Author Topic: Military Enfield  (Read 6035 times)

Monty

• Scooter
on: October 13, 2007, 02:36:56 am
Thanks for the replies on the High Maintenance.  That really makes me feel better about getting on.  Are there any of you out there that own the Military Royal Enfield?  I'm in the Army and I love that bike.   My only concern is would it be comfortable for a passenger to ride.  .  Thanks for the help

Monty

deejay

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 03:22:49 am
Thanks for the replies on the High Maintenance.  That really makes me feel better about getting on.  Are there any of you out there that own the Military Royal Enfield?  I'm in the Army and I love that bike.   My only concern is would it be comfortable for a passenger to ride.  .  Thanks for the help

Monty

They all come with the same double seat, which seemed comfortable enough to me. I swapped mine out for a solo seat, but the double has plenty of padding for both driver and passenger.

morsey

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:51 pm
hi
i have a military 1942 Royal Enfield WD/CO/B (see photos)

deejay

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 02:40:00 pm
hi

Wow, what a great piece of history you have there. Tell us more about it! You should start a new thread.

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:01:23 pm
I have a 2005 military model and aside from being extremely tinker heavy, every ride some sort of repair or maintenance is required.   The ride is extremely comfortable.  I swapped out the original seat for the solo seat and the matching leather pillion pad.  My wife and niece ride with me all the time and love it.  Its also fun to watch when I ride with my friends who all have Harley's, Buell's, Big Dogs, Kawasaki's, Honda's, and the like to see the crowd gather around my RE instead of their $20,000 + custom tricked out bikes.  As long as you don't mind getting a little grease on your hands every now and then and being passed pretty much all the time by traffic yet still enjoy the ride then this is definitely the bike for you.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

deejay

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 07:19:49 pm
I have a 2005 military model and aside from being extremely tinker heavy, every ride some sort of repair or maintenance is required.

This has to be an exaggeration, if not get your bike to a dealer asap.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 08:35:31 pm
It certainly must be an exaggeration - I have ridden mine hard and often, and so far, nothing other than an ongoing electrical glitch, soon to be fixed permanently, and the kick back have ever gone wrong with it. Change the oil, make sure the nuts are tight, clean or change the plug, check the tire pressures... and the reward to me has been reliability.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 10:40:49 am
I'm not exagerating and I have taken it to the one dealer out here and they cant figure out what is wrong with it. As such I've been left to my own mechanical skills to fix it as they no longer wish to work on RE's.   I'm going to try replacing the parts in the head with the performance parts and see if they hold up better.  Don't get me wrong now I love the bike dearly just wouldn't recomend it to anyone without some sort of mechanical skills.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

americanjunky

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 04:34:44 am
I ride my 2007 Military pretty hard and often no major complaints just some minor electrical things.
As far as the passenger ride my wife and kid both really enjoy the RE even over the Triumph.
"Keep the shiny side up"

dash8

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:02:38 am
Hi this is my first time on the forum I own a 2001 military bullet I bought from a friend who retired from work. He installed a big bore kit ,stage 1 performance kit and beefed up the internals(connecting rod and main bearing). As far as I'm concerned this bike is as reliable as any bike I haveowned. My 10 year old daughter loves this bike and riding on it.I do all the maintenance on the bike, but we have two experienced dealers here in Olympia washington and Salem Oregon.   

morsey

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 11:44:24 am
hi

Wow, what a great piece of history you have there. Tell us more about it! You should start a new thread.

The bike I have is one that was produced for a particular WD contract that used a Burman g/box instead of the usual Albion one. Jan Vandevelde from Belgium is compiling a history of the CO Military bikes and a register of the remaining bikes that are still around the world.
Anybody who wants a copy send me their e-mail address and i can send it to them.

geoffbaker

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 07:07:06 pm
I rode my military 2000 from Vegas to Tucson in two days, a very cold ride but I was surprised by how comfortable the bike was. I expected "thumper" fatigue but found the only discomfort was the cold - and the work I had to put into getting the bike started the second day.

As I've mentioned in another thread, it died as I got into Tucson and I've now stripped the head and am rebuilding the carb and cleaning the gas tank... when I'm done, I hope for some great and trouble free riding! My problem was that the previous owner clearly didn't perform needed maintenance, and the head was severly carbonized, there was rust in the tank, and the carburetor pilot jet was clogged.

I can't respond to the issue of maintenance, because I haven't had the bike that long, but I am sure that the military model is the same as all other Enfields... they are low technology bikes, and so long as you do all the regular maintenance, you shouldn't have problems. Unlike modern bikes, they dont have the same high level of design engineering going into them (with maintenance free systems), which means that you must take good care of them. But the advantage of a low technology bike is that YOU CAN do the work... it's all part of the fun of owning an Enfield.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 08:08:19 am
GeoffB

Yeah, it seems little and often but low tech stuff. I can't help tinkering with most machinery I own so suits me down to the ground. I probably have spent (no definitely) more time doing modifications ertc than riding this winter. Can't help it. Love working on it as basically a simple machine which you can see. My Honda takes twenty minutes to carefully get the fairing removed to see the engine!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin