Author Topic: Uses for Ovum Cases  (Read 3777 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: October 05, 2007, 03:54:10 pm
Regarding the ovum cases on our Electra X's, the question arose over on the Hitchcock's site: "WHAT are they, BTW?"

Here are some possible uses of and purposes for them:

- one covers the OEM tool kit, the other is a facade and does nothing (welded in place!)

- they are an integral part of that "Classic 70's Styling"

- As mentioned, they could be used to store sausages

- They can be converted into auxilliary gas pods

- They can be used to store the make-up kits of the fairer customer base

- In the event of an emergency they can be used as bowls for water, cereal or fried rice

- With a little paint (and imagination), they can be made to represent the very Bullet that is their namesake

- They can store our fold-up canes when we become blind from the sheer ugliness

- They are the vestige remains of the Electra X's insectile ancestry?

- They are the vestige remains of the Electra X's extraterrestrial ancestry??

- Like Sneetches with Belly Stars, these separate us (special people) from the common Classics (people)

There are probably additional purposes for their being, but I really should do some work today.

Matt

LJRead

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:40:19 am
Say Matt - I had been wondering what was in those ovum cases, so now you've answered the question for me.  I have photos of the Thunderbird that is being shipped to me, and, of course on it they are chrome, so even less subtle than the painted covers.  If I'm not mistaken, the Machismo uses the same frame as the t-bird and your bike, but has covers more in keeping with the Classics,  because the Machismo is sold as a retro appearing bike.  For your sake, what I'm wondering is whether the Machismo side covers are different that those of the Classic and perhaps, if they are, could replace the ovum and side cover/air filter box, battery box, or whatever is on your bike.  It could possibly just bolt into place, but there could be different mounting tabs.  Do you get what I'm driving at and, if so, what do you think?  Maybe you could order in some Machismo side covers and whatever it is they are lids to.

It seems to me that whoever thought up the idea of the ovum cases was thinking that they would appear as leg guards for the pillion passenger.  I have seen such things on high exhaust pipes...You aren't going to quit until you get rid of them is my thinking; you want to go to a more Classic look - right?  Can't blame you for that.. good luck, Larry

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:34:45 pm
LJRead,

Yes, I definitely prefer the Classic look. If Machismo parts can be adapted to the Electra in order to make it more Classic-like that would be great.

I could probably refine the look of my bike to what I want at a fairly low cost. Problem is, I'm not sure of exactly what 'llok' to go for. Also, like most of us I have too little time! At this point I'd have to mock the bike up to see how it looked before hacksawing and/or welding. One good example is the massive frame rail over the rear fender. It's butt-ugly and I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do with it...

Matt

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:19:59 pm
Seams like it would be simple enough to replace the rear contraption with one made from shaped tubing, or get rid of it and use fender stays.

LJRead

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 04:05:16 am
As an addendum to what I said above, I think, having looked at photos, that the Machismo and Classic side covers are the same.

Also, I believe the ovum cases were made for the passenger to brace his or (hopefully) her legs against, sort of like knee pads on a tank.