Author Topic: Washing G5  (Read 4010 times)

BRGreen

• Scooter
on: May 21, 2009, 02:58:19 am
Just bought a G5 and read the manual. It seems that you cannot get anything wet but the paint. Anyone experience problems when spraying the bike with water before and after washing?

Dave
Lakewood, OH
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:04:49 am
Use common sense when washing a bike. Don;t spray directly where you don't want water to go. but the bike darn sure better pass a rain storm test.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:26:03 am
Phil is right. The new EFI system uses some of the best waterproof connectors on the market, but why would you wash them with a power hose? Washing the bike like normal is OK, just use common sense.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

kaarigar

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:31:56 am
How does this bike do in the rain? Should one avoid heavy downpour? Just asking, I don't own one yet.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:32:44 am
No, just ride it like you stole it. It is fine in the rain.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

thesodapopkid

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:47:24 am
Thanks for clearing that up sir. This thread kinda had me worried.

Corbin

• Dare To Be You!
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:09 pm
There is no such thing as dry miles in Eire and suffice it to say, as much as I wanted to avoid rain, it just hasn't beenn possible.  My C5 has been caught in several downpours coming to and from work, even on one occassion from the dealer.  Never once gave me a problem and I was worried as you know many of the parts are just openly exposed.  The bike is like a tank, takes a licking and keeps on rolling.

Some people use pressure hoses from your do it yourself car washes.... avoid doing this, particular those of you with tubless tires.  Very dangerous.  As the lads said, use common sense, you'll be grand.  When in doubt, wash by hand and only use a low powered hose for the bits of the frame that are clear of any important electric bits.

Hope this helps.
Ride: 2009 Black Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI
Name: Betty-Ann

kaarigar

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:19:33 am
There is no such thing as dry miles in Eire and suffice it to say, as much as I wanted to avoid rain, it just hasn't beenn possible.  My C5 has been caught in several downpours coming to and from work, even on one occassion from the dealer.  Never once gave me a problem and I was worried as you know many of the parts are just openly exposed.  The bike is like a tank, takes a licking and keeps on rolling.

Some people use pressure hoses from your do it yourself car washes.... avoid doing this, particular those of you with tubless tires.  Very dangerous.  As the lads said, use common sense, you'll be grand.  When in doubt, wash by hand and only use a low powered hose for the bits of the frame that are clear of any important electric bits.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Corbin.

Kaarigar
==============