Author Topic: 2 weeks for dealers to get recall parts?  (Read 25762 times)

Pitviper

on: June 22, 2009, 07:55:07 pm
 Why is it going to take two weeks to get the parts for the recall to the dealers? If the factory is air shipping them to Classic and they send them out to the dealers ground shipping, then it should be more like a week or less. It's already been a week since I was notified of the recall and have not been able to ride my new Bullet. So it looks like it will probably be another 3 or 4 weeks before I get to ride it again. Also I have to haul it 2 hours away to the nearest dealer on my dollar, and leave it for who knows how long till the repairs are made. Thanks R.E. for a wonderful experience with my new Bullet!!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:01 pm
Recalls stink. And they stink for the dealers, importer and manufacturer too. I'm sure they are earnestly doing all they can (even though it might not *seem* like it to you).

They probably don't want to promise a timeframe they might not be able to meet - so their estimate may be a little long.

Just remember, we didn't buy YamaKawiZukis so we have to expect things to be a little different. We usually cut our host the occasional slack - goodness knows he cuts it for us enough!

Patience friend.

Matt

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:07:59 pm
I've already posted my experience with regards to the gearbox recall on my BMW motorcycle. The bike cost almost four times the price of a new bullet when I bought it so perhaps I had a right to expect a slightly different level of aftercare service.
The gearbox had a similar problem with the possibility of 3rd or 4th gear locking up without warning. Once the bike was back and I had finished running it in the sickening experience of the recall was long forgotten.
When my lean burn was rebuilt by the UK importers after the big end failed (and outside the guarantee) It took five weeks, despite dropping the engine off and then collecting it myself due to the time for new parts to arrive. They wouldn't supply me with the parts required because they insisted on rebuilding it themselves. They didn't charge for parts, they didn't charge for labour.

From what I understand your guarantee will restart once the bike has been sorted, that's more than anything else I personally have ever heard of on offer from any other manufacturer.   Unfortunately sh!t happens and these things do take time and in this instance some of that time is not under the control of the importer.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:00:17 pm
In it's first year my new Harley spent 9 weeks in the dealer waiting for a new speedo.
The attitude of both Harley and the Dealer was "so what".
No loaner, No pickup and I had to argue with them to even acknowledge that there was even a problem.
If REM or CMW wanted to they could probbly slip some hack job through and not even have to do most of them but they want to set up a plan and do the job right.
Sometime doing the job right takes more than a day or 2.
Plus, If I'm not mistaken this is the first REcall that they have had in the US so there is going to be a learning curve for all.

Yes, my G5 is down too but when I get it back having it done correctly and once and for all is going to be much more important to me than some 5 minute hack and slap so I can suffer later on down the road.   

And last of all,
Thanks REM and CMW for taking a problem most manufactures would just blow off and actually making it right.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:55:54 pm
Nice first post

Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:27 pm
I can understand how he feels.  I'm royally PO'd about my aluminium tank and the fact that I have to fix it myself.  You pays yer money and you taakes yer chances. 
At least they're willing to fix this situation.  I imagine they may be a bit overwhelmed, too.
Run what ya brung

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:51:07 pm
Lets see. Looking at my 5Th grade globe of the earth........A frater leaves Madras/ Chennai and heads for the open sea at lighting speed of 15 knots,chugging towards Madagascar off the coast of S Africa.
This proposed route should be far enough away from Somalia as not to have to run a zig zag pattern ( more saved time) and sound general quarters for pirate watch.
 Once safely around the Cape of Hope( wounder why its named that?) and back out to open ocean you can batten down the hatches as you leave the S Atlantic and head into the N Alantic.
 Oh did I fail to mention its also Hurricane Season in the N Atlantic? We can hope for calm seas and of course no mechanical problems at sea.
 Finally off the Eastern sea board (U.S.)some where at anchor waiting for one of the ship pilots to come out and safely navigate into a shipping port. Now that we are safely in ,we can deal with customs,( use your imagination on how smooth that will be)
Some time after that, CMW has to sort through all this cargo and find your part.  
All said and done I think 4 weeks sounds fast to me........
Just my thoughts......
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Pitviper

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:13:09 pm
Nice first post

My first post reflects my first experience.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:25:12 pm by Pitviper »

Pitviper

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 08:20:37 pm
Lets see. Looking at my 5Th grade globe of the earth........A frater leaves Madras/ Chennai and heads for the open sea at lighting speed of 15 knots,chugging towards Madagascar off the coast of S Africa.
This proposed route should be far enough away from Somalia as not to have to run a zig zag pattern ( more saved time) and sound general quarters for pirate watch.
 Once safely around the Cape of Hope( wounder why its named that?) and back out to open ocean you can batten down the hatches as you leave the S Atlantic and head into the N Alantic.
 Oh did I fail to mention its also Hurricane Season in the N Atlantic? We can hope for calm seas and of course no mechanical problems at sea.
 Finally off the Eastern sea board (U.S.)some where at anchor waiting for one of the ship pilots to come out and safely navigate into a shipping port. Now that we are safely in ,we can deal with customs,( use your imagination on how smooth that will be)
Some time after that, CMW has to sort through all this cargo and find your part.  
All said and done I think 4 weeks sounds fast to me........
Just my thoughts......
"The factory has assembled repair kits and they are being airshipped from India." Kevin Mahoney

That means on a plane not a "frater" ship. By the way it's freighter.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:14:44 pm
"The factory has assembled repair kits and they are being airshipped from India." Kevin Mahoney

That means on a plane not a "frater" ship. By the way it's freighter.
Good !You should be happy.
Isn't a pit viper  some kind weird snake?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:43:46 pm by REpozer »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:56:41 pm
Pitviper,
You gatta hang in there.
All joking has been  in fun.
This is a good forum ,and CMW is serious about customer service.
You do have to remember , these are niche British bikes made in India.
RE is no doubt going all out to take good care of you.
Let us know how it goes.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:04:35 am
Viper,
We tried to notify customers before the factory had even devised the fix which is why you are waiting longer than normal. The normal procedure is to notify the government, go through the paperwork and then issue a recall.
As far as recalls go, this one is going at lightening speed. We expect our first shipment of parts tomorrow, but with US Customs being painfully slow anything is possible. The customers to be taken care of first, then bikes on dealers floors and finally those in my warehouse. Also this is a worldwide recall so I am thrilled to get these kits so quickly. You will get a government approved letter  sometime in the future, probably well after the parts are at your dealers. We are waiting for them to approve the letter now.  Transporting your bike to the dealer will not be your responsibility so I have no idea where that came from. None of our dealers have been given those details either so if yours told you that they are speculating.
A terrible inconvenience to be sure and we understand being frustrated. If we don't hit any snags  this should be behind us and you soon. Hang in there. In the long run your safety is more important than most anything else.
I would encourage you to check on recalls on other brands of motorcycles and cars. You may be surprised. The NHTSA list for just May of this year is 13 pages long.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Pitviper

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 04:39:49 am
Viper,
We tried to notify customers before the factory had even devised the fix which is why you are waiting longer than normal. The normal procedure is to notify the government, go through the paperwork and then issue a recall.
As far as recalls go, this one is going at lightening speed. We expect our first shipment of parts tomorrow, but with US Customs being painfully slow anything is possible. The customers to be taken care of first, then bikes on dealers floors and finally those in my warehouse. Also this is a worldwide recall so I am thrilled to get these kits so quickly. You will get a government approved letter  sometime in the future, probably well after the parts are at your dealers. We are waiting for them to approve the letter now.  Transporting your bike to the dealer will not be your responsibility so I have no idea where that came from. None of our dealers have been given those details either so if yours told you that they are speculating.
A terrible inconvenience to be sure and we understand being frustrated. If we don't hit any snags  this should be behind us and you soon. Hang in there. In the long run your safety is more important than most anything else.
I would encourage you to check on recalls on other brands of motorcycles and cars. You may be surprised. The NHTSA list for just May of this year is 13 pages long.

I realize us UCE owners were notified early in the process for safety reasons and that the process is going as fast as possible, but it's still frustrating not being able to ride your new bike. I am glad the parts are near and hope to hear from the dealer soon. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:56:18 am by Pitviper »

Pitviper

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:47:38 am
Good !You should be happy.
Isn't a pit viper  some kind weird snake?

Happy parts are on the way, mad I can't ride my bike.

All rattlesnakes are Pit Vipers.  Water Moccasins (Cottonmouth), Horned Desert Viper, Lance-head, Eyelash Viper, the Copperhead, and some Tree Boas are a few other examples of pit vipers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:56:36 am by Pitviper »

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 03:00:01 pm
Not to derail the thread, but which tree boas belong to Viperinae? I never heard of this before.