Author Topic: Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Gauge  (Read 6905 times)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
on: June 08, 2009, 12:31:38 am
I was wondering if there was an aftermarket plug-and-play style replacement speedometer/odometer that also had a trip gauge.  I've only got 130 miles on my bike, so now would be the time to switch if any.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:34:46 pm
I don't know of any plug and play units. However, if really desire a good speedo and tach follow this link:

www.motogadget.com

rick505

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:31:06 pm
I didn't realize how much I use my trip meter in my car until I didn't have one on the bike.  Especially without a gas gauge.  I was thinking of using something like a "grease pencil" to write on the face of the speedometer when I fill up so I have an idea of miles ridden.  Something that would wipe off fairly easily with a rag or towel. 

Rick

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:27:58 am
I don't know of any plug and play units. However, if really desire a good speedo and tach follow this link:

www.motogadget.com

Those are great speedometers, but I'd like something that costs less than a major organ.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:21:14 am
Go and buy a regular bicycle computer. Cost $20-$30, just as accurate as a regular speedo etc, and can be mounted anywhere. Some have multiple trip meters!

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:34:54 am
Those are great speedometers, but I'd like something that costs less than a major organ.

That is exactly how I plan on paying for one. Now I just have to find a donor.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 02:14:40 am
I didn't realize how much I use my trip meter in my car until I didn't have one on the bike.  Especially without a gas gauge.  I was thinking of using something like a "grease pencil" to write on the face of the speedometer when I fill up so I have an idea of miles ridden.  Something that would wipe off fairly easily with a rag or towel. 

Rick
  Used to carry a roll of masking tape and do the same thing.  Total cost about $1.  Worked everytime.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

BRGreen

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:36:38 pm
I used this on my scooter for years. Now I use it on the RE. Clip on a small 4 wheel luggage lock somewhere on the bike. Mine is attached to the saddle bag. You can either set the numbers to your milage at refill time or set it ahead a couple of hundred miles.

Dave
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.

rick505

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:50 pm
I used this on my scooter for years. Now I use it on the RE. Clip on a small 4 wheel luggage lock somewhere on the bike. Mine is attached to the saddle bag. You can either set the numbers to your milage at refill time or set it ahead a couple of hundred miles.

Dave

Now that's pretty ingenious.  I have the Sedona bags on the bike with a "hasp" type thing I could put the lock on.  One "Atta Boy" for you today.    :)

Rick

geoffbaker

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:04:33 am
Just dont forget what the combo is... you might need something from that bag ! :)

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 06:57:31 am
Years ago, When I was working as a "Fast food" manager, the drill was to use a grease pencil to mark the expiration time of the baked potatoes on the front of the holding cabinet.  In the ongoing effort to keep things "clean" employees were constantly wiping the times off. At the local Western Auto Store (I think they are now out of business) I found a little plastic gizmo with sticky back mounting tape on it that had four or five number wheels. The device was sold as a mileage reminder (just the purpose we are looking for here). I used them to indicate the expiration times. It would end up being the same as having one of the luggage locks BRGreen mentioned, but the cost of the plastic gizmos was under a dollar for two.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 01:47:23 pm
I used to grease pencil the mileage on the chrome handlebar clamp... then I lost my grease pencil...  those things are getting rare !

I'm using a small posit note in the same spot.  Has enough room to keep track between oil changes. 

Think I'll look for a small "mileage reminder" thingy...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:42 pm
I tried a wireless cycle computer on my Bullet. Worked great until I started the engine. Then it went a bit loopy and showed 50 mph with the bike on the centre stand. I guess the radio link to the sender was a very simple analogue set-up that was vulnerable to EM noise from the charging and ignition systems.

A cheaper wired sensor one would have probably done quite well.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:28:02 pm
A cheaper wired sensor one would have probably done quite well.

I ended up trying a couple of them... finally got a Schwinn wired unit from Wally World.  Ended up working fine, but not for long.  The clip-in mount didn't keep things tight enough, so I was getting spurious readings... lasted long enough to "calibrate" the speedo, though...  I'll rig it back up again next season and figure a way to hard-wire the leads.

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:43:30 pm
I fill up every 200 miles, 3 gallons, never hit reserve,  200,400..... ::)  aatsa eazy !
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on