Author Topic: gas mileage  (Read 10056 times)

mtrude

• Scooter
on: October 11, 2007, 01:56:14 pm
Hello, what are everyones experience with gas mileage? My 1999 Bullet with small muffler and pancake air filter is getting in the low 60`s for mileage. My commute is 10 miles at relatively low speeds, 40 ish with a last mile run of 50 to 60. Im sure a longer run with steadier speeds would be an improvement. Thanks mtrude

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:42:44 pm
I get 60-63 mpg (U.S) with my stock '07 Classic 500 no matter what I do.  I'm planning on replacing the stock "long can" muffler and air filter (K & N element in the stock airbox) this winter and will likely have to rejet. 

I expected a little higher mileage as I don't push my bike very hard... will be interesting to see what better breathing might do...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:24:32 pm
Every tank, I am getting 74mpg. That is with no urban riding. (ain't got anywhere urban to ride in)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:25:35 pm
With an S&B filter and trials pipe (with mute, but from the sound little restriction!) my '93 350 seems to do about 70-75 mpg (is that the same as US gallons?). I'd rather expected more given my sedate style!.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:31:26 pm
Hello, what are everyones experience with gas mileage? My 1999 Bullet with small muffler and pancake air filter is getting in the low 60`s for mileage. My commute is 10 miles at relatively low speeds, 40 ish with a last mile run of 50 to 60. Im sure a longer run with steadier speeds would be an improvement. Thanks mtrude

With a performance header, exhaust and Amal Mk1 my Electra X was getting a consistent low 70's MPG. It was running noticeably lean at lower throttle openings so I put in a slide valve that had a cutaway one step richer. Surprisingly, this reduced my gas mileage to mid-60's - where it has been consistent.

Matt

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 03:38:02 pm
2005 Classic, stock air cleaner, rejetted and piped. Run 55-60mph most of the time, with a return of 75-80mpg at 3000 miles on the clock. My W650 twin gets 70mpg. I just don't know why everyone gets such lousey gas milage compared to mine. My 650 Savage single gets 60-65 mpg. I don't baby any of my bikes either. All bikes were broke in harder than recommended. I was told a long time ago by a race car driver to break a new motor in the way you plan to drive it. I have never had a problem, and they always performed better than ones broke in by some old lady. Those always blew up when pushed harder. I used to build drag car motors. Everything new. Run with no water for 1 minute, its broke in and everything  seated. Take to the drag strip and run it, never blew up any, and they ran great.  Never a problem. I rode my Classic one day for 279 miles at an average speed of 55-60mph, slowing down or stopping only for the small towns along the long 2 lane blacktop.I used 3.5 gallons of gas for 79.7 mpg. My speedo is correct to + or - 2mph @ 60mph checcked by Saginaw County Sherrif  who is a freind of mine.   Hutch   I see while I was typing(I'm slow) others are getting better mileage, I knew I couldn't be the only one.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:51:31 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:47:56 pm
I always get in the mid 70s. When I added a performance kit, I also added a 19-tooth front sprocket, so I guess one made up for the other. I still get mid 70s in mixedriding, and I don't baby mine either. I'd be willing to bet that if I were on a long trip, cruising at a steady sedate pace, I'd probably be getting in the 80s.

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:21:27 pm
Hello, there seems to be a pattern that the faster/longer you ride the better your mileage? (maybe) I need to try a good long ride and see if mine improves. On my current commute Im sure start and stops and slow engine speeds arent helping. mtrude

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:54:34 pm
With an S&B filter and trials pipe (with mute, but from the sound little restriction!) my '93 350 seems to do about 70-75 mpg (is that the same as US gallons?). I'd rather expected more given my sedate style!.
We need to remember here, that a U.S. gallon is about 20% smaller than an Imperial (uUK.) gallon and adjust expectations accordingly.  When I get mine, I'll be more thna happy with anything over 60mpg.  It will beat the hell out of my '98 v6 F150, averge about 15mpg, 10mpg if I hitch my boat up!  Of course I might look a little islly towing a 21ft boat down the highway withan Enfield ;D.  Mind you, if there's no warning sticker on the bike, some fool will probably try it!  I have to say that I was somewhat taken abck when I saw a disclaimer on a waterproof ball cap I bought at Academy which read "NOT a flotation device".  Go figure, "Abandon ship and don't forget your hat!"! ::)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:58:45 pm
    My first fill up doesn't look to good.But I'm still in the early break in.Also,the tank filler neck doesn't have any easy reference point to use as a fill point. My other bikes have a rolled metal area that I use as a fill point.itt appears I got about 47 US mpg so far.I'm hoping for more like high 60's or 70's.
    This morning I used the kick start to start it cold just to try it out.Temp was maybe 40 degrees F.

jon
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:51:24 pm by birdmove »
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:31:40 pm
I get about 65 - 68mpg (UK imperial) from my 500 Classic if it helps!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 08:47:05 pm
With my '06 500 ES, 30 pilot/127.5 main, old-style exhaust and short muffler, K&N-in-the-air-box mod, 230 lb. payload, 5000 miles on the odometer, urban commuting at sea level in tropical weather, about 65 MPG last I checked. Moving the clip up a notch on the needle raised it to about 75 MPG, but with increased bluing of the exhaust and a slight but noticeable performance hit. With no way to monitor head temps, idling at interminably long stop lights in +90o weather made me nervous, so I lowered it again.

LJRead

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 08:54:23 pm
2005 Classic, stock air cleaner, rejetted and piped. Run 55-60mph most of the time, with a return of 75-80mpg at 3000 miles on the clock. My W650 twin gets 70mpg. I just don't know why everyone gets such lousy gas mileage compared to mine. My 650 Savage single gets 60-65 mpg. I don't baby any of my bikes either. All bikes were broke in harder than recommended. I was told a long time ago by a race car driver to break a new motor in the way you plan to drive it. I have never had a problem, and they always performed better than ones broke in by some old lady. Those always blew up when pushed harder. I used to build drag car motors. Everything new. Run with no water for 1 minute, its broke in and everything  seated. Take to the drag strip and run it, never blew up any, and they ran great.  Never a problem. I rode my Classic one day for 279 miles at an average speed of 55-60mph, slowing down or stopping only for the small towns along the long 2 lane blacktop.I used 3.5 gallons of gas for 79.7 mpg. My speedo is correct to + or - 2mph @ 60mph checked by Saginaw County Sherif who is a friend of mine.   Hutch   I see while I was typing(I'm slow) others are getting better mileage, I knew I couldn't be the only one.

If you were to take two riders and the same bike, I''ll bet you could see a difference in gas mileage between them.  Might have to do with the smoothness of throttle control, some people are quirky, others not.  Both you, Hutch, and Dew seem to be of the hard break in school.  I suppose if you stay below the seize-up point, hard would be alright.  Maybe best is to once in a while open up to above break in recommendations to sort of loosen things up.

One thing for sure, R E gas mileage is good enough!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 09:53:21 pm
    Yeah, I'm trying to work out a throttle problem also. The rpm tends to hang up when I shift.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 12:21:58 am
    Yeah, I'm trying to work out a throttle problem also. The rpm tends to hang up when I shift.

Jon

Jon,

With the engine off - turn the twistgrip to full open, then completely release your hand - you can hear the carb slide bottom out smartly as long as there is no cable drag.  Do this with both a cold and hot engine.

If the mechanical throttle assembly is good, it sounds like an air leak somewhere.  Talked about the choke seal in a previous post.  Might try the rubber seal around the carb slide cap and throttle cable fitment.  Push it down and spray with Chain Wax (this also acts as a temporary sealer) and see if the RPM hang is still present.

Also might tilt the carb a few degrees, like Vince said, and experiment.

BTW - with my rough estimate I'm getting 75 -80 MPG.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 03:53:04 am
  Thanks for the tips Foggy. Whats strange is it does'n't seem to do it when I first take off after a cold start.Once warmed up it starts it.
    jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 07:02:30 am

Jon

Jon,

Your idle (pilot) circuit is to rich. You need to adjust the air mixture screw counter clockwise to lean it out and then re-adjust the idle screw to set the correct idle speed. Make sure you warm the engine up fully before you start to tune the carb.

Chris
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 08:15:47 am
    You might be right there, Chris.When I start this thing up cold, I can literally open the choke right away, and it will stay running.I haven't got my manual yet.The idle adjust screw is the big knurled screw on the left side. Wheres the air mixture screw?

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 01:56:34 pm
The idle air screw is the single brass slotted 'screw' to the right of the large idle adjuster nearly flush with the body of the carb. Two to two and a half turns out from fully closed (ie wound in clockwise) is about right.
You do need to get the bike warm first before altering all these settings and don't be worried if your bike likes to be 1.8 turns out or three turns etc. They are very individual so no hard and fast rule. Little turns/tweeks on the screw are the order of the day though to fine tune it. Great handfuls of 1/4 turns etc on that screw make huge differences!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:35:24 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 07:12:29 pm
And be gentle on seating the pilot screw when re-adjusting - it's brass.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter