I offer the two following short stories to, in particular, those colleagues who are experiencing the UCE recall.  Both stories are true and, among others, include lessons about patience and positive thinking.  I sincerely hope you put them to good use in your less than ideal – but very temporary – UCE recall situations.

Absolutely No Regrets

I know this fellow who first spoke of getting a motorcycle to the small group of family members and close friends who followed him out of the funeral home, as he stepped out for a cigarette, during his mother's viewing.  All those around him were very surprised to hear his statement "I'm going to start looking at motorcycles."  This was especially the case with his wife and soul mate of 31 years at the time.  She and the others in the group asked questions like what are you saying and why at this point in your life?  His responses were: "When I was about 10 years old, I drew the first art work worthy of going on the refrigerator's door.  It was a motorcyclist leaned over on a curve ahead of a cloud of dust.  As all of you know, my father" (who had passed away 9 years earlier) "was a car guy.  Although he thought motorcycles were dangerous, it would have not killed him to have seen me on a motorcycle.  When I was 15 years old, my mother, on the other hand, said to me: 'It would kill me to see you on a motorcycle.'  This is why I am now going to start looking at motorcycles."  He was 52 years old when he buried his 85 year old mother.  

This fellow can be seen on his motorcycle all over town and even when he visits his parents at the cemetery.  You cannot miss him because he wears an open face helmet and he rides with a huge smile on his face.  Those that do not know about his two-wheel career and ride with him make comments like you have ridden all your life or you have ridden a ton.  Those who do know him and his motorcycle story have asked him do you regret not having started riding earlier in life?  His response has always been: "Absolutely no regrets."

The Happy Young Man Who Won the Poker Run

The Greater Atlanta British Motorcycle Association (GABMA) held its 24th British in the Blue Ridge Rally from June the 4th through the 7th.  The Poker Run was held on Saturday morning.  I helped two other club members at the last station.  This was where the riders drew their 5th card and the three of us kept the scores.  At approximately 12:30 PM two participants drew the best hands of the day.  These were Four Kings and immediately following a Straight Flush.  These hands were drawn by a fellow in his late forties and his nephew in his late teens.  The Straight Flush hand held until 1:00 PM when we closed the event.  Later in the afternoon and without giving away the winner of the Poker Run, I took the time to talk to these two fellow motorcycle enthusiasts.  It turned out that the uncle lived in Florida and the nephew in Georgia.  The uncle trailers his two impeccable 1969 Bonnevilles and he and his nephew get together every year for the rally.  The two of them were quite the enthusiasts; they were very positive individuals, they were really "good people", so to say!

All the awards for all the events were handed out starting at 7 o'clock in the evening by the club's president.  The announcement of the Poker Run Award came at about 30 minutes into the ceremony.  When David heard his name, he sped through the crowd toward the club president on his two wheels.  He flashed an ear-to-ear smile at the audience, as he accepted the plaque.  And, the happy young man who won the Poker Run sped back to his place on his wheelchair.

Yes, the uncle has a Velorex sidecar attached to one of his beautiful Triumphs.  His nephew cannot – and will never – ride a motorcycle on his own.  But David can count on his uncle – once a year – to allow him to enjoy and participate in his favorite sport: riding motorcycles, especially in his uncle's sidecar!

My friends, I close by listing some of the positive elements associated with the UCE recall.  For the record, I do not draw a paycheck from either REM or CMW.  In the interest of full disclosure, nonetheless, I am a shameless agent for the Bullet in all of its variations.  In addition, I do feel bad for those of you who are going through your temporary trials and tribulations.  

The "filter" I include below should distill the matters we know into the pure truth or the facts and, obviously, trap the impurities or the emotions of the moment.

The Positive Elements Associated with the UCE Recall

Quality Control
We have proof that REM has actually instituted quality control standards, measures, procedures and records because the factory employees were able to pinpoint the range of the VIN Numbers affected by recall.

Identification/Solution/Plan of Action
REM readily identified the cause of the problem and its solution and developed a plan of action to fly the factory technicians and the parts to repair the affected units.

Transparency
REM and CMW (1) put the recall and its cause out in the public domain in a very prompt manner.

Clarity and Frequency of Communications
Kevin Mahoney (1) has made very clear announcements regarding the recall.  He has posted informative updates through the progression of the matter.

Expediency
Mahoney (1) got the Federal Government of the United States of America to move in an atypically expeditious manner.

Other Elements
All of these are there if you reread the public record in the CMW Forum we access and post into.    

Note 1: I exclude the other international importers and distributors only because I am not aware of the steps they have taken with regards to this matter.

In the end, I hope this post helps all, most or some of you.  

El Fin

Very inspiring and appropriate post, Papa Juan!

I enjoyed it immensely.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 10:47:02 pm
Brs. Enfield_33 and Ace, I thank you.  Yes, I am a glass-is-half-full kinda guy!  An optimist and a realist; in other words, a possiblist; or one who believes that any one of us can overcome even that hardest tests that await us out there.  Lastly, I take some of my cues from the words and actions of some the great individuals that preceded us. 

Examples:

• The "never, never, never give up" message from Sir Winston Churchill.
  • The perseverance of the Great Admiral of the Ocean Sea -- Cristoforo Colombo
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

BRGreen

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 01:04:51 am
Talked to my dealer today. He has 5 bikes on the floor that he can't sell. Hard to tell a prospective customer, "Sorry, you can't take that one as the transmission might freeze causing the rear wheel to lock up putting you in one heck of a skid."

When the parts come in, he will close the workshop for a couple of days to complete the repairs on my bike and those in the shop. He will have an assembly line set up and a team of mechanics to do each part. Every thing is set to go ONCE he gets the parts.

One great dealer.
Dave
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.

Pitviper

Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:52 pm
Called Interstate today and they have the recall parts. Now I just have to find a trailer to rent so I can haul the bike the 2 hours to the dealer.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 07:54:47 pm
Well, Br. Pit, you're making progress... I'm happy for you and hope that you'll soon be enjoying your new (and improved) Bullet.   ;)

Papa Juan

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 08:18:53 pm
Brs. Enfield_33 and Ace, I thank you.  Yes, I am a glass-is-half-full kinda guy! 

Yeah, but in my case people seem to sometime think I'm "full of it".  Is this something to do with the half-full glass business? ???
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 10:27:59 pm
Bill will have you going in no time, I'm glad to hear things are going your way!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:01 am
"Yeah, but in my case people seem to sometime think I'm "full of it".  Is this something to do with the half-full glass business?"  LJRead

I dunno, Br. Larry... it could be that you're a glass-is-full (always) kind of guy!!!  ::)  If this is the case, what do you fill the glass with?   ;)

Papa Juan

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:51 am
I think I'm a glass-is-full-of-it kinda guy ;)
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

BRGreen

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:10 am
Parts have arrived at shop!
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 01:40:15 am
OUTSTANDING!!!!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 02:09:38 am
Good deal, Br. Green!

Papa Juan

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 02:11:20 am
"I think I'm a glass-is-full-of-it kinda guy  ;)"  LJRead

:D :D :D

Papa Juan