Author Topic: My New G5 UCE has been recalled  (Read 11766 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 08, 2009, 04:17:34 pm
Recently Mr. Kevin Mahoney called to inform me that my UCE G5 Efi has been recalled  :( .  The clearance in transmission is less than it should be and it can cause  problems at high speeds.  He said that RE is making parts that will take 2 weeks or so, then it will be shipped, and then my bike will be fixed.  I asked him to supply me another bike while mine gets fixed - he said he will try but cannot promise.

It was nice of him to call me personally but not being able to ride for the next 4 weeks or so is pretty upsetting.  I understand that recalls happen in small or big companies of all kinds of industries and this is one of them.  What happens WHILE the necessary changes are made is crucial for the buyer.  Those who spent money and bought the product did so because we like it and want it to succeed - so why not get it right and get things fixed now before it is too late and save a lot of headache later.   

I sincerely hope that Mr. Mahoney's 'cannot promise' turns into a 'yes, I will get you one' that will definitely put a positive spin on my experience.  Just as JamesC5 of UK got a bike to ride while his new C5 was getting fixed, why not provide a bike to US customers when ours are getting repaired ?  This recall can be turned into a positive experience for buyers if properly backed by the dealers and CMW. 

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 04:48:49 pm
Hi Singhg5,
That's a bummer.
As you pointed out, it IS better to get it taken care of before it could have become an issue to you while riding.

I'm sure that CMW will do what they can for you. Remember, unlike the UK, the US is a pretty big place, and it can be difficult to transport things long distances here. If a nearby dealer provides a loaner bike, that has to be worked out with the dealer first.
So,  there might be something in the works that takes a little time to get organized, if they can swing it.
Hopefully, the issue will be solved quickly enough so that it wouldn't even be necessary.

Anyway, good luck with it, and we hope you get your G5 real soon.
I'm sure that Kevin and CMW really appreciate your support of the RE brand, and the new models.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:02:34 pm
I haven't owned any new big name bikes in recent years.  Does anyone know their policy regarding situations such as this?  I except a loner if my new car goes in for long term warranty work but guess it would never enter my mind with a bike.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:37:25 pm
Hey man

REALLY bummed to see this, I hope you get some better luck and service than I have. Usually the dealer you bought from will provide a loaner. I bought my bike from GV in Taunton but broke down in Torquay which is a bit of distance away. Seeing as Witsonian Squire, the UK distributer, was coming down to get mine I asked (several times) for a loaner and got an old Electra.

Course that took almost two weeks, where I had nothing, cost me some work and alot of nice riding weather having no wheels.

So now I'm wondering what exactly is this recall? I'd imagine all UCE engines would be affected, they're the same engine aren't they? Maybe that's why my calls are being ignored at WS, my bike is probably not going anywhere for a long time.

2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:06:16 pm
I haven't owned any new big name bikes in recent years.  Does anyone know their policy regarding situations such as this?  I except a loner if my new car goes in for long term warranty work but guess it would never enter my mind with a bike.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

My $20K ElectraGlide spent 9 weeks in the dealer it's first year and I never got a complimentary cup of coffee much less a loaner out of the deal.
They never even called me to tell me it was done.

From what I understand this recall only affects 5 bikes in the US. Harley wouldn't even send out a postcard for that. They would just wait until someone got killed on it and hand it over to their legal team. Done deal.
With a personal phone call from the importer your way ahead of the game as compared to HD.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:57:09 pm
Recently Mr. Kevin Mahoney called to inform me that my UCE G5 Efi has been recalled  :( .  The clearance in transmission is less than it should be and it can cause  problems at high speeds.  He said that RE is making parts that will take 2 weeks or so, then it will be shipped, and then my bike will be fixed.  I asked him to supply me another bike while mine gets fixed - he said he will try but cannot promise.

It was nice of him to call me personally but not being able to ride for the next 4 weeks or so is pretty upsetting.  I understand that recalls happen in small or big companies of all kinds of industries and this is one of them.  What happens WHILE the necessary changes are made is crucial for the buyer.  Those who spent money and bought the product did so because we like it and want it to succeed - so why not get it right and get things fixed now before it is too late and save a lot of headache later.   

I sincerely hope that Mr. Mahoney's 'cannot promise' turns into a 'yes, I will get you one' that will definitely put a positive spin on my experience.  Just as JamesC5 of UK got a bike to ride while his new C5 was getting fixed, why not provide a bike to US customers when ours are getting repaired ?  This recall can be turned into a positive experience for buyers if properly backed by the dealers and CMW. 

I doubt you would get a loaner from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki on a recall notice.

You would only get a loaner on a car from the high end dealers like BMW, Mercedes, etc. or if you had a long term relationship with your Chevy/Ford/Dodge dealer.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RE but we did not pay a BMW type premium price for them and to expect those perks without paying the "price" maybe unrealistic.

BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

Brian

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 08:01:21 pm
Quote from: BigDon  link=topic=4483.msg50533#msg50533 date=1244487429
I doubt you would get a loaner from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki on a recall notice.

You would only get a loaner on a car from the high end dealers like BMW, Mercedes, etc. or if you had a long term relationship with your Chevy/Ford/Dodge dealer.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RE but we did not pay a BMW type premium price for them and to expect those perks without paying the "price" maybe unrealistic.

Might just be my dealer, but when I ordered my Honda Fit last June, I got a free loaner until it arrived at the dealership. And when I had to have warranty work done on the Fit, I got another free loaner during that time. I think it depends less on the brand and more on the dealer (and I'd never dealt with this dealership before). Some mechanics around here will give you a loaner while they work on your car, some will charge for it, some don't do it at all. Kind of a crapshoot.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:20 pm
When I took my 650 BMW in for a service, my local Motoradd dealer tried to palm me off with some cr&p 1200c Cruiser as a loan bike for the day. 
After previously forcing me to take a demonstrator home for a couple of days over an August bank holiday weekend you would have thought he would have known better than to pull a stunt like that.

Prior to that when my 1150 went in for some recall work the dealer insisted on collecting it from my house and left me with LAST years 1100 as a loan biker until the work on my 1150 was completed. Pah.

Everytime I went into the shop they forced me to drink a cup of freshly made coffee.

You're right, you  just can't get good customer service anymore  ;)

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:45 pm
Might just be my dealer, but when I ordered my Honda Fit last June, I got a free loaner until it arrived at the dealership. And when I had to have warranty work done on the Fit, I got another free loaner during that time. I think it depends less on the brand and more on the dealer (and I'd never dealt with this dealership before). Some mechanics around here will give you a loaner while they work on your car, some will charge for it, some don't do it at all. Kind of a crapshoot.

I meant a Honda "Motorcycle" Dealer.
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:41:10 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your bike. I'm sure you'll taken care of properly, loaner or not.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 05:00:54 am
Thank you all for your input and experiences in this matter.  I am sure that some people are working hard to get this recall taken care off as efficiently as possible. 

Hello CJ -

What you have written about HD is interesting because before I had bought a bike, I visited HD dealer and they completely ignored me that I was even theres.  So I decided not to got there again.

Then I went to  Yamaha, Triumph and Honda dealers in NJ.  Out of all of them, Burgers Honda dealer in Three Bridges in NJ was absolsutely amazing.  They knew I was not buying a bike because I asked them where can I take my young son to ride a bike for one summer day, and where can I rent a bike ?  Not only they gave me a list of places in PA and other near by states but also brochures of Honda motorcycles etc.  I was completely attended to.  That day I decided that when I buy a bike, I will buy from them.  That summer I did not buy bike.

More than a year passed before I actually bought a bike.  I went back to them and bought a Honda Nighthawk and told them that even though we are doing a transaction today, but you had already sold me a bike a year ago (only they did not know about it).  I then bought motorcycle gear and other items from them over the next 2 years.  I still visit them and order some things from their parts department, who are also wonderful and knowledgeable. 

My point is when HD loses, Honda wins and the generotsity and sincerity of dealer wins customers and their loyalty.

My $20K ElectraGlide spent 9 weeks in the dealer it's first year and I never got a complimentary cup of coffee much less a loaner out of the deal.
They never even called me to tell me it was done.

From what I understand this recall only affects 5 bikes in the US. Harley wouldn't even send out a postcard for that. They would just wait until someone got killed on it and hand it over to their legal team. Done deal.
With a personal phone call from the importer your way ahead of the game as compared to HD.
CJ

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:22 am
I agree Singhg

Even if a dealer / manufacturer does not HAVE to provide extras in service, loaners, coffee, talking to you etc, it is essential for getting and keeping my business.

If RE wants to expand it's business as much as they say they do, then they'll need to step up and not only provide a quality bike mechanically but be able to give top notch service to it's customers. It's not hard, I doubt any of us expect a red carpet or anything, but just having someone friendly to talk to, especially in regards to warranty / recalls etc. Provide loaners through the dealers etc.

Harley may have enough customer base and brand power to treat customers poorly, but I don't think RE does, that would be a ticket to failure.

I don't think RE:USA has failed anyone yet that I've read. Kevin and co seem passionate and ready to help people, so that's a good sign.

Has anyone else got a call about the recall? I spoke to Torre and they hadn't heard anything yet, they were calling WS today (I wonder if THEY get through)
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 12:22:30 pm
A few little thoughts about loaners.
Most RE dealers in the US (at least the ones I have met) are low volume sellers. My dealer has 2 new RE's on the floor right now. If he gave one out as a loaner when he got it back he'd have 1 new one and 1 used one to sell. In tough times like this that would not be an option.
Now if Kevin were to provide one he would have to ship a new one from Mn. to wherever for let's say 300 bucks. Someone on the other end would have to put it together and give it to whoever was getting it. When they got it (now also used) back they would have to re-crate it and ship it back for another 300 bucks or so.
On top of that someone would have to plate and insure the bike. In Michigan that is getting harder and more expensive to the point of my dealer not even giving test rides anymore unless he has the cash in hand.

Now a high volume dealer might be able swallow that but I don't think the little RE dealers would.
If you do get a loaner good on ya but I wouldn't count on it.

One thing that impresses the heck out of me is what an interest REM and CMW are taking in the new bikes. Something almost unheard of in this day and age.

Another side note,
The big Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Star, Suzuki dealer around here that has the market on all those brands is also owned by the same guy that owns the HD dealer.
I went over there once because I wanted to get a W650. I was on my HD at the time and they wouldn't even talk to me. Needless to say I never got a W650.
Dealer service also forced me into driving a Toyota after all of the Big 3 shafted me.
When I got my first Bullet there were no dealers so the only person I could get pissed at was me if things were not up to snuff.  14 yrs later I'm still pissed at my self but my Bullets run good. If they don't I'll give myself a loaner while I fix it.
LOL
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:24 pm
I agree Singhg

Even if a dealer / manufacturer does not HAVE to provide extras in service, loaners, coffee, talking to you etc, it is essential for getting and keeping my business.

If RE wants to expand it's business as much as they say they do, then they'll need to step up and not only provide a quality bike mechanically but be able to give top notch service to it's customers. It's not hard, I doubt any of us expect a red carpet or anything, but just having someone friendly to talk to, especially in regards to warranty / recalls etc. Provide loaners through the dealers etc.

Harley may have enough customer base and brand power to treat customers poorly, but I don't think RE does, that would be a ticket to failure.

I don't think RE:USA has failed anyone yet that I've read. Kevin and co seem passionate and ready to help people, so that's a good sign.

And NOW - Introducing the NEW Royal Enfield for $25K!! ...... with free coffee.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:07:34 pm
And NOW - Introducing the NEW Royal Enfield for $25K!! ...... with free coffee.

Cappuccino is the drink of the new millennium.
You go to the dealer and sip cappuccino and compare dyno charts.
That's why there are so many HD's out there that are 10 yrs old and have 1,600 miles on em!
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"