Author Topic: No more spitting out oil!  (Read 2947 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 14, 2007, 07:29:54 pm
Following advice received here, I think I may have shaken off  the "Spitting Out Oil" Demon which had attached itself to my 350. 

I started to keep the oil level at the lower end of the scale, as suggested here.  I use an energy drink bottle with a nozzle to make it easier to put in just small amounts of oil, as suggested here.  I removed the breather from the crankcase to the catch-can and fitted it the other way round so there is no sump in the middle run of the pipe, as suggested here.

Result - today I went to Derbyshire - a ride which involves uninterrupted runs at 50 mph or so for 35-40 minutes at a time.  This should be well within the capability of the bike but I've never made this run without finding that a blocked breather-pipe has forced oil out into the right-hand toolbox, soaking the air-filter and dripping oil onto the exhaust pipe and all over the back of the bike.  Today we did it! 

Thanks to this Forum for such friendly good advice.

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:49:58 pm
That is a great feeling, when things you do yourself, with advice from other friends, fixes the problem..  I have learned a lot here, that will definitely make my riding better.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA