Author Topic: Right shift conversion, 5 speed Classic.  (Read 4101 times)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
on: October 11, 2007, 10:04:42 pm
i know you can get a right hand (foot?) shift kit for the 4 speed, which gives much better back brake performance, eliminating the cross over gubbins.  Basically restoring the set up the way it was originally designed.  I used to own an Ariel Arrow, an OLD 250cc British 2 stroke twin, with right foot shift, naturally.  I had no problem shifting with the right, braking with the left.  It soon becomes second nature.  What I'm wanting to know is can you convert the 5 speed similarly.  In otherwords, was the 5 speed designed as a lefty from the get go, or is it built as a righty, converted to a lefty, if you see what I mean?  Like I say, I'm happy shifting either side, but would like to improve back brake performance.  So, can I make a 5 speed a right hand shift, how does it perform that way, or does the 5 speed have the brake rod ruuning to the right hand side of the hub, ie. direct with no crossover?  Sorry if I made this compilcated and unintelligeable, but anyone more mechanically inclined than me ( probaly most on here ::)) will know what I'm on about.

deejay

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:55:29 am
yes you can convert it, it was designed to be left or right. I'm not sure it would help much with the rear brake at all. that crossover is far less botched than the linkage on the 4-speeds shifter. I was considering this mod at one time, but decided the effort (minimal) and money wasn't worth it.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:56:57 am
 5 SPEED RIGHT SHIFT CONVERSION
This kit converts the standard 5 speed left foot gear change to the traditional Bullet right foot change and at the same time giving the 1 up 4 down pattern (we can also suppy 1 down 4 up which does not require the cam plate). It includes all the necessary parts including a new machined outer cover, cam plate, gear change shaft, brake pedal, bungs etc. Please note that the neutral warning light will be lost in this conversion.

PART No. DESCRIPTION PRICE  
90140 5 SPEED CONVERSION, LEFT TO RIGHT CHANGE WITH BRAKE, 1 UP 4 DOWN CHANGE £175.00              

This from Hitcocks UK website!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 12:14:00 am
Thanks for the replies .  It would seem to be a worthwhile conversion to me.  It sounds as though the conversion would give you a simpler shift mechanism and maybe a slightly more positive rear brake.  Sounds like a win-win situation to me.