Author Topic: Power Arc install help  (Read 3165 times)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 12:37:01 am
  You carefully pare back the first two layers about 3/4" or so, try not to fray the cable at the core, then you fold the inner wire over the cable.  You place the copper piece ovet that, insure that the solid part of the copper piece covers the wire and crimp in place.  Oh make sure you put the boot over the wire first.  You don't want to use the original wire since it was meant for point ignition and more than likely is pure copper cored.  This supplied wire is probably an aramid fiber/silicon cored, carries electric impulse differently.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:16 am
How do I crimp the end of resistor core wire that came with the kit? I know it does not have a traditional wire inside. What part do I expose and crimp into the smaller lower half if anything or do I just cut it flush like in the picture? Can someone also explain how this wire is constructed and works? I'd love to get a full understanding.

Did anyone use the original NGK wire and boot?

Gary at Power Arc told me that you can use the NGK wire and boot. I used needle nose to bend the tabs in a bit, then put it over the wire and crimped it where they cut into the shielding. Works great.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 12:45:16 pm
  Well that will make things easier.  Just wonder why the wire isn't copper core like most point ignition bikes, since it runs a resistor plug.  Think I'll see if I have an old wire around here..see if I get better power to the plug.  Something to check into.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 04:08:41 pm
you've probably moved on but it not, try a local auto parts. they have tools to loan and maybe the crimping tool you need. the tool is pricey so hopefully you know someone who will loan. the best electrical contact is just that, especially at a coil that fires so often.
How do I crimp the end of resistor core wire that came with the kit? I know it does not have a traditional wire inside. What part do I expose and crimp into the smaller lower half if anything or do I just cut it flush like in the picture? Can someone also explain how this wire is constructed and works? I'd love to get a full understanding.

Did anyone use the original NGK wire and boot?

'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic