Author Topic: Help needed on another RE ID  (Read 4264 times)

Cory

• Scooter
on: June 30, 2008, 12:42:12 pm
Hi,

I have purchased an RE as a restoration project but am unsure what it is at the moment.

The frame number (as I have interpreted it) is REJ   48617

Does anyone know what any of this means or if any of the numbers have to be incorrect?

Im only sure of: _E_   __617

Thanks

Cory

Cory

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:40:44 am
should also add the bike is in Australia, any ideas?

Thanks

Cory

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:38:34 pm
It looks like a model 125 "RE" with some modifications. I don't know enough about the REs to give an accurate date of manufacture. If I had to guess I'd say it is a late model sometime in the early 1960s or late 50s.

The Royal Enfield Owners Club in the UK might have the information you are looking for, or try Hitchcock's in the UK.

Cory

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:06:49 am
Thanks for the tip, Im having a bit of problem locating the engine number, do you know where this is normally located?

Thank you

Cory

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:46:02 pm
I'm much more familiar with the twin Royal Enfield and they have the numbers on the left side of the engine case just below the cylinder base and on the front of the case for the 1956 & earlier models. On the small singles I have no idea. The number you posted looks like an engine number from that era. Its possible they only had one number for both engine & frame on the little singles.