Author Topic: Another Question Re: Kick-Starting G5  (Read 8422 times)

tpelle

• Scooter
on: June 11, 2009, 10:19:31 pm
I've been digging around on the 'net, which prompts another question:

To kick-start a non-UCE bike you use the kicker to bring the piston up to the compression stroke, use the compression release to go past TDC while watching the ammeter to go to zero, bring the kicker up to the top, switch on, then thrust the engine through.

I notice that the G5 no longer has an ammeter, but instead has a combination instrument with warning lights.

I also have read that there is an automatic compression release on the UCE's that is engaged whenever the engine is turning >600 RPM.  I gather this is to aid in the new electric start - preventing the kick-backs that fragged the sprags on the old motors.

Does this automatic compression release also come into play when using the kick starter, or does it only work when the ES is engaged?

If the auto compression release works all the during either type of starting, how do you "feel" the piston at TDC during kick starting?

I searched, but can't find any kick-starting instructions regarding the UCE's yet.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:53:44 pm
Iron Barrel Kick Starting Instructions:

Turn fuel on
Set Choke
Release Compression
Dry kick, switch off
Throw salt over shoulder
Bite lower lip
Pray
Switch "ON"
Set piston with ammeter
Kick
Kick
Kick
Repeat until starts or you are tired.

Starting procedure for UCE
Turn key "ON"
Wait for MIL
Kick
Ride away

It's THAT simple! The fuel injection and the electronic ignition in combination with the auto-compressor makes it idiot proof .... liek kick starting a Honda! Just swat it and put your gloves on - you are ready to ride!!   ;D ;D BTW - If your iron barrel won't at least "puff" in three kicks, there is something wrong with it .... I don't EVEN want to get THAT can of worms opened up ... Hahahaha!!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:13:32 pm
Kinda takes the charm out of it!
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:53:23 am
still makes you look like a badass. not being able to kick your engine to life is kind of a stinker if you're trying to look tough in front of the Harley guys with their pansy kick-less bikes ;)

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:21:24 am
Yep - I've kick-started our G5 several times effortlessly.

I have half a mind that with a little more break-in on the engine, I could do it with my arm.

Now that would unman the poor Harley folks.

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 03:57:24 am
I have an AVL (Electra) and my ammeter does not deflect when I hit TDC.  I do it by feel, there
is no movement in the ammeter.

I've been digging around on the 'net, which prompts another question:

To kick-start a non-UCE bike you use the kicker to bring the piston up to the compression stroke, use the compression release to go past TDC while watching the ammeter to go to zero, bring the kicker up to the top, switch on, then thrust the engine through.

I notice that the G5 no longer has an ammeter, but instead has a combination instrument with warning lights.

I also have read that there is an automatic compression release on the UCE's that is engaged whenever the engine is turning >600 RPM.  I gather this is to aid in the new electric start - preventing the kick-backs that fragged the sprags on the old motors.

Does this automatic compression release also come into play when using the kick starter, or does it only work when the ES is engaged?

If the auto compression release works all the during either type of starting, how do you "feel" the piston at TDC during kick starting?

I searched, but can't find any kick-starting instructions regarding the UCE's yet.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:07:18 am
the ammeter on the AVL will not deflect. The deflection in an irn barrell is current flowing through the closed ignition points. When the needle then flicks to the center you know the piston is more or less near Top dead Center and you are in the correct position to start to kick. In the AVl you feel your way. You can also feel your way in the UCE, but there really is not need. The auto-decompressor is mechanical and operates whether you use the KS or the ES
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:28:30 am
The number of kicks required to start any motorcycle of British descent is proportional to the square of the number of the people present.

ie:
if you are by yourself
1x1 = 1 kick
if your buddy is with you
2x2 = 4 kicks
if you are outside a bar and 20 people are watching
20x20 = call your buddy to bring his pick-up or 911 for an ambulance
 ;D
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:09:09 am
Thats a good un, ;D SRL790, I had a really good laugh at that.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 01:39:41 pm
The number of kicks required to start any motorcycle of British descent is proportional to the square of the number of the people present.

ie:
if you are by yourself
1x1 = 1 kick
if your buddy is with you
2x2 = 4 kicks
if you are outside a bar and 20 people are watching
20x20 = call your buddy to bring his pick-up or 911 for an ambulance
 ;D

Haw haw haw!! I about fell outta my freekin' chair laffing!! This is SURELY a mathematical constant .... Could we name it the Anglo Cycle Anomaly? TOO funnie - and OH so true!! Heeheehee!!  ;D

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:30:12 pm
There is another relationship governing Brit bike engine behaviour:

The probability of the motor dying at traffic lights when they turn green  is proportional to the tonnage of traffic held up behind you.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:11:56 am
The Anglo Kickstart Theorem is undoubtedly true. I have occasionally beaten the odds, but the exceptions just prove the rule.

The one time I did it really well was at my MSF course. The instructor, who asked to ride my iron classic, couldn't get it to fire up (hee hee), so I hopped on, did the ammeter/TDC thing, brought the lever back up, kicked it through and, miracle of miracles, it fired right away. I was positive that the thing would have been flooded and/or cranky and really give me a tough way to go, but it fired up like a champ.

I agree that the easier kickstarting of the UCE may well be less "charming", but sometimes I just want the thing to fire up, not be quaint with me. I probably need to check my jetting and/or idle, because my iron classic can be difficult at times.

Mike

Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 02:24:41 am
Mike - Your  Iron Barrel is just an Iron Barrel ..... They all will pitch a hissy fit on you from time to time - no matter what. If I follow the "procedure" to a "T" on my little bike - WHAM! - one kick every time. If I miss one stinkin' item - I'll kick 'til I'm blue in the face. That's absolutely the charm of these bikes - no ham-fisted idiot is ever gonna be happy with one if he jumps in the saddle, sets the choke, turns the key on, hits the starter button and kicks it all in one fell swoop ..... The UCE bike, however WILL do that .... and sometimes, you need to do that to get the show on the road. I try to avoid that as much as possible - but if I go ride with a bunch of no-kickin' Japper-Knees riders, I gotta be at the bike five minutes early to dance with the maiden to get her to play nice! hahahaha!!  ;D

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 09:59:15 pm
Gonna add my .02 on this one.  Just this morning my dad and I were going to start his old Suzuki GN400.  It has a manual decompression lever on the handlebar. It also has a dead battery.  Kicked til I was blue in the face.  Kicking one over may add to the retro fun but dealing with a finicky, cold-natured, and soon, flooded, bike was and is and always will be a pain. Unless I knew I had the procedure down pat, I would normally start the bike first thing in the morning with the electric starter and leave showing off with the kick starter for later in the day when the bike has had a chance to warm up.
I never had an ammeter to go by.  I always rolled the kicker around until it felt right and then jumped on it.  It can be a bit like starting a fire with flint & steel.  Sometimes it works great and sometimes all heaven and earth conspire against you.

plane95302

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:21:19 pm
Had an Suzuki GN 400 x myself. My first new bike. Put over 10000 trouble free miles on it. Good times. :)