Author Topic: For those who went with the Classic British Taillight...  (Read 4199 times)

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
I'm trying to figure out how to "clean up" the rear fender. I love the look of the classic British taillight, and I know that you have to drill holes to mount it, but I have a couple of questions:

1. How far above the stock tail-light position do you place it? It looks like it will partially cover up the Bullet-E logo, which I actually kinda like (I know, I'm probably the only one).

2. What do you use to cover the holes from removing the stock tail light assembly? Or, are they adequately covered by the license plate?

3. Is the Bullet-E logo a decal? Can it just be pulled off?

4. The stock assembly's gasket has left a pretty deep gouge on the fender. Did your fender require a repaint, or did a good cleaning and a good wax application clear it up?

I like a nice, clean look, but I'm just wondering the best way to get that.

Thanks,

Mike

PS I started asking about this here: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4559.0.html
Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:46:39 am
I have the license/taillight bracket as shown. I drilled below the decal. The fender is scarred from the stock "lunchbox" mount. I just washed and waxed. I found a black rubber cork and fashioned my own grommet to fit the rear fender as the standard grommet allowed a bunch of water and dirt from the rear tire to mess up the rear fender. I replaced the stock bulb holder with an aftermarket (cheap) Chevrolet taillight receptacle replacement from the rack at a parts store. The bulb holder that comes in the new light is a piece of &*^%.

I think the decal has a clearcoat over it.

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:16 am
Nicely done, Jesse.  It looks great.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:09:03 pm

This is my taillight.

I put the plate on and placed it to cover the bottom most hole in the fender and allow the wire harness through a the pre-drilled hole.  I probably could have drilled a new hole for the wire harness and placed it a bit higher on the fender...

I removed the Bullet decal..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:29:49 pm
Yes, but you have a chrome fender.  A painted surface like some of us have would make easy removal impossible.
I put a different sticker over mone;  "CAUTION- This vehicle is in danger of breaking down or exploding without warning!"
Seems to fit perfectly...
Run what ya brung

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:24:34 pm
Gently use a heat gun or hair drier to loosen stickers.

Coronach

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:30:29 pm
That's my concern with removing the Bullet Logo. So, I seem to be left with three choices:

1. Mount the light high enough to cover it. May be too high.

2. Mount the light low enough to not interfere with it. Looks way too low.

3. Partially obscure it.

I'm just curious to find out what others have done.

Mike
Columbus, OH
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 04:39:48 pm
Are we talking about the light in jess2dogs post? If so, I mounted mine with the pinstriping just showing at the bottom of the back fender. With it mounted there, the sticker at the top of the fender is out of danger.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Coronach

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:07:38 pm
No, the one in The Garbone's photo.
Columbus, OH
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

Glenn

• Bulleteer
  • 2000 Bullet 500 Deluxe
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 05:46:59 pm
I really like The Garbone's setup, looks very nice. But would that work with a dual seat? It looks perhaps a little too high on the fender.

otteryboy

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 05:54:54 pm
 :)

Very neat,

Tempted to try it!

Otteryboy

old dog

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 06:45:42 pm
 I kinda split the difference on the decal.Below looked too low for me and high enough to cover looked too high,so I put it up enough to cover all but the part that says Bullet.

old dog

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:39:57 am by old dog »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:15:57 pm
I removed my decals on my painted toolboxs by taking them off and holding them next to a space heater,  pealed right off...

I had the setup on the Dual seat before I went with the sprung pillion,  I used the shaft from the bullet lights to replace the bolts.  Did not break in the month or so of riding before I got the springer pillion.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Glenn

• Bulleteer
  • 2000 Bullet 500 Deluxe
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:05:57 pm
I had the setup on the Dual seat before I went with the sprung pillion,  I used the shaft from the bullet lights to replace the bolts.  Did not break in the month or so of riding before I got the springer pillion.

that's good to know. I like your turn signal placement, but wasn't sure if I could use the seat bolt holes for both the seat and the bullet lights at the same time.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 09:31:44 pm
Br. Mike, here go my responses to your questions:

1. How far above the stock tail-light position do you place it? It looks like it will partially cover up the Bullet-E logo, which I actually kinda like (I know, I'm probably the only one).  Position the light so that it is parallel to the ground.  I did not have an issue with the RE logo because of the chromed fender.

2. What do you use to cover the holes from removing the stock tail light assembly? Or, are they adequately covered by the license plate? I used a Hinckley Bonneville reflector.

3. Is the Bullet-E logo a decal? Can it just be pulled off?  N/A in my case.

4. The stock assembly's gasket has left a pretty deep gouge on the fender. Did your fender require a repaint, or did a good cleaning and a good wax application clear it up?  N/A in my case.

Lastly, I include the image below, which you can find (along with 13 other shots) in the the Photo Gallery, Members' Rides through the following link:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=1;pg=12
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla