Poll

How much do you think this bike is worth?

less than $5,000
$5-10,000
$10-15,000
$15-20,000
over $25,000

Author Topic: 1958 Royal Enfield Indian Motorcycle  (Read 26956 times)

maestro1

• Neophyte
  • 1958 Indian Trailblazer
on: October 09, 2007, 08:52:51 pm
Hello, I just bought this beauty impulsivly! & I have no idea of model, just that its a 1958 Royal Enfield Indian Motorcycle & I was told that it is "Extremely Rare Indian" that these were only made in England for 2 yrs (Previously made in Springfield, MA). Its all Original Motorcycle. I was told a Wealthy Newspaper editor had approx 100 of these motorcycles made in England during the 2 year period. Any additional information would be much appreciated (e.g. make, model, history). Thank you!

[old attachment deleted by admin]

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:25:46 pm
It is a special edition 58 Trailblazer. It looks like the side covers were chrome instead of red/ black, with 2 tone paint instead of solid red or black available on the stock Trailblazer.. It should have the 700(692cc) Super Meteor motor in it. It put out 40hp@5,500 rpm with 7.25 compression, and a Amal  Monobloc 1 and 1/16th carb. Weight was 425 lbs wet. Yours will be more with the bumper guards and rack. It was capable of over 100mph, but cruised gracefully at 70-75mph and returned 55-70 mpg in proper tune, according to period road tests. I couldn't tell you if yours has bigger carb or cam than the stock Super Meteor Motor.Very beautiful bike. Worth a lot of bucks stock, let alone special edition.   Hutch
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:16:51 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:51:36 pm
A lovely beast, ain't she...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

deejay

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 08:02:14 pm
wow, that is nice, lets see some more pics! you gonna ride it or what? I hope so...

clubhubie

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 06:15:38 pm
Like Hutch was saying ... this bike is worth some bucks.  From what I have gathered Indians were made by Enfield from 55-60, however they were painted red and marketed to Americans. This bike looks like a special model and since I have only ever seen one other like this before (bad condition) online I dont have much more info on the bike however I would say you may have made a real find. The details, chrome accents, and body seem to be in outstanding condition. My guess is this thing would win show awards from the parking lot.  Where did you get it from?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 07:28:28 pm
That is the nicest one of these that I have ever laid my eyes on.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:35 pm
The RE Indians were exported with the Indian badges begining in 1955 although Royal enfield motorcycles were being sold by Indian dealerships as early as the late 1940s. John Brockhouse ended up with control of the Indian Sales Corporation after he aquired it from recievership in late 1953. He contracted with Royal Enfield to build models similar to ones thay had already been making, only subtle changes to mudguards, handlebars, etc. to accomodate the American operated dealership's requirements. This arangement lasted till 1959 when AMC purchased Mr. Brockhouse's interest in the Indian Sales Corporation. The AMC owned Indian Sales Corp then started marketing there own Matchless brands for a while untill they became financially insolvent.

I have never seen a Trailblazer with this much chrome before, in person or in advertisements. My 1958 Trailblazer is the usual Indian red tank, fenders, & toolbox with black painted frame & fittings. Some of the Chief models have been fetching over $7000 US but only if in very good condition. RE Interceptors seem to be the biggest seller in the $8000 or more catagory, especially the series II models. I think the prices will go up as intrest in the Brit Bike market gains popularity.

bill440cars

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 05:01:25 am

Hey guys, I'm new here on the forums. Not new to the Indian motorcycles or the Enfield/Indians. I've never had one but my Grandfather (who started his motorcycle  shop in 1932 w/ my Dad joining him in the business a few years later. Selling & working on Indians) had a 55' Woodsman. My Dad , after having several early Indians, had a 55' Indian Fire Arrow that he bought new and took it out of the crate to convert it to look like my Granfather's Woodsman. Matter of fact, it looked a lot like the Bullet with the Trial Kit fitted. In my time, I've never seen a Trailblazer like the one previously shown. Just my own opinion but, I think the original red or the later models that were black were great looking. But of course I'm just glad to see those in such good shape. I'm looking for where I should actually introduce myself, it someone could judt point the way, I'd appreciate it. ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;) 

jade

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 12:14:36 am
greetings-

i have a 1958 indian RE that is in need of some mechanical help.  does any one know of mechanics that specialize in RE's that live on the west coast?  any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:16:16 am by jade »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:41:39 pm
You might want to try the Royal Enfield section of the Brit Bike Forum, www.britbike.com.  Those folks might be more in tune with the information you are seeking.  Good Luck......Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com