Author Topic: Centerstand Blues -or- Touchy Rear Tire  (Read 3925 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: October 05, 2007, 02:32:51 pm
After 2500 miles of use, my centerstand no longer holds the rear tire off the ground.

I have to place a piece of wood under it (the CS) to raise the rear end high enough so that the tire can spin.

Anyone else have this problem?

The only permanent solution I can see is to have some welding done to shore-up where the CS contacts the frame.

Ideas?

Matt

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:42:55 pm
Mine never has. I always have to put something underneeth in order to use the rear wheel to find TDC.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 12:47:16 am
I have timed God knows how many Bullets and we always put a piece of wood under the sidestand to get the wheel to turn freely.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 01:49:21 am
My Sixty-5 centerstand raises the rear wheel at least an inch off the ground.  If a centerstand starts to settle, it would seem the CS frame mounts are deforming for some reason.  Don't let anybody sit on the bike while on the CS.

As far as needing a free rear wheel for engine timing - I use the same method I used 45 years ago.  I engage the kick start lever pawl by hand operation.  Then I use a RUBBER mallet and gently tap the kickstart lever downward in tiny increments.  With the spark plug out and using a plunger gauge there is little compression overthrow. 

This can be done out in the middle of nowhere just using a piece of welding rod stuck down the spark plug opening and using a shoe as a KS lever tapper.  Close enough to get one home - after being a good show for bystanders!  Used to carry a marked piece of welding rod in the old days, but now I carry the nifty little plunger gauge in the tool kit.

Regards, Foggy

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:01:11 am
My centerstand also raises the rear wheel about an inch off the ground.  Never had any problem otherwise.  I also go out in the garage on real rainy days and just sit on the bike, mostly when I'm on the phone;  it's a pretty stout centerstand.  (I'm a stout guy).