Author Topic: Changing pilot lights to LEDs  (Read 4523 times)

mtrueblood

• Scooter
on: June 18, 2009, 08:34:21 pm
One of my pilot lights burned out.  The bulb looks like anything you'd find in a 99-cent China-made flashlight.  However, after trips to Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, Radio Shack, and a couple non-chain stores, I still had no replacement.  So, I bought the $18 All-the-lightbulbs-you-may-need kit from CMW.  
I was reading about LEDs on the Internet, and my impression now is that LEDs are available with the same base as the incandescent bulb, and that it's just a matter of popping out the old one and popping in the LED.  Is that true?
My neighbor's son works for Advance Auto Parts and he was telling me about a "194 bulb."   I'm not sure what that is.
Has anyone found an LED "bulb" that can be inserted into the pilot light base?

Thank you.

Michael Trueblood
Pittsburgh, PA
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:05:32 pm by mtrueblood »
Michael Trueblood

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:44 pm
I have replaced mine with LEDs, there are bunch of threads, I believe they are BA9s

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1141.msg11396.html#msg11396

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:54 pm
the slightly longer ones from the autoparts store will  fit. .i have replaced  both my pilot lights.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:20:51 am
Did mine too. They original  incandescents were only 3W each, or something, but two of them replaced with LED ones having the same bayonet base gives you half an amp back for more important tasks such as getting a spark out of the coil.

I also put an LED stop/tail light bulb and during my rewire, I made up some LED illumination for the instruments, to save a few more precious watts. The latter mod was only a partial success because my instrument illumination now comes on dimly when I apply the brakes. It seems that the tail lamp feed floats high when the brake light is activated, which is sufficient to feed back the few milliamps that the instrument illumination needs.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:48:52 am
A 10 m.m. LED (colour of your choice) will fit snugly into the rubber housing of the Pilot Light.

You will need to solder a 1K ohm resistor in onl leg of the feed to each LED.

There's no heat dissipated to talk of so the fitting into the rubber is not a problem.

They are polarity concious but won't blow if you get them the wrong way around so try them one way and reverse if required.

Available on Ebay or Radio Shack or any half tidy electronics store / site.

They should be pennies each. Cheap as chips.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:51:21 am by Tiny Tim »
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:11:35 pm

You will need to solder a 1K ohm resistor in onl leg of the feed to each LED.

I bought a set of LED on ebay. But did not use a 1k resistor.  I understand the need for one on the turn signals but why on the pilots?

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=ba9+led&_armrs=1&_from=

I got some ultra bright ones and they came in handy when my headlamp went out recently.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:14:17 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 02:04:34 pm
Tiny Tim,

Thanks for the alternate suggestion.  Everyone else has written that it's just a matter of pulling out the existing bulb and popping in an LED "bulb."  Obviously, that's an easier option, and I would probably go that way.

However, your suggestion brings up a couple more questions (from me, anyway).  I took the little metal ring off, and then I took the little light cover off.  Can the rubber housing be pulled out to expose the wiring behind the bulb socket?  And is there enough slack in the wiring back there to pull the bulb socket forward so that wires can be cut and spliced?

Thanks.
Michael Trueblood

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 05:33:21 pm
I bought a set of LED on ebay. But did not use a 1k resistor.  I understand the need for one on the turn signals but why on the pilots?

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=ba9+led&_armrs=1&_from=

I got some ultra bright ones and they came in handy when my headlamp went out recently.

Any plain LED would blow out with 12v applied directly. The semiconductor junction only wants to drop about 0.6v across itself and offers little resistance.  A current limiting resistor is added in series to mop up the other 11.4 volts. Automotive LEDs are often sold with resistors built in and red and black leads soldered ready for connection. I did my instrument lights with some of these these.

Of course, LED replacement bulbs ,with regular bayonet mounts, have current limiting resistor packs built in.

With LED turn signals, if you don't install an appropriate electronic flasher unit, you have to add some kind of parallel-connected high wattage resistor so that you get sufficient load to make the original unit work properly.

(The actual LEDs in the turn signals will have current controlling series resistors somewhere in the line or they too would have a very short but bright working life.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:39:00 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

geoffbaker

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:04:09 pm
Hope we're not confusing mtrueblood here!

To recap... any 9mm BA9 (which fit the old T3 1/4 bayonet fitting on old Brit bikes) LED will work without alternation because as Chasfield says, they have a limiting resistor built in. If you make your own using raw LEDs you must include a resistor as Chas did.

The ultrabright ones include their own buck/boost circuits which limit the current precisely. These (in the 3W and up range) are improving but are still not easy to use in turn/tail applications as they get hot, and are polarity specific. I blew one because the copper "tongues" on the tail light bulb housing were loose and allowed it to short.

Again, any LED you can buy at a store that has the right fitting (BA9, BA7, 1156 and 1157 are all you need on these bikes) willl work fine without any additional circuitry with ONE exception, LED turn signals need a digital flasher, which is also cheap and available at most part stores. www.superbrightleds.com is a good source for bulbs.

The only other issue to be wary of is that many of the LED cluster bulbs that have 30 or more LEDs may not fit in the turn signal housing or tail lamp housings because the LED cluster is too tall or wide to fit.

And don't expect them to be brighter than what you have... they wont be... maybe in another year or so they will have ones that are brighter than stock.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:21:26 am
I installed a .50 cent light , after my pilot light burned out. Its a little bigger and brighter. It give the bike a slight Cyclops look, book still cool.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:00:43 pm
is there enough slack in the wiring back there to pull the bulb socket forward so that wires can be cut and spliced?

If you remove the headlamp from the nacelle and remove the chrome outer cover for the pilot, as you pull the pilots forward out of the nacelle, you should be able to trace the corresponding two wires inside the nacelle. The go into bullet connectors which can be pulled out, thus allowing the pilot to be removed from the nacelle complete with its two wire connectors.

Reconnection is the reverse of the above

I'm sorry to have confused anyone. As stated by others, LED bulbs need no resistors (effectivley, they're built in). Plain LEDs do need resistors.
REgards

Tiny Tim

2005 Electra AVL

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:58:31 pm
Thanks, again.  

Generally speaking (and maybe this will wrap up this topic), am I correct in thinking that all things electrical are powered through a wiring harness (big wires) that is connected directly to the batter's positive terminal, and that they are turned on/off by relays that are operated by switches/buttons that are connected to the relays by smaller wires?  So, even those tiny pilot lights are getting 12v from the battery?

(I understand that the lights are on when the key is in and turned on, but for the sake of this question, I'm grouping the ignition with switches/buttons)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:00:45 pm by mtrueblood »
Michael Trueblood

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 10:18:35 pm
A good place to start is to look at your wiring diagram in the back of your owners manual.

geoffbaker

Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:57 pm
In the broadest sense, yes.

Power comes from the alternator which is rectified (switched from AC to DC) and regulated (kept from exceeding around 14.5v) and this power is then connected to the battery, which will receive a charge above idle speeds and will drain at idle.

All power except for the headlamp lo beam is then fed from the battery.

The headlamp on older bikes (can't say about the new ones) actually is wired direct to the AC for the lo setting and to DC for the high setting. Go figure! (It was a cheap and dirty way for the Indian manufacturer to meet always-on headlamp laws in the US).

The turn signal circuit has a relay and a flasher unit as well. Again, I'm speaking for older bikes as mine is a 2000. Newer ones may use more relays etc to handle higher power loads.

mtrueblood

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 10:53:43 pm
A good place to start is to look at your wiring diagram in the back of your owners manual.

REpozer,
I'm sure you're correct on that.  However, even with my drugstore reading glasses, I have a hard time with wiring diagrams.  I'd do better with steam lines or water pipes.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:01:52 pm by mtrueblood »
Michael Trueblood

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 11:03:08 pm
Yep, not a very good picture, electricity and water lines do share the same basics,that is path of lest resistance and  pressure .

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 04:09:13 am
Headlight on new bikes (at least in my 2009) is properly regulated and goes through a proper switch (once you remove that jumper - bah), and even works with the bike off.  No need to have the bike running to use the headlight.

Just changed my pilot lights and brake light to LEDs.  Now I can plug in something like a GPS on trips without being in the drain all the time.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 08:50:01 am
Good tips for wiring diagrams for the uninitiated:

1. Get it photocopied and blown up as large as you can without distorting it

2. Get a couple of copies

3. Take the component you're interested in e.g. the pilot light. To get it to work, trace one wire all the way back to the battery or the earth, then do the same for the other one.

4. Concentrate on one wire at a time. Try not to look at the diagram as a whole.

5. Use a highlight pen if you want to
REgards

Tiny Tim

2005 Electra AVL