Author Topic: My New G5 UCE has been recalled  (Read 11762 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 02:17:29 pm
Since we are making a list I want to request a leggy blond aspiring actress should be requirement at all RE dealerships.. Preferably dressed in something like Hooters attire..  That guy with grease on his shirt from working on bikes in the back just is not cutting it...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 02:48:11 pm
Cappuccino is the drink of the new millennium.
You go to the dealer and sip cappuccino and compare dyno charts.
That's why there are so many HD's out there that are 10 yrs old and have 1,600 miles on em!
CJ

Oh! ......... SNAP!! Heeheehee!!!  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 04:35:28 pm
It's not hard, I doubt any of us expect a red carpet or anything, but just having someone friendly to talk to, especially in regards to warranty / recalls etc. Provide loaners through the dealers etc.

I don't know, it seems to me that expecting loaner bikes from an operation as small as RE IS expecting a red carpet.  Sorry to hear of your situation, and I'm sure it's frustrating, but it could happen with any manufacturer and I think most would not be so interested in fixing it.  Sounds like maybe they could have communicated better with you, but I think patience will pay off.  Just my opinion...

Eamon
Eamon

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:39:38 pm
While I do understand the logistics of providing a loaner makes it almost impossible, at the very least the warranty should be extended by the amount of time it spends in the shop.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 05:53:51 pm
Who needs smoke screens (coffee, popcorn, dealer doublespeak) anyway! Good dealer service trumps all the BS. What do you think your getting into if the dealer toots his horn by telling you he has a whole fleet of loaner bikes ready for your use at a moments notice. These are brand new models for RE and they should have had all the bugs worked out before they hit the showroom but obviously didn't. I have said it before that these new owners are the so called explorer's in this unexplored territory. Maybe extending the warranty for the amount of time they give their bike up for recall service would be a fair and nice gesture on RE's part.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:37 pm
From my experience, albeit with cars not bikes, I've always been provided a loaner for this sort of thing.

Also Saturn is well regarded as providing excellent customer care, and their autos are pretty affordable, it doesn't take a BMW to get some service.

I got a loaner RE because WS was taking my bike halfway across the country when it failed. I am fairly sure this happened because they had to make sure it wasn't a failure that was common throughout all the UCE's and would cost them a crap load if that's the case and went on unresolved. So, instead of having my bike fixed locally it gets shipped off and that adds alot of time on my end in getting it back. I think it's only fair I got some wheels in return.

Both Torre and GV have loaners for their customers, they happened to both be out, they may not be RE's, but at least it keeps people from missing work etc.

Where my big issues have been have been with poor communication. My brand new bike, barely ridden, was whisked off after a major failure, it is not asking much to be kept appraised of what exactly is going on.

If I had been going 70mph and the wheels suddenly locked and gears seized instead of going slowly in a parking lot, I think RE would have had much bigger problems to deal with.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 04:11:08 am
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 06:23:35 am
SCREECHING METAL TO METAL GRINDING NOISES FROM ENGINE:

I have been mostly riding my bike between 25 to 50 mph in the small town roads as mentioned in my earlier threads elsewhere.  It was running smoothly at those speeds.  But on two occasions, when I ran it a little faster between 50 to 60 mph for very brief periods, I heard metal-to-metal grinding and screeching sounds from the left side of the engine.  The first time it happened it seemed like the clutch was also jammed and I was greatly relieved when the bike slowed down and the sound stopped.  I got home ok but was shaken.  I did not know the source of the sound at that time.  Thereafter, I drove it at my usual less than 50 mph speeds and I did not hear that sound and engine ran soomthly.  The second time I was nearing 60 mph, the screeching sound again started and I immediately slowed down and the motorcycle ran fine at low speeds.  I did not know the source of this sound, except that I thought it was piston rubbing against the walls.  While I was pondering about what is going on with the bike this recall happened. 

In retrospect, it could be the transmission as details of this phenomenon are coming out slowly from the RE.  What if other gears / parts of my transmission are  damaged,  beside the lesser clearance mentioned in the recall, because the parts have twice been rubbed against each other during riding? 

I had mentioned about this sound to Mr. Mahoney during my conversation with him on Friday, June 5th.  He had also told me that RE is making bushing to improve the clearance.  Now I am wondering if that would only cure the clearance but still leave any other damage to transmission unattended.  Even with new bushing in place, how are the dealers going to test and verify that each motorcycle can run safely at above 60 mph unless they have dyno and run the "fixed" bikes repeatedly at > 60 mph when the engine is hot.  (Remember this problem surfaces when engines are hot).

I am just thankful to the higher powers that my bike did not jam on the road and I had narrow escape but the lady luck may not be always there to protect. 

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 08:26:01 am
I think (and surely hope) that the warranty will be extended.  I know you guys already have a two year warranty, but when something like Xbox Live or WoW (I don't play, but hear about it) is down for days, even if scattered, they add up the downtime and put it onto the end of the paid subscription period.  And that's for a comparitively cheap thing like a subscription.  A bike costs a lot more money and a lot more emotional/trusting investment.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 04:25:11 pm
Singhg5 - In an answer to your question about the affected parts of your motorcycle - Royal Enfield will take care of you on it - PERIOD. The nature of the suspected failure is such that only one gear and the shaft upon which it rides is affected. All of these parts are being sent by the factory for repair. The dealers also will thoroughly test your bike before you get it back - after all - it's THEIR reputation as well for that sort of stuff.

You must realise that OTHER manufacturers have recalls as well - it is just a shock to US, as RE owners to hear that we have been affected by this. Until now, a recall of this type hasn't even been an issue for RE. I have had three MAJOR safety recalls on my V92C Victory, which is a MUCH more expensive bike. No big deal - take it to the dealer, get it fixed and go and RIDE! My Victory dealer updated the gearbox in my bike (required total engine disassembly ....) in a week and cost me not one red cent. The bike has been absolutely the same (only with peace of mind that the third gear on the mainshaft will not disintegrate and come out the bottom of the case ...!) since I got it back - no surprises. You'll get the same from your RE dealer.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 05:55:16 pm
      Just to point out the obvious: these bikes are sold with a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.Too often I have customers come unglued because I have to do a warranty repair. If anything was perfect would it need a warranty?  I don't really see the problem here.
     I deal with a lot of companies. Royal Enfield has the BEST administered warranty program of them all. They are taking care of the problem  faster than I have ever seen a company move. There is full disclosure. Certainly no one wants their bike to have down time in the service department, but the warranty issue is being addressed in a more than timely manner. Could there be other problems? Sure, but you still have the warranty. I have been with Enfield for 10 years now. This is certainly a pain in the... But it truly is nothing to worry about.
     Everyone should be relieved at the professional and timely way it is being handled. Everyone can ride with confidence in the bike and the company.  I am in the process of adjusting to these economic times. I am paring the lines that cause me problems. Royal Enfield is not only staying, it is my flagship line. Their handling of this issue reinforces my choice.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 09:08:14 pm
Amen!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla