Author Topic: Classic with sidecar - a little more speed  (Read 3356 times)

kevinpople

• Scooter
  • Classic with sidecar
on: October 11, 2007, 08:51:17 pm
I have recently purchased a classic 500 with a Euro Sidecar.  I love it and I am having a great time with it.  I would like to get up to 50 - 55 MPH without having it at full throttle.  The company offers some performance kits, do they work?  On most of my rides 45 is fine.  Just once in a while, between towns, I would like to get it close to the speed limit.  I currently have about 1,000 miles on it.  I did have the 500 mile maintenance performed by the dealer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 02:15:22 pm
 ... The company offers some performance kits, do they work?  ...

Yes, if you are going from a stock configuration.

Many of us have put on a less restrictive exhaust header pipe, muffler and air filter. Then we either replace the carb or tune the stock carb. Stock carb mods are often inserting a larger main and pilot jet as well as adjusting the needle. When the needle cannot be adjusted - but needs to be - sometimes the alternative is to replace the carb.

The majority of posts regarding the tune-up kits seem to be very positive. See the performance modifications section in my RE Notes signature link for some details on my own experience.

Matt

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 02:47:47 pm
Welcome on board.   :)

You have a nice looking rig.

I run a Classic 500 ES w/Cozy Bullet. My bike was rejetted by the dealer that set it up. I generally run 45-50. Have fun and enjoy.   8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

kevinpople

• Scooter
  • Classic with sidecar
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:16:00 pm
Thanks  -  I really do have a good time with this rig.  I don't have a problem at 45 -50 MPH on the back roads and around town.  Just going a long stretch between towns when traffic is going 55+, I would like a little extra go power, while not having it at full throttle.

Thanks for the comments. :)