Author Topic: UCE Recall  (Read 2279 times)

Corbin

• Dare To Be You!
  • Scooter
on: June 14, 2009, 05:29:04 pm
Hello,

I started this thread in the wrong section. Suffice it to say, this is all I could find on the matter:

It has just been brought to my attention that there has been a recall on all UCE bikes.  I found this on the web:

We at Watsonian-Squire Ltd, the UK distributors for Royal Enfield are also instigating a recall and have issued the following statement.
Recall on EFI gearbox. A possible fault exists in the gearboxes on all the EFI machines with VIN numbers below those ending in 001116. Machines within this range should not be ridden. A batch of components has been identified as the cause and the necessary plans are being made now to change these in all the affected machines.
VOSA (the UK Govt agency) are involved and as soon as the paperwork is completed the recall reference number will be published. We appreciate that this problem will be both disappointing and inconvenient for owners, be assured that we are working hard and with all possible speed to resolve this issue.

Suffice it to say I have over 2400 miles on my bike now and haven't noticed anything major, bar once when the bike suddenly lost power last week and there was some severe drag for a moment, but it hasn't acted up since.  So, what I want to know is the above real or simly a hoax?  The website was Nabble, perhaps you have heard of it? 

Fortunately, I have received several responses including from Kevin that the matter will be addressed by RE.  I unfortunately have one of the C5's that match the above VIN number checks due to the fact that these bikes hit European Shores before North America.  Nevertheless, I would not discourage anybody from buying one of these bikes.  Very few companies would go through so much trouble to take care of its overseas customers.  Furthermore, mdespite the seriousness of this recall, my bike really has performed wonderfully.  There has been one or two issues that may be linked to the problem associated with the recall, but in saying so, at least the company is looking to rectify the situation asap.

Only bummer is the bike is officially grounded.  I'm going to have to have the dealer collect my bike as it seems riding it is completely out of the question.  sigh...
Ride: 2009 Black Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI
Name: Betty-Ann

Corbin

• Dare To Be You!
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:36:38 pm
Hello Again,

Just read Kevin's notice and looked back at one or two of the other discussions I started here on this site.  I realize now that the scheeching sound that occassionally occurs may just in fact be what the recall is all about.  Furthermore, I changed my oil and oil filter today and cleared out the oil sump.  There were flakes of metal in the oil sump and in and around the screw that is used to drain the oil from the bike.

Totally blows...  but at the end of the day, I still love this bike and I highly recommend buying one to anybody who has ever wanted to try one!  Well done to RE and Kevin especially for being so proactive again.  Probably svaed my bacon, literally.
Ride: 2009 Black Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI
Name: Betty-Ann