Author Topic: G5 Military  (Read 24194 times)

Charro

• Bulleteer
on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:06 am
Kevin, did I read your news letter right. You are going to offer a G5 Military? When? Where?

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:45:18 pm
Will it have gaiters? Will it have fender stays? Will it have the triangle or pill shaped toolboxes? As a G5 I imagine: Yes, no, pill shaped.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:47:54 pm
It's not true till we see the pictures..   :D
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:02:43 am
just got the newsletter myself. geeze, this makes the decision even harder. i think i'm going to keep with my original plan of a Deluxe with the standard black fenders, but damn if that matte green isn't tempting...

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:37 pm
i think the classic has painted fenders and the de lux has chrome. click ,on bikes at the top of the page.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:41:44 pm
i think the classic has painted fenders and the de lux has chrome. click ,on bikes at the top of the page.
oh, i know. i'm switching them. i'm going for a more 30s look. sure, try and do that with that clean UCE, but i don't really care.

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:38:15 pm
just got the newsletter myself. geeze, this makes the decision even harder. i think i'm going to keep with my original plan of a Deluxe with the standard black fenders, but damn if that matte green isn't tempting...

I feel your pain. I was all set to order a Black Deluxe this summer. But a G5 Military, might have to wait and see how that one looks. I might match my Ural.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 12:04:42 am
aren't the new G5 militaries going to be sans crash bars and military panniers? Sorta makes it a standard G5 with olive drab doesn't it?

2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:16:00 am
aren't the new G5 militaries going to be sans crash bars and military panniers? Sorta makes it a standard G5 with olive drab doesn't it?
yeah, but i never liked the metal panniers or the crash bars of the military bike in the first place, and getting an olive drab paint job is more work (and probably more expensive), so getting a military G5 would be worth it.

though in the end, i'm probably just going to get a black Deluxe and get some black fenders to get the look i really want.

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:42 am
Anybody know if the old style triangular tool box will fit on the G-5 without a lot of fabrication ?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:22:59 am
The triangular boxs can't really be retro-fitted to the UCE Military. The frame will not accomodate them
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:12 am
Time to get out the torch and the sawsall and throw the pill box where it belongs..

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:23 pm
It's not true till we see the pictures..   :D

Just remember - nothing is true until it's been OFFICIALLY denied -  ;D So - this doesn't exist, I haven't ridden it and it hasn't attracted any crowds at all ....  ;D  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:21:07 pm
Just remember - nothing is true until it's been OFFICIALLY denied -  ;D So - this doesn't exist, I haven't ridden it and it hasn't attracted any crowds at all ....  ;D  ::)

And it looks like those pics were not taken right in front of Corporate Headquarters!
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:23:15 pm
HOLY CHRIST! it looks just like that does it? to make up for the lack of panniers? and will i be able to get that great looking luggage rack in black too?

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:47:12 pm
So where was that when I bought a C5?

Beautiful!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 06:12:52 pm
Nice,,  I need more money....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 07:38:09 pm
That does it. I'm wating on the Deluxe until that one comes out.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 07:41:42 pm
Well - First off - WHAT kind of Corporate HQ in the world would have such a pastoral setting? Further plausible deniability, I say ......  ;D

The rack package MIGHT be available .... after all, there may a picture of it somewhere on the board here .... I think .... but I ain't sayin!

As for the Military not being available when you bought your C5? I'm assuming that you are in the UK, perhaps. The Military will be a USA only bike if someone would make one  ::).... It's been said that the Military bike is just not too popular in India amongst the civilian population (unless they are getting surplus ones for just a few Rupees!) so they never made a "road going" version of it for export. The domestic RE Military bike features the UCE engine, in 350cc with a carburettor, so the REST of us will never see it due to emissions rules and regs. At least YOU got to see a C5 - all I've seen is PICTURES! I'm rolling around on the ground to see one of THOSE up close! Yeah - I need more dough, too ...... and more space in the garage!! Dang UTT!!  :'(

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:10:52 pm
With a dark leather tractor seat and a pair of rucksacks for bags, it would be freakin' perfect...

How 'bout a version in U.S. Desert Tan?

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Ukuvox

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 05:37:29 am
Oooohhhh...I was freaking out when I saw those pictures but when Mike said,

Posted by: mbevo1

...my heart stopped from the excitement. :o If I survive, I'd consider one instead of a C5...

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 06:25:17 am
Well - First off - WHAT kind of Corporate HQ in the world would have such a pastoral setting? Further plausible deniability, I say ......  ;D

The rack package MIGHT be available .... after all, there may a picture of it somewhere on the board here .... I think .... but I ain't sayin!
there's a black one on TRider's Classic kit enfield.

i really liked the look of it better than the oval rack, though honestly, i would LOVE something as low to the fender as possible.it just ends up looking better.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 08:51:56 am
And....I....just...bought....a....Military...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 02:12:13 pm
Nice effort, but too much chrome.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 05:57:24 pm
At least the pill is blacked out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:00:10 pm by holodeck »

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 06:00:13 pm
I have heard a deniable rumor that someone has seen another combination or two for the G-5 Military that just might make the metal panniers that we are used to yesterdays news. Guess we'll have to see if anything accidentally gets put up here soon. I sure hope Scooter Bob doesn't do that. . For what it is worth I also heard a deniable rumor that 20 of the Militaries will be arriving in MN by the end of next week which would be two weeks early. Another rumor says the ship has already docked and they are being unloaded as we speak. Of course this is all stuff that I have only heard whispers about and it is all at least 4th hand .
  For what it is worth we are the only country that orders the Military model. The reason they are so late is that I had to beg and plead for the factory to even make them. They cannot understand why this is one of our most popular models.

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 11:20:06 pm
I have heard a deniable rumor that someone has seen another combination or two for the G-5 Military that just might make the metal panniers that we are used to yesterdays news. Guess we'll have to see if anything accidentally gets put up here soon. I sure hope Scooter Bob doesn't do that. . For what it is worth I also heard a deniable rumor that 20 of the Militaries will be arriving in MN by the end of next week which would be two weeks early. Another rumor says the ship has already docked and they are being unloaded as we speak. Of course this is all stuff that I have only heard whispers about and it is all at least 4th hand .
  For what it is worth we are the only country that orders the Military model. The reason they are so late is that I had to beg and plead for the factory to even make them. They cannot understand why this is one of our most popular models.

Kevin tell India, that the moment a G5 Military hits our dealers I will buy one.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 11:28:38 pm
Charro,
Better tell your importer. Those bikes are a funny thing. When we get a new dealer they invariably tell us that the bike is too ugly and they don't think they will sell. We suggest kindly that they really should try one and then we shut up. Invariably they are on the phone ordering one because the first customer that walked in the door wanted one
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:26 am
Oooohhhh...I was freaking out when I saw those pictures but when Mike said,

Posted by: mbevo1

...my heart stopped from the excitement. :o If I survive, I'd consider one instead of a C5...

The term "desert tan" HAS been kicked around a bit .... I've mostly been GETTING the kicking. It would be ONE MORE hole that I'd have to dig out in the garage .... I am a proponent! Especially with some sort of subtle "chocolate chip" camo job on it .... A "one or two off" one may show up .... I may have to freekin' BUILD one to suit me! Hahaha!! The OD Green G5 Military is pretty darn spanky, tho .... I swear, it almost looks better than than my Iron barrel bike! Oh ..... my ...... GAWD!! I actually SAID that, didn't I? I had best go ride the little iron barrel to appease the Enfield gods now .... I could have screwed up ...... !  ;D

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 04:20:14 am
Every year, Ural comes out with a "limited Edition". It's a standard model, with a different paint scheme. They make 30-50 of them, charge an extra $500 per, and sell out.
This year they have a desert tan, called the Sahara.
I am thinking with SB's talent, Enfield could develop a similar program and add even more uniqueness to the Enfield.

Ural Sahara:
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 04:31:00 am
We have done this a couple of times. We did 20 limited editions in the White Classic several years ago and then more recetnly the "Final Edition" bikes which were the last 20 500cc Iron Barrels ever built. I have the very last one and Scooter Bob has the last Military. Guess we  didn't do too well since we bought our own product. Not a great way to make money. URAL makes some nice limited editions. They have the advantage of owning the factory we don't. This is a good idea and one to keep in mind.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 05:01:14 am
What is great about all this fantasy and wishing and hoping is that it makes me feel like a young kid again...like when the new Schwinn models arrived at the neighborhood bike shop in time for Christmas. All we could do was look, touch and drool a little because we knew we were never getting one...too expensive, would have to wait for some kid to sell his used one later down the line. But this time I ain't waiting...hell I've been waiting all my life and I think it is about time I get that new bike for myself this time...that is if it was not fantasy or rumor and there was a real ship bringing real military G5's in....Oh well I guess all an old kid can do is dream...and hope.... ;)
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:21 am
exactly paul. I've been riding since 1955 and my first new bike was my 06 delux.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Sasquatch_cycles

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 05:24:18 am
would the military G5s come w/the bags and springer seat?  I'm about 10 days from plopping my money down on a C5 but I like that bike in the picture and LOT.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 06:06:32 pm
What is great about all this fantasy and wishing and hoping is that it makes me feel like a young kid again...like when the new Schwinn models arrived at the neighborhood bike shop in time for Christmas. All we could do was look, touch and drool a little because we knew we were never getting one...too expensive, would have to wait for some kid to sell his used one later down the line. But this time I ain't waiting...hell I've been waiting all my life and I think it is about time I get that new bike for myself this time...that is if it was not fantasy or rumor and there was a real ship bringing real military G5's in....Oh well I guess all an old kid can do is dream...and hope.... ;)

Paul - You should try it on THIS end for a little bit! Talk about "Kid at Christmas Syndrome!" - Hahaha!! I get absolutely GIDDY when I get the opportunity to put together something like that G5 Military for you guys out there ... er, ah .... I mean THINK about putting one together ...  ;D It is great fun - as well as a great privilege to be involved at this level. I'd crank out super-cool custom deluxe Enfields all day LONG if I had the time to do JUST that .... I'm told that if I come home with ONE MORE motorcycle and that poop-eatin' grin on my face and start measuring the garage, that "ill be SLEEPIN' out in it ... Heeheehee! It MAY be worth the risk at some level! - Hahaha!   ::)

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:13 am
Scooterbob...and you get paid for what you do...or do you have to give them money to do it????
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 11:57:45 am
Scooterbob...and you get paid for what you do...or do you have to give them money to do it????

Not only do I get to love and dote on the newest Enfields and try to make 'em fun and reliable for you guys - I get all the free coffee that I can drink! I still think Kevin regrets THAT one!  ;D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:04 pm
The "blackout" version ..... Enjoy! I gotta get a cup o' joe now ......  ;D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 02:38:39 pm
Oops - I posted the back view of the bike twice .... Sorry about that - I guess I'm just letting the rest of the motorcycling world see all they are GONNA see of the new RE ... Hahahaha!! I MUST need a little more caffeine ....

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 03:40:50 pm
That almost makes a G5 appealing to me. Is it possible to get rid of the gaiters?

Thanks,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 04:17:52 pm
That almost makes a G5 appealing to me. Is it possible to get rid of the gaiters?

Thanks,
-Rick

The BEST part about an Enfield .... it all fits! You could convert it over to the earlier covered tube tinware and be in the HOUSE!

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
  • All I ever wanted was a world without maps...
Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 08:54:24 pm
I like it, but surely I'm not the only one who thinks it looks incomplete without the metal panniers? They look, in my humble opinion, SO MUCH better than the *ahem* run-of-the-mill saddlebags. I don't suppose the metal panniers from the older bikes could be fitted onto this?  If not, I'm sure somebody could rig them up--but not me. Honestly, that exclusion alone may be enough to keep me from getting one. It just doesn't look military enough to me without them.
The Thousand and One Tales of Indiana Josh

2008 Military Iron

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:33 pm
I like it quite a lot.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:06 pm
I think it is the lack of green on the motor/too much chrome that makes it look different.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 10:50:53 pm
I think it is the lack of green on the motor/too much chrome that makes it look different.

Good observation. I have to agree.

2008 Military Iron

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:31 am
Br. Scoot, you do good work... the new Military you've cooked up is even cooler than the original model... very, very, very cool...  8)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 06:03:35 am
Excellent, excellent.  Should give it the blacked out exhaust that comes stock on the 09 Military, and it would be even better.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:22 am
The Ural pictured above with the desert sand exterior looks to be a real military type vehicle.  I'm not sure the Enfield military that you all rave about really fills the bill quite as nicely.  I would prefer to see much less chrome as with the Classic Military of old, but like the looks of the heavy front fender.  As to the pill capsule boxes that people tend to not like, I think they should be made functional on both sides (though maybe the chain guard of the older AVLs and such gets in the way of this), but to me it seems perfectly functional as a place to carry tools and would be more so if both of them could be opened and locked.  If something has a good function like that it is fine with me.

The chrome front headlight rim needs painting and all of the paint should be dulled down.  I know the argument is that flat paint is difficult to keep clean, but maybe a low sheen might work.  The beautiful polished UCE engine needs to conform to military specs, if there are any!!!

Yes, and there does need to be a replacement for the panniers other than a leather saddlebag. 

Just some thoughts though, not wanting to dampen anyone's enthusiasm.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 04:36:43 am
The unpainted G-5 Military engine is an amusing story. Because it is a new engine they won't paint it at the factory come hell or high water, No matter how I've pleaded or begged they just will not do it. Scooter Bob and I have been sorely tempted to take a paint can to the one we are dressing up, but neither one of us has conjured up the nerve. Maybe we can get Rhett to Photoshop it a bit. LOL LJ is really right about the headlight surround as well.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:22 pm
A very quick PS job...
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 03:06:23 pm
See, that quick photoshopped version already looks a million times better. Amazing how much painting the engine and taking out the chrome can complete the look.

If this thing had the metal panniers (I'm a big fan of them, think they complete the military look), I would honestly probably get one the moment my closest dealer could get one. I've decided I want to keep my '08 Iron military, simply because I feel almost like it's a piece of history, the last of its kind. Even though I'm a poor little college student in the midst of a major move, I'd probably have to fork out the cash for one of these G5s if it JUST had the right look. It's almost there.

2008 Military Iron

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 03:15:10 pm
Br. Scoot, you do good work... the new Military you've cooked up is even cooler than the original model... very, very, very cool...  8)

Thanks, Juan! This little bike HAS grown on me a LOT since I've been doing so much to it ..... I actually like the shape of it a little better than the Iron Barrel! It appears to be a little more "organic" than the original Bullet ..... Accessorising the bike has been a big part of the fun - the possibilities are seemingly endless on this "blank slate". You know a REAL military bike would take on a personality all it's own as it was ridden and used by the man in the field. I hang bags and stuff of every kind on MINE .... I've considered removing a pannier and putting a 20-litre fuel can on side .... and adding a rifle scabbard to it. Hahaha!! The possibilities for the end user to customise THIS Enfield are unlimited .... I MAY go nuts and dig in my surplus gear and do a "ratted out, hang one of everything I own on it and see what it looks like" thing on the G5 .... If I'm happy with it - I'll post it! 

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:47 pm
The paint sheen seems about right, not to shiny/ flash, and the whole bike looks "authoritative" like it's going to do battle.  I would like to see what the original Indian military version looked like. Anyone have a photo?  I think some thought could go into the side panniers to make them even more military than the ones on the older R Es.  I have a vision in mind, just can't put it down in a post - if I see something that suits I'll bring it up.

You did great, however, in toning down the shine of the paint job - I like the duller finish a lot.  In my opinion, the G-5 bikes have it over the C-5 in that they represent a true progression rather than a reversion.  By using the Electra side cases to cover, I suppose, some of the EFI, they have avoided the pod like round cover on the C-5.  It looks like what it is, a new bike design with a British heritage.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 02:45:24 am
James - Did you do the Photoshop? it looks great. Guess the rattle can of Olive Drab may be a good idea.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 02:55:28 am
I like the pod like round cover ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 04:47:54 am
quote from r80rt "I like the pod like cover" ;D

And I'm sure most do, and most seem to prefer the C-5 over the G-5, all of which seems to lend support to my having the better taste in bikes. ;D
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 12:06:40 pm
HA!  ;D My problem is I like all of them very much. I've searched for a practical classic for years, and I believe RE has built one in the C5. Oval pods Rule!
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:37 pm
That cover is one of the coolest styling cues (to use a phrase the designer used) on the bike. It is one of my favorite visual features of the C-5. It also does a great job of hiding some of the EFI looking stuff.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:28 pm
But to base the military on the c-5 gives you a rugged looking bike WITHOUT a kickstarter. That's just wrong.
But then, I always thought the Jeep Wrangler with an automatic was wrong too. :-\
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 02:16:08 pm
But then, I always thought the Jeep Wrangler with an automatic was wrong too. :-\

Funny you should mention that, I'm actually looking for one that I can afford. Not a fan of driving automatic automobiles, as weird as that might sound. And I love Wranglers. Wish I could just find a cheap used one.

2008 Military Iron

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 02:16:35 pm
This is what I'm going to model my Military Combo on.
Ho! Ho! Ha! Ha!
 ;D ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:21:50 pm by Marrtyn »

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 02:46:04 pm
Kevin, yup did it quickly to see what a difference it would make, usually it'd be full resolution and more seamless but I figured that was too much like work :P

I think the Electra fame is too modern looking, I agree with the sentiment that the C5 would maybe make the best Military.

I was going to buy a CJ750 sidecar outfit before seeing the C5. I decided to go with something more reliable *cough*. I'd still love to get a military bike going, perhaps with a leather samurai sword holster for the front forks instead of a shotgun holster though :P Would be more practical.

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #62 on: June 07, 2009, 05:47:11 am
Funny you should mention that, I'm actually looking for one that I can afford. Not a fan of driving automatic automobiles, as weird as that might sound. And I love Wranglers. Wish I could just find a cheap used one.

There's no such thing as a cheap wrangler. Especially if you use it as intended. I've had some of the greatest times of my life in mine but spend more time working on it than driving it. And I don't mean in the "let's tinker" kind of way, more so the "Why is the back seat on fire? And why is my new clutch burned up already?" kinds of ways.

I'll add onto the Jeep fire experience another day. ;)
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: June 07, 2009, 01:55:12 pm
My old CJ5 had a dash fire right after I put second gear back in the tranny, good times.
Iron Butt Association

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: June 07, 2009, 02:10:56 pm
My 2003 Wrangler has 133,000 miles on it. Doesn't use a drop of oil, original clutch, I-6 gets close to 20 mpg, one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned.

If you wan't a Jeep, get a later Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee). My '99 was given to my daughter. The mileage is at 156,000 so far, and it will go anywhere a Wrangler will go. Cheap to buy, and probably the best SUV ever built.

REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Indiana Josh

• IndianaJosh.com
  • Bulleteer
Reply #65 on: June 07, 2009, 08:00:44 pm
I actually have a Grand Cherokee and it's a good vehicle aside from an elusive battery drain that I can't figure out.  I really like the look and feel of the Wranglers, though, which is why I want one so bad. I got my '92 Grand Cherokee for $1400, but can't find a Wrangler of any year for under $5000.

Of course, if I could get my hands on a Jeep Wagoneer with the wood paneling on the side, I'd be a happy man as well. I love that wood paneling. But then, my girlfriend's grandfather has a 1947 Willys Jeep CJ-2A fully restored in beautiful condition that's just been sitting unused in a hangar on his property for years. I'd love to try and "wrangle" that out of his possession. Maybe it could be a wedding present in the future :)

2008 Military Iron