Author Topic: Shifter  (Read 6827 times)

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
on: June 09, 2009, 07:45:28 am
Has anyone changed the shifter length? I've noticed on other RE's that the shifter is all in the same place, so not sure if this is something that can be changed.  I'm finding that it hits my foot in the wrong place. I have to use my whole left foot to shift as I don't have the ability to just move my big toe on that foot. So was thinking of going longer so that the knob hits right at the steel of my boots. If that does not work then may have to go with a right foot shift, and not sure I'm comfortable with that. With the sidecar in the way and all.

Gromit
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:00:03 am
I  think you could fit a "heel and toe" shifter if that would help.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 04:11:55 am
I  think you could fit a "heel and toe" shifter if that would help.

I can't use a heel/toe shift as my foot does not move that way to make the heel work.

2006 RE Electra-sold

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:30 am
Maybe you could move the peg? 

I have the RH shift kit.. Love it, even for the price I would suggest it.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:43:20 am
[quote I have the RH shift kit.. Love it, even for the price I would suggest it.
[/quote]

Does anyone have a right hand shift w/a sidecar? is that even possible?

2006 RE Electra-sold

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:50:11 pm
Try adjusting the left  foot peg. 
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:41:50 pm
  Could you go wider?  Welding on an extensioncould possibly allow you to use your heel to go through the gears.  Since you have a side car how about a hand shifter?  You could incorporate the clutch with the shifter.  All the chopper builders have done that.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 03:47:23 pm
Have you tried different boots?  (I used to have a shifting problem on a bike... tried a different pair of boots... no more problems... case closed.)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:57:18 pm
At one point, I made a paddle for my rig;
I cut a piece of wood in a sort of wedge shape and and took the rubber off the foot peg. A "U" bracket under the smaller end attached the wood paddle to the peg so it would be hinged.  On top, towards the front, was a noose.  I put my cast through the noose and when I jekrd my whole foot up, I shifted up.   When I pressed down on the paddle, I shifted down.
Teak wood with red "Royal Enfield" marquetry would be a nice touch?

Hey- it worked while I had a cast (9 months).
Run what ya brung

greenie

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:41 pm
ever considered 'suicide' shifter? don't know what all it would entail on a bullet, but i think it would be pretty cool as well as unique 8)
95 ural tourist w/ 98 motor (650)
06 electra

plane95302

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 06:26:04 pm
I have really wide feet so the only cycle boots I could find in wide had huge box toes and a tall heel. They worked fine on my Kaw vulcan cruiser since it has a heel shifter. On my RE they were a pain in the a$$. Got some Justin roper work boots with rubber soles and smaller heel and toe. Mucho Bettero.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 06:29:45 pm
     Guys... Too complicated. Most of the shifting issues can be rectified with positioning the shift pedal, and slightly modifying your technique. A heel and toe shifter can be done relatively easily, but first move the shift pedal up or down one notch (usually up). When you shift  up use your  whole foot, not just the toe. To down shift lift your foot off the peg and push down with your whole foot. To  shift  up hook the pedal with your toe and lift your foot. You'll adapt to this is a short period of time.
     Also, use good boots. Tennis shoes hinder the shifting process. Wear comfortable, but firm leather boots.

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 11:08:43 pm
    Guys... Too complicated. Most of the shifting issues can be rectified with positioning the shift pedal, and slightly modifying your technique. A heel and toe shifter can be done relatively easily, but first move the shift pedal up or down one notch (usually up). When you shift  up use your  whole foot, not just the toe. To down shift lift your foot off the peg and push down with your whole foot. To  shift  up hook the pedal with your toe and lift your foot. You'll adapt to this is a short period of time.
     Also, use good boots. Tennis shoes hinder the shifting process. Wear comfortable, but firm leather boots.

I use leather bike boots w/steel toes. And I have to use my whole foot to shift as my toes on my left foot do move up/down. What I'm having trouble with is where the shift level hits on my foot. It is right at where the toes bend (the normal location for shifting) but for me, it is causing a lot of pain to have that extra motion, and wondered if it is possible to have the shift lever pushed farther forward so that it hits where the toe box is and that way my toes themselves do not touch the shift directly.
Gromit

2006 RE Electra-sold

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 11:22:35 pm
I don't see why you couldn't take it to a welder and have it bent, extended, or whatever, any way you want it.  Maybe cut the idez out of plywood or cardboard so he'll get the angle or length right.
Run what ya brung

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 12:09:09 am
     Ah, now I see. It would be easy to extend the shifter. As UncleErnie said, any welder can do it. The extra length will position it over the steel toe better, but the extra length would also require more foot movement due to the longer throw. I think you would be a good candidate for a heel/toe shifter. This is also something that would be easy to weld up. next time you are down I would be happy to go over a simple design you can have a welder make up. If you give me a few day's warning I can have my tech bring in his welder. We can probably do it here.