Author Topic: Accessories For G5?  (Read 2091 times)

tpelle

• Scooter
on: June 18, 2009, 11:26:36 pm
I'm still trying to get my head around this new G5 model.

If one wanted to "caffeinate" a G5 in a mild sort of way, I'm pretty confident that the handlebars could be swapped out pretty easily.  I gather that the original stock tank would have to be retained, as I gather that the fuel pump for the EFI is inside.  The original long, flat, 2-up seat is OK, as that is consistent with what was often retained "back in the day".  (I've been closely examining Mike Seate's book on cafe racers.)

My question is:  What about rear sets?  Will CMW's rear sets for, say, the Electra work?

If no ready-made solutions are available, I'm thinking that you could move the pegs back and swap the shift lever around backwards - would give you a "GP" shift pattern of 1-up and 4-down - Cool!.  What about the rear brake pedal?  (Is the rear brake hydraulic or mechanically actuated?)  Also I see a conflict with the kick-start (Gotta have a kick-start, after all, to put those new Triumph Thruxton owners to shame!).  Is there a kick-start lever available that would clear the rear set pegs?
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:22:32 am
You're right about the tank, but anything involving the frame, such as rear sets, would be compatible with the Electra equivalent.  It's the same frame, after all, so you could switch out the seat, too if you like.  And I'm confident that if there's enough demand, you'll be able to get your hands on the tank--it's already available in Britain in the Clubman kit, after all.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.