Author Topic: Another One Bites The Dust!  (Read 15432 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: May 30, 2009, 06:35:20 pm
Just when things were getting better after 516 miles on my Efi (DL). Since March I have been pottering around on my bike -getting it run in --and now when on a longer planned run of about 200 miles, and after just 33 miles the bikes failes. What have I done to deserve this I ask myself?
The bike eventually ground to a halt after erratic running and displaying a red light on the MIL. The bike then would refuse to start, no initial red light or whirring sound from the fuel pump,as is normally the case, and so had to have the breakdown wagon return it to the dealer.
The symptoms as far as I can see are fuel starvation/ECU problems but I am only guessing. Perhaps blocked fuel filter or doggy fuel pump. Its now in the lap of the gods.
Must say I am very much "browned off" with this situation at the moment- this being a new bike and all that.
Will have to wait and see what the dealer comes up with.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:36 pm
Oh man, I'm sorry about that, I hope it's something simple and easy.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:09:00 pm
Sounds like something relatively minor to me.
The bike did whatever it could do. It lit the MIL light, and if you knew the indicator sequence for the light, it might have told you what the fault was.
Not that you could fix it on the road, anyway, but it might have told you where the fault was.

Thankfully, the warrantee is in place, and this type of thing is exactly why they have warrantees.
I hope you get the bike back soon.
Theoretically, if the dealer knows the MIL sequence, and has a part on hand, he should be able to get it right back on the road in no time.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:25:18 pm
hmm, rough break. hope mine takes well to the one month break in i'm going to have to put the bike through (it'll get the real test after around late august with a trip up to Vermont from Jersey).

about how long should i run it before breaking it in?

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:54:06 pm
Doesn't the manual somewhere list the MIL codes? I would think it should... what's the point in having user-accessible diagnostics if they don't let you know what they are?

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:20:24 am
Doesn't the manual somewhere list the MIL codes? I would think it should... what's the point in having user-accessible diagnostics if they don't let you know what they are?
Hi Geoff
This is the most annoying thing about the whole episode. I thought a sequential flashing red light may have hinted at the problem. But the thing is there was no flashing light in the end just a poor old (new) engine turning over but not firing up. It was as though it was starved of fuel or no spark. My opinion is that it was fuel starvation.
 Problem page in handbook says for "engine starts, but runs irregularly & stops" = faulty fuel supply , check pump, filter blocked. If the oil strainer previously found was anything to go on, I'm suspecting crud in the pump/filter. This would obviously be from the manufacturer. Will have to waite and see what the dealer finds.
I'm as sick as the proverbial  parrot.
Regards

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 05:35:11 pm
Computer controll engine, is not an end all for trouble shooting. You will not get a "light' for a verity of possible  malfunctions ie bad TCI, fuel pump not pumping, oil leaks, loose wires.You still need to go back to basics, then check codes. Oh this works for cars too.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:36:34 pm
Computer controll engine, is not an end all for trouble shooting. You will not get a "light' for a verity of possible malfunctions IE bad TCI, fuel pump not pumping, oil leaks, loose wires.You still need to go back to basics, then check codes. Oh this works for cars too.
Can't denie what you are saying REpozer. BUT, the last paragraph of the sales brochure quotes
 "with the next generation of Royal Enfields you can experience pure motorcycling as it was intended, with the added reassurance of reliability, but authentic, 500cc single."
This is a new bike remember.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 07:49:17 pm
Hang in there Marrtyn, It sucks to have a new bike down for repairs. I'm sorry it had to be your bike, but finding the problem will improve the breed for the rest of us. I hope you are back in the saddle soon.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 08:29:30 pm
In order for the self diagnostic system to be of any use it must first be deployed. The procedure for that is to find the "test pin" wire and ground it out. This wire is just a short piece of wire from the ECU with a female plug on the end. You can put an alligator clip on it and then ground it. When that is done the MIL will start blinking in code to tell you what has failed. I thought the codes were published in the owners manual but I COULD VERY WELL BE MISTAKEN and I do not have one in front of me. I have posted the codes below however.
  However REpozer makes a very important point. The diagnostic feature is only part of the solution. Very simple basic theory also needs to be taken into account. For example you report no fuel pump noise. That would cause me to look at the fuses and connections before I did anything else. The other thing that could cause that trouble would be the roll-over sensor which cuts off fuel flow. However these are pretty simple "Bullet proof" devices and it is not the most likely culprit. Of course the fuel pump itself could be bad which is easy to test. I am not aware of any failed pumps worldwide, but that may not mean anything if yours has failed. For the filter to have plugged a very large amount of stuff would have to be in the fuel. The filter is quite tall and has a lot of surface area. You would also most likely still hear the pump running. One clue is that you did get a MIL indication. This means that a code was tripped which should be quite easy to sort out.
  It will be interest to see what the outcome is. Of course what is of academic interest to me is a huge pain in the a** to you. Please keep us all posted. I have posted the codes below

MIL BLINK CONTENT
Engine will start but not perform to its potential. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 0 SHORT 6 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 0 SHORT 9 ManifoldAbsolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 1 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 7 O2 Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunctioning

Engine will NOT Start but will crank. MIL will glow continuousLONG 1 SHORT 5 Rollover Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 3 Injector circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 7 Ignition Coil circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 1 Fuel Pump circuit malfunctioning
LONG 6 SHORT 6 Crankshaft position circuit malfunctioning
Testing Procedure using the Test pin in the vehicle

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 09:14:34 pm
What's a "MIL light"?
Run what ya brung

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 09:30:59 pm
Sorry "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" commonly known as your "check engine light"
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JMHAZ

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:25:32 pm
Kevin, there is no list of MIL codes in my G5 manual. Thanks for posting them; I was beginning to wonder if the user-diagnostic capability was only a rumor.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:27 pm
I think threads like this are good in several ways.

Particularly because it helps people to understand that just because a product is made to be highly reliable, it doesn't mean that nothing is ever going to happen to it.
There is no brand of motorcycle that is immune to warrantee repairs, and that is why every brand has a warrantee department. Even the "vaunted" Japanese motorcycle dealer shops see warrantee failures very often.

It's always disappointing to have a breakdown, but we all know that it's a possibility, and we can only rely then on a good service experience to help us get over the impact of reality on our dreams.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:07:19 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 08:54:37 pm
Thanks for all your concerns,Gents, and in particular thanks Kevin for the list of MIL blink codes, -no they are not in my ,manual either, but they soon will be now!   I must say your level of expertise is very helpfull -I'm not quite sure were we on this side of the pond would be without this forum and all the advise given by its contributors.

The bike is not yet fixed ( my dealer has limitations on labour resources), but it is now thought that somewere in the electrics there is a loose spade connector, thereby not being able to signal to the MIL/ECU or what ever??  -hence currently no blinking red light. So at the end of day 3, still waiting patiently and slowly climbing out of this bed of self pity.
Regards