Author Topic: My C5 is in the shop already :(  (Read 26281 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:46 pm
Hey all

Well, I have been riding my RE much more the past week, and I was planning on posting an update as I've been having a blast. She's still only at 300 miles, so early in the break in, so if anything I've been riding over cautiously, not revving high, think the fastest speed I've hit is 45mph etc.

Well, today I was in a parking lot looking for a space, slowly cruising in 1st looking for a spot when the bike started lurching and then stalled. The clutch handle became very loose, the gear lever was basically stuck, and the bike wouldn't free-roll. Engine light was on.

I was in the middle of the road, so had to wheel to a space, but the bike didn't want to move. I was able to move it into a space very slowly, a couple of wheel rotations at a time, and put it on the side stand.

Once there, I took a look. The clutch was loose from the biting point up, but tight below, it was still connected though so not undone or snapped. The gear lever as I said before, wasn't budging, and now the electrics weren't working at all. Ie no lights, no indicator bulbs etc.

My girlfriend rode on to Torre cycles down the street (luckily) and they came by in the van, by that time (about an hour after it died), the bike was more responsive, switching out of gear and the electrics coming on.

Once at Torre the mechanic had a brief look, he said it seemed more major than a simple clutch cable malfunction, the words seriously wrong came up but who knows at this point. I've left her in their capable hands but I'm gutted my new baby is in the shop already :(

Will keep you all up to date when I hear anything.

James
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:55:59 pm
Warrantees are nice things. You'll come out of it all right.

Let's hope it's not too serious.
Sounds like your dealer is a good one.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:57:48 pm
Br. James, I urge you to relax until you get the final diagnosis for what ails your baby.  Lastly, I remind you that our biggets fears do not typically come to pass!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:59:20 pm
James – sorry to hear about your troubles & hope it isn’t anything too serious. You sound like you have been really nurturing the bike so it won’t be anything you’ve done – sometimes these things just happen.

I guess you were lucky in one respect – I’m guessing you broke down in Torquay where the RE dealer is situated!

Keep us posted
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:26:44 pm
Yup luckily! We were going to drop by for a visit but they were on lunch so went on to the shops a mile away when it happened, so very glad it wasn't on the Moores or anything.
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

Corbin

• Dare To Be You!
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:29:58 pm
 :( Wow, sorry to hear about your bike trouble.  I am sure it will be fine.  Hang in there and keep us posted.

Ride: 2009 Black Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI
Name: Betty-Ann

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:10 pm
I hope it's an easy quick fix, no fun at all to have a new bike in the shop.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:23:24 am
Like I've posted before James, the first lot of you are in some ways the fish in the fishbowl. I am sure when all is sorted with these new models the warranty will revert back to one year (lets hope not). Will hope fore the best for you (quick fix), but in case of the worst we will see first hand how your dealership deals with these problems. They seem to be on the ball from what you have passed on to us. Good luck with your ride, and please keep us updated.

Blltrdr

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:02:48 pm
Well I just got a call from Torre. Not looking good. The gear box seems quite messed up, and it's not going into 4th at all now (always seemed to be odd going 3-4).

Also because it's the new kid on the bloke, RE want my bike brought back to them to check it out, so they're sending a truck to get it.

I just called them directly, to see whats going on and ask if I can get something from them to ride in the meantime as it's my only means of transport but they're going to get back to me.

James

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:06:23 pm
James,
Sounds like this could work fine for you in the long run.
They will not doubt make sure your C5 is in top shape before you get her back.
Other then missing out on good riding season.
2008 Electra ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:12:11 pm
James - thanks for the update.

Lets hope Watsonian Squire are prepared to provide you with a courtesy bike while they investigate. I think you purchased one of the bikes from the first shipment (of about 35 in black). There was a posting on the enfield yahoo groups with a lady having problems but not sure if C5 or Electra

I'm pretty sure I read that it's the same transmission & clutch they used in the previous electra.

Cheers
Nick

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:02 pm
Sorry to hear that James but I do think you'll get support from Watsonian.

I'm at 250 miles with a less than perfect 3/4 gearchange, do I carry on riding? I think so, until they reach a definitive conclusion all I can do is maintain it properly and see what happens.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:27:56 pm
Br. James, I suggest you think positively about WS getting your tranny sorted out and providing you with a loaner!  I will send you nothing but the most positive vibes from across the pond!  Lots of cheer and not one solitary tear!   :)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:28 pm
thanks everyone.

Trying to stay positive, after all it's just a bike, but it's become my baby so it's a bit disheartening. Hopefully I'll get some good news tomorrow.

Rusty, I'd let your local dealer know of the 3/4 just as a heads up. Mine was never right, I just thought it was a quirk that it didn't want to change gear sometimes but maybe not eh. Just glad it happened while I was going 1mph in a car park and not at speed.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:56 am
Hang in there James, I'm sure you'll be happy with the bike when you get it back.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association