Author Topic: I go on holiday and this?  (Read 2706 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
on: June 13, 2009, 10:19:53 pm
So what’s going on? Two weeks away in Tuscany and I find on my return that my luggage is still on holiday courtesy of Air France, I can’t ride my C5 and James’ bike has a missing gearbox component! I got a call from my dealer letting me know what’s going on and have since spoken to Watsonian so I’m clued up so to speak (try doing that with Suzuki et al), I’ve also checked my bike’s VIN and it will be recalled.

Disappointing to say the least but I agree with the sentiments expressed on this forum that the importers have done he right thing. I feel sad for RE more than anything, it’s the last thing they needed particularly when the reliability of the 5 speed gearbox has been proven in the AVL models. I wouldn’t like to be the machinist who messed this one up.

So I’m resigned to not riding until Watsonian sort out the logistics of completely stripping a large number of UCE engines and them putting them back together…….I still might sneak out for a sub 50 run though.

Apparently it’s a seizure issue and not a wear issue so oil contamination of other major components shouldn’t be a problem. I’m not totally convinced given the swarf that’s come out of my engine, in my experience excessive heat leads to premature wear and then seizure but as engines will be dismantled to their constituent parts any contamination will be obvious so I’ll leave it to the experts.

The Watsonian Factory Open Weekend still seems to be happening on 20/21 June, so it should I say. The test rides are in small groups lead by a Police motorcyclist so he could keep the speeds down to sub 50. I hope they don’t cancel it.

It’s at times like this that you regret only having one wardrobe of decent clothes.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:07:28 am
Welcome back Rusty!

Sorry there wasn't better news for your return.

Plymouth Mega Ride tomorrow, was really looking forward to taking part on the C5 *violins*

J
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:15:51 pm
What makes this a particular bummer is that the UCE motor shares its oil with all the systems. So swarf from a problem gearbox has a chance to raise hell with the rest of the engine. Hopefully the filter will catch it . Gearbox swarf is unforgiving in that it's all very hard, tough steel.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:57:13 am
I learned a new word today.  Swarf. 
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:23:07 pm
What makes this a particular bummer is that the UCE motor shares its oil with all the systems. So swarf from a problem gearbox has a chance to raise hell with the rest of the engine. Hopefully the filter will catch it . Gearbox swarf is unforgiving in that it's all very hard, tough steel.

None to worry about that crap getting into the engine. It was MY big concern that all those fines would find their way onto the magnetic pickup for the EFI and the ignition and muck up the works - this is not the case. The good engineers not only put a pretty finely woven trash screen in the bottom of the little mill - they put a pretty strong magnet on the drain plug AND inside the trash screen to get what little bits make it through the screen! I've yet to see any fines on the magnetic pickups - even on the engine that has had the "hell-and-be-damned" run out of it. The gREat fellows in India did their homework on this -  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!