Author Topic: Cafe Racer Project from India  (Read 3615 times)

tpelle

• Scooter
on: June 12, 2009, 03:45:14 am
I ran across this when I googled up some cafe racer pics.  A guy in India, I believe, who homebrewed a cafe racer from a Bullet Classic.  A couple of the features that I like are that he retained the stock tank (cheap), and he also used Diamond Engine Bars (practical).  I really like what he's done.

I got the impression that a lot of things were fabricated, such as the handlebars, because they were not available in his home market.  I guess we don't realize how easy we have it over here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collection-best-threads/35971-my-enfield-cafe-racer-project-complete-i-m-back.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/20920-pictorial-progress-v12-s-cafe-racer-project-updated-pics.html
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

petefletcher

• Bulleteer
  • One Life - Live It
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:29:40 am
A Cafe racer with crashbars?  and toolboxes??
I don't think so.
2008 350 Classic Bullet
1961 Triumph Cub Trials

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:54:06 am
A Cafe racer with crashbars?  and toolboxes??
I don't think so.

Yes, I get your point.  However I still think the style and workmanship is really good.

From what I've gathered, there was a lot of variation in what would have been considered a 'cafe racer' back in the day.  They weren't all TT road racing replicas.  Actually I think this would be more of a 'clubman' style bike, rather than a 'cafe racer'.

I guess the modern 'streetfighter' bike is probably the closest thing we have going today.

Still, the crashbars are practical (How many modern sportbike riders screw up their fairings if their bike just falls over on the kickstand, much less crashes?) and seem to fit in to the style of the bike.

I wonder if the right-side rearset interferes with the kick start pedal though?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:15:21 pm by tpelle »
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:09:37 pm
I like that machine. The stock seat profile is something I don't like much on my Enfield but the standard tank is a thing of beauty and as the project shows, it doesn't take a lot of changes to finish up with a very handsome machine.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:28:05 pm
 It's a very interesting thread to read. I like how he cut the muffler and welded it back up to make it upswept. Over here though, the re-chroming costs would likely make that impracticle.

Nice looking bike.
2000 Dlx

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:47:56 pm
I want that seat.
Run what ya brung

ranger800

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:42 pm
It's a cool bike, but I don't think the rider position is café.
Eh, or maybe the guy riding it is way too big.

It needs clip-ons. :)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:11:36 pm
I have a similar set-up.  I can't take the clip-ons anymore, so I have superbike bars. 
Run what ya brung, is my philosophy.

does anyone know about that seat?  My screen is dark- did he make that seat?  Is the seat cowl cheome, or what?
Run what ya brung

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:25:58 pm
UncleErnie, I breezed through the thread pretty quickly - mainly looking for pictures - but I kind of gather he had that seat made.

Heck, in India labor is so cheap it's probably less expensive to have someone make something than order it in from overseas.

(The company that I used to work for - probably 25 years ago, now - did some work in a brand-new factory for the Indian Railway Co.  They excavated for the new plant using a bunch of folks with shovels, and made the gravel for the concrete by making little rocks out of big rocks with hammers!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:26:12 pm by tpelle »

stonelessrock

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:17:09 pm
Well ...i agree that labour is cheap in INDIA ..but a cafe racer tank in india cost arund 120$ n dats cheap enuf ....even m working on my cafe racer ....n m from india ...its more abt not gettng d parts here n get it fabricatd ...n more ovr if m not mistaken most of d parts are made in INDIA n thn exportd ...d place from whr i get my CAFE tank ...thy manufacture it n export it ....

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:40:41 pm
Well ...i agree that labour is cheap in INDIA ..but a cafe racer tank in india cost arund 120$ n dats cheap enuf ....even m working on my cafe racer ....n m from india ...its more abt not gettng d parts here n get it fabricatd ...n more ovr if m not mistaken most of d parts are made in INDIA n thn exportd ...d place from whr i get my CAFE tank ...thy manufacture it n export it ....

Are vowels expensive? ;) Just kiddin, man, welcome to the forum.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:43:17 pm
stonelessrock,

I like the shape of that tank.  You say they export them?  I wonder if you can find any info (manufacturer name, distributor, whatever) in case anyone on this side of the planet would be interested in using one?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 04:14:18 pm
Cool tank.  Hard to tell from a picture, but I think it's steel?

I looked up more about that seat, but he really doesn't go into any detail.  He made the seat cowl, but doesn't say how or what it's made from.  I have the Contentental seat, but I'm thinking a more flat configuration might be more comfortable.

I'm really irritaated I saw all this...  :P :-* ??? ::) ;)
Run what ya brung

geoffbaker

Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 05:09:58 pm
Are vowels expensive? ;) Just kiddin, man, welcome to the forum.

-Rick

Now that made me laugh :)

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 06:36:37 pm
 I'd love to have one of those tanks at twice the cost in India.
2000 Dlx

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 05:09:40 pm
Anybody here remember Bankerdanny's cafe racer project? His looked pretty sharp with a set of clubmans!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:24:58 pm by cowboysculptor »
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 09:44:36 pm
Yup! I remember and I think there's still some pictures of it in either members rides  or modifications.