Author Topic: Oil Oil everywhere!  (Read 3740 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 03:10:10 pm
Yes- behind the battery / under the left front of the seat. 
That doesn't have to very full before it sedns oil that looks like vanilla pizz into the air box- and eventually out on to the driveway.

I think by now, most people just get rid of it and re-route the venting tubes.  Plenty written here, and it's easy.
Run what ya brung

ace

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 05:22:50 pm
I don't get why not.  If you get oil up in the engine, how do you know jow much is actuall spread out and how much actually in the sump?
this stuck in my  "craw" when I pickedup my avl ,pulled thedipstick, nothing. Guys said start it, run it for a couple of minutes.Sure enough its fine, My thought the avl pumps are not positive displacement so oil can drain back through them, the crankcase collects oil;Hence its separate drain plug.

I "theorize"   the oil collects in the crankcase under the crank .dipstick is in the tank. starting it pumps it back out  into the tank(?) 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:10:25 am by ace »

zentrax

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 01:08:37 pm
i have an electra and solved this problem completely. buy a brass compressor check valve. run hose from breather on top of oil tank and place check valve beside head stay at back of head approx. you will need brass fittings to connect hose and one needs to be 90 degrees so after the valve you can send the hose down to front sprocket, where you place another 90 degree brass fitting to point it towards chain. mount valve vertical so flow is up to go through valve. i placed 3/4 stainless tee before valve just to hold some stainless wool to help condense oil, using a tee gives bit more internal space. zip ties hold things in place, crankcase is in a vacuum when in operation.  i run my oil at full mark with zero problems. only get six poofteenths of bugger all oil out end of hose, and thats after riding couple of hundred kilometers. hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:11:34 pm by zentrax »
Nothing is inexplicable.........only the unexplained......

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 01:44:29 pm
Here's how I fixed mine or it fixed it's self. ::)
First, I just broke 4000 miles and the oil blow by?? consumption?? is just about gone, I check it now 1-2 times a week, instead of every morning before I fired it up to go to work.
I keep the "earl" at 1/2 stick. About 2 quarts and 100 cc with a filter change.
I had the oil catch tube drain first run UP and over the frame behind tank under my solo seat and out the bottom, but I noticed the engine has a lot of "milky white sheet" in on the stick  topwhen it was cold. :o
So I now run the tube down and over under the side car mount bar, if it was a solo bike, I run the tube out the back behind the muffler, go to a ATV store and get a small filter to keep dirt from working it's way back in. This way the blow by is spraying behind you and on the guy behind you! :D
I get a tiny spot on the floor of "earl" if I "push the engine a lot, (you know, keep the cable tight all the way to work, cuz the motor sounds cool would up) :D
It took ALOT of miles to break this motor in, way more than the 1500 I thought to stop the blow by. I almost thought I had a bad set of rings or oil pumps, (I knew a guy with a '01??? one ride it started to PUKE oil really bad, turned out the oil pump(s) was bad, (that's when it had the smaller volume ones and you had to drop in the high volume ones).
I just look at the oil spots like it IS a '60-70's British bike, wipe it up it up and live with it! :D
Joe
As we get older, we all start to leak fluids!! ;D

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 04:15:15 pm

Joe
As we get older, we all start to leak fluids!! ;D
Your morbid, but accurate.  ;)