Author Topic: Lowering the rear suspension  (Read 7769 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: May 19, 2009, 05:14:25 pm
I am about a half-inch from flat foot.  New boots might do it, but I'd like to lower the rear suspension a notch or two.  Looked for a thread on this.  What is the trick/tool needed to rotate that collar on the rear shock?  Any reservations?

Thanks,
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:42:21 pm
You can use a special shock tool (a simple wrench with an arc to fit around the shock and a nub to fit in one of the many slots) if you have one. You can always use channel lock pliers though.

Just remember though, this is a spring preload adjustment. The lower it's adjusted the softer the (spring) preload will be. That means a softer ride most of the time but not as sure or responsive as a sporting setup.

Matt

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:43:08 pm
I rotated mine down to the lowest notch just by rubbing the dust off and twisting them (one bump at a time) by hand.  No problems with the shocks bottoming out - I've never had a passenger and I go about 150lbs soaking wet...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:06:08 pm
I don' t think twisting the shock to its softest postion will lower it much( if at all ) but it is a start, I would do it for the ride.
Its all about balance, maybe learning to tip toe will be fine.

I have had a passenger and I wish I had more travel on the shocks, but we are a little heavy.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:33:33 pm
Try a lower seat ::)
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:42:22 pm
Great info- Thanks.  It seems like it is for stiffness mostly, as opposed to height adjustment.  I'm 5'8" with a pretty short inseam- I want to be flat so I can confidently push the bike backwards, especially if there is any kind of grade.  I think boots will do it but I wanted to see if a notch or two would also help.

I do want to try and find a classic style seat like on the old Continental GT.  I think it is a pretty flat saddle.

Thanks again.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:30:39 pm
     With the pre-load turned to soft the bike will sag more when you sit on it. This will put you a little closer to the ground.
     HOWEVER, if you are doing this to make it easier to push the bike while straddling it, I have another suggestion. Pushing while sitting on the bike is awkward and you can't apply your full strength. It is also hard to balance. When you push hard your foot will lose traction and you will slip and fall.Try this:
Get off the bike. Face forward and hold the handle bar with both hands. Squat slightly. Lean the bike into your hip. Now you can use the full power of your legs to push the bike forward or back as you steer with your arms. The tripod stance of the 2 wheels and your legs is very stable. Virtually no upper body strength is needed to balance the bike. You can easily compensate for any uneven terrain. 
     Push in this manner and you won't have to make any changes to the bike. Pushing will be more secure and safer.

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:37:49 am
To change my rear shock settings I use a 3 or 4 inch bolt stuck in the little hole as a lever.  Makes it pretty easy.  I think 5/16 is the size that fits best.

Good Luck,
Jerry

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:45:56 am
Br. Boggy, a solo seat was the best approach for me.  I used to be 5'9" (on a good day) when I was younger with a 30" inseam.  I can place both feet flat on the ground without much of a bend of the knees with the stock dual seat.  The solo seat, however, allows for a real bend of the knees and for firmly planted boots on the ground.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:26:59 pm
Br. Boggy, also pillion weight helps  to to lower the ride.About 110 -135 lbs over the rear shocks should be about right  ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:03:31 pm
Vince: It's like those trust falls you would do at camp or a company outings except I never felt bad about letting one of my friends or co-workers hit the ground.  This has REAL WORLD consequences :)

REpozer: I'll be sure to relay the preferred pillion weight to my passenger.  Right before I lose all riding privileges.  :o  YOWZAS!

Speaking of new saddles... I'd love one that looked just like this:
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-1966.jpg

(as well as the tank... and the bars... and the yoke... fine, I'll just take the whole dang thing).  Anyone know where I could find something like this?

Boggy 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:15:08 pm
      Boggy, that is why I recommend this pushing procedure. I have only had a couple of people lose the bike while pushing the way I suggested. They were able to control the drop into a soft landing. I have seen the results of pushing while astraddle. The falls are numerous, quick and surprisingly destructive to both man and machine. I know it is a new technique to you and in your mind it doesn't "feel" as secure to you. Watch some motorcycle racing. This is how the pit crew does it.  Try it in your garage or driveway with someone on the other side to spot you. You'll see how easy it is.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 10:33:03 pm
Oh you bet... I'll definitely try it.  I've pushed bikes before, but by trying to balance them... or sometimes having a second person there.  The technique you described sounds great and it makes sense.  I'm just a nervous-nelly with my new ride.  I think it can smell fear.

Thanks for the good info.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:21 pm
     Do or do not....There is no try. Use the force!

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 05:45:25 pm
I used to paddle bikes around. No longer. Vince's technique is the way to go.

Before I cleaned out the garage, I parked the bike under the deck. I had enough clearance that I could sit on the bike, paddle it out from under the cover and start it in the yard. One day I changed my routine and put my helmet on before getting on the bike...there was insufficient clearance...

I hit my helmeted head on the underside of the deck, lost my balance, fell over onto the lawn tractor mower and I was trapped between them. Oh Yeah. The neighbor was watching.

So, it wasn't an enfield; a nice light bike. Oh no. It was the Beemer LT. The resulting damage to the saddle bag, driving light, mirror, fairing, and lawn tractor were nothing compared to my damaged macho...
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 08:51:50 pm
The tank you can tget by painting the aluminium cafe racer tank from this company.  Aftermarket superbike bars (turned upside down) are about $20 from Tucker rocky.  The seat... any upholstery shop should be able to re-configure your seat.  I do think the contenetal seat offered here might be lower, though not not passengers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:55:25 pm by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung