Author Topic: G5 Military  (Read 24200 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:31 am
Br. Scoot, you do good work... the new Military you've cooked up is even cooler than the original model... very, very, very cool...  8)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 06:03:35 am
Excellent, excellent.  Should give it the blacked out exhaust that comes stock on the 09 Military, and it would be even better.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:22 am
The Ural pictured above with the desert sand exterior looks to be a real military type vehicle.  I'm not sure the Enfield military that you all rave about really fills the bill quite as nicely.  I would prefer to see much less chrome as with the Classic Military of old, but like the looks of the heavy front fender.  As to the pill capsule boxes that people tend to not like, I think they should be made functional on both sides (though maybe the chain guard of the older AVLs and such gets in the way of this), but to me it seems perfectly functional as a place to carry tools and would be more so if both of them could be opened and locked.  If something has a good function like that it is fine with me.

The chrome front headlight rim needs painting and all of the paint should be dulled down.  I know the argument is that flat paint is difficult to keep clean, but maybe a low sheen might work.  The beautiful polished UCE engine needs to conform to military specs, if there are any!!!

Yes, and there does need to be a replacement for the panniers other than a leather saddlebag. 

Just some thoughts though, not wanting to dampen anyone's enthusiasm.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 04:36:43 am
The unpainted G-5 Military engine is an amusing story. Because it is a new engine they won't paint it at the factory come hell or high water, No matter how I've pleaded or begged they just will not do it. Scooter Bob and I have been sorely tempted to take a paint can to the one we are dressing up, but neither one of us has conjured up the nerve. Maybe we can get Rhett to Photoshop it a bit. LOL LJ is really right about the headlight surround as well.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:22 pm
A very quick PS job...
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 03:06:23 pm
See, that quick photoshopped version already looks a million times better. Amazing how much painting the engine and taking out the chrome can complete the look.

If this thing had the metal panniers (I'm a big fan of them, think they complete the military look), I would honestly probably get one the moment my closest dealer could get one. I've decided I want to keep my '08 Iron military, simply because I feel almost like it's a piece of history, the last of its kind. Even though I'm a poor little college student in the midst of a major move, I'd probably have to fork out the cash for one of these G5s if it JUST had the right look. It's almost there.
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 03:15:10 pm
Br. Scoot, you do good work... the new Military you've cooked up is even cooler than the original model... very, very, very cool...  8)

Thanks, Juan! This little bike HAS grown on me a LOT since I've been doing so much to it ..... I actually like the shape of it a little better than the Iron Barrel! It appears to be a little more "organic" than the original Bullet ..... Accessorising the bike has been a big part of the fun - the possibilities are seemingly endless on this "blank slate". You know a REAL military bike would take on a personality all it's own as it was ridden and used by the man in the field. I hang bags and stuff of every kind on MINE .... I've considered removing a pannier and putting a 20-litre fuel can on side .... and adding a rifle scabbard to it. Hahaha!! The possibilities for the end user to customise THIS Enfield are unlimited .... I MAY go nuts and dig in my surplus gear and do a "ratted out, hang one of everything I own on it and see what it looks like" thing on the G5 .... If I'm happy with it - I'll post it! 
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:47 pm
The paint sheen seems about right, not to shiny/ flash, and the whole bike looks "authoritative" like it's going to do battle.  I would like to see what the original Indian military version looked like. Anyone have a photo?  I think some thought could go into the side panniers to make them even more military than the ones on the older R Es.  I have a vision in mind, just can't put it down in a post - if I see something that suits I'll bring it up.

You did great, however, in toning down the shine of the paint job - I like the duller finish a lot.  In my opinion, the G-5 bikes have it over the C-5 in that they represent a true progression rather than a reversion.  By using the Electra side cases to cover, I suppose, some of the EFI, they have avoided the pod like round cover on the C-5.  It looks like what it is, a new bike design with a British heritage.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 02:45:24 am
James - Did you do the Photoshop? it looks great. Guess the rattle can of Olive Drab may be a good idea.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 02:55:28 am
I like the pod like round cover ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 04:47:54 am
quote from r80rt "I like the pod like cover" ;D

And I'm sure most do, and most seem to prefer the C-5 over the G-5, all of which seems to lend support to my having the better taste in bikes. ;D
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 12:06:40 pm
HA!  ;D My problem is I like all of them very much. I've searched for a practical classic for years, and I believe RE has built one in the C5. Oval pods Rule!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:37 pm
That cover is one of the coolest styling cues (to use a phrase the designer used) on the bike. It is one of my favorite visual features of the C-5. It also does a great job of hiding some of the EFI looking stuff.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:28 pm
But to base the military on the c-5 gives you a rugged looking bike WITHOUT a kickstarter. That's just wrong.
But then, I always thought the Jeep Wrangler with an automatic was wrong too. :-\
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 02:16:08 pm
But then, I always thought the Jeep Wrangler with an automatic was wrong too. :-\

Funny you should mention that, I'm actually looking for one that I can afford. Not a fan of driving automatic automobiles, as weird as that might sound. And I love Wranglers. Wish I could just find a cheap used one.
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron