Author Topic: My C5 is in the shop already :(  (Read 26303 times)

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:36:18 am
The good part is that you are under warranty at a time when dealers have got to be a little extra sensitive about the new kid on the block.

The question is whether this is a design fault or a quality control issue, and the other question is whether, from a repair standpoint it is good to have the transmission in the engine crank case in the first place as far as repairability goes.  Ihave asked this question before, but noone is likely to have the answer for some time to come.

We are all pulling for you, I am sure. 
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:07:53 am
thanks everyone.

Trying to stay positive, after all it's just a bike, but it's become my baby so it's a bit disheartening. Hopefully I'll get some good news tomorrow.

Thats the right attitude James (I'm sure its very frustrating but you have to put these things in perspective) - keep yer pecker up & hopefully you will get some news through Watsonian today
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:02:21 pm
So far I'm far far from impressed with RE on this.

I called WS this morning because I hadn't heard anything. I called and again no one really seemed to know what was happening. I spoke to someone, who didn't seem very interested, explained that they want my bike up there but that it's my only transport, Im losing work and need something in the meantime.

So I waited all day, no word. Tonight I saw John from Torre. He said the bikes still sitting in their shop, they've heard nothing of WS sending a truck down.

He suggested calling GV in Taunton where I bought it and having them chase it up further, Im starting to wish I had bought a Triumph or something now. I never expected my bike to be fixed tomorrow but at least some communication and a fast response in getting this resolved.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 08:25:42 pm
James - really sorry to hear Watsonian are not assisting you - even if they can't offer immediate solutions you should expect good communications & explanations on whats going on & how they intend to resolve it. You certainly wouldn't get this service over in the States - especially with Kevin running the show.

I have the readies in my bank & was looking to put my order in this weekend for a C5 - I'm going to hold off & see what happens now (sorry you are the ginea pig) - if you don't get satisfactory service I'll look for an alternative bike for this year (have booked a test ride of a Guzzi classic this weekend or may get an older Enfield & save me some money)

Hope you are sorted soon
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:27:49 pm by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:29 am
The transmission on the UCE is very similar to the 5 speed box on later Bullets....except sideways. Many common parts. They key part is a shifter cam plate which causes the bike to shift. Much like a mid 1970's Triumph. Over the years we have had a couple that needed replacing, but I am only speculating about what is wrong with your bike. Watsonian getting involved will turn out to be a good thing for you. One of the owners (an old guy like me), is one of the most technically astute Enfield people that I know. We, he and the factory are keeping a very close eye on each and every one of these UCE's which I am sure is why they want to involve themselves. The transmission itself is very simple but I suspect they want to take a look at your issue from an engineering point of view. A lot of these transmissions have been sold in India as part of the "Twin Spark" which is a 350 UCE with a carburetor so they are a proven unit. Whenever a design goes from the drawing board to production there can always be unintended issues.
  I would be shocked to see the warranty go backwards from two years to one. Once you throw two years out there you can hardly take it back .
  I can tell you the factory has a team on standby to react to anything that comes up. One of our dealers discovered a very simple fix to a potential small problem that hasn't arisen but could. The factory made the  engineering change and put it into production within a week. This speed is absolutely unheard of at Enfield or anywhere else for that matter. I would think that as a buyer of an early model you will get lots of attention. Every last comment from customers and US dealers has been presented and gone over with the engineers at the factory. In fact while I was there a week or two ago, they shut down the entire factory so that every employee could study the comments made from this side of the pond.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 08:39:29 am
Well I got hold of Geoff at GV Bikes and he got onto WS for me. I got a call from Mike at WS an hour later.

He assured me that my bike would be returned in perfect condition and I'd be getting an Elektra demo to use in the meantime (hope its a deluxe!).

Unfortunately it won't be until someone at Torre has the time to take the bike up there, Tuesday it looks like, which will have been over a week since it went in, I would have been happier if WS had sent for it the day or two after to collect it instead of waiting for Torre to have the time to bring it up. As well as losing money from not having transport I'll also miss a charity ride this Sunday, which sucks.. but I guess will get there in the end.
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 08:23:57 pm
Sounds like you will be getting a better bike than the one you originally bought in that it will be gone over and carefully fine tuned. Hopefully for you it will be worth the inconvenience of it all.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:39 pm
My C5 is finally in the hands of Watsonian Squire and an Electra should be waiting for me at Torre tomorrow to use while mine is being worked on.

Let's hope now we start getting somewhere! We finally started getting some decent weather the past week and I've been bikeless, nightmare!

James

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 11:32:30 pm
Thanks for the update, Br. James... we'll continue to keep our fingers crossed for you from this side of the Atlantic!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 10:38:14 am
Well my C5 is fixed, but I've still not got it.

Apparently some component or other in the gearbox was not put in when the bike was constructed, the gears then were slowly moving out of alignment until they went altogether.

Im not very technical on this stuff but apparently it was replaced and no other damage was done. But now I'm still waiting for them to get the bike to me, I even offered to ride halfway to get it but still waiting on word as to whats happening..

Losing my patience to be honest, been almost a month and I was only riding 3 weeks or so prior to it failing, hope this gets resolved soon and I can get my bike back.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 12:08:27 pm
I'm glad to know it wasn't a design flaw, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long to find out.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:14 pm
I'm glad to know it wasn't a design flaw, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long to find out.

Well I didn't expect a design flaw the testing they have undergone - I guess something in the build & QC stage was omited  ???
Cheers
Nick

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:39 pm
WOW!  Leaving out a critical transmisson part. With all the attention to this model, I'd hope for better QC than that.  Almost sounds like Russian manufacturing!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 10:36:58 pm
WOW!  Leaving out a critical transmisson part. With all the attention to this model, I'd hope for better QC than that.  Almost sounds like Russian manufacturing!

I know what you mean about Russian Mfg but on the flip side my last Dodge van had a 3 speed 727 automatic trans in it.
After putting 3 different valve body's and replacing every part but the housing they ended up replacing the whole trans.
At the time I had that they had been making that trans in 1 form or another for at least 25 years. You'd think they would have bugs worked out of that by then.
At that time I was making my living out of that van so for the 3 or more weeks it was in the dealer I wasn't working.
Sometimes things just happen, especially when you inject humans into the equation.
I think that REM was just pushed to the limit to fill the demand for these bikes and things should settle down in time.

OTOH my G5 just rolled over 1,000 miles last weekend so it's not all of em that are having problems.
3 weeks from today it's going to have at least 2,300 miles on it so if there are any "bugs" in it I should bring em to the surface by then.
My confidence ratio is high though.

Good Luck with your C5.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

talltenor

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 01:07:25 am
James:

I so hope things work out for you quickly!  The moors down there in Devon are missing you, as I'm sure you're missing them!

Bill