Author Topic: My C5 is in the shop already :(  (Read 26343 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:46 pm
Hey all

Well, I have been riding my RE much more the past week, and I was planning on posting an update as I've been having a blast. She's still only at 300 miles, so early in the break in, so if anything I've been riding over cautiously, not revving high, think the fastest speed I've hit is 45mph etc.

Well, today I was in a parking lot looking for a space, slowly cruising in 1st looking for a spot when the bike started lurching and then stalled. The clutch handle became very loose, the gear lever was basically stuck, and the bike wouldn't free-roll. Engine light was on.

I was in the middle of the road, so had to wheel to a space, but the bike didn't want to move. I was able to move it into a space very slowly, a couple of wheel rotations at a time, and put it on the side stand.

Once there, I took a look. The clutch was loose from the biting point up, but tight below, it was still connected though so not undone or snapped. The gear lever as I said before, wasn't budging, and now the electrics weren't working at all. Ie no lights, no indicator bulbs etc.

My girlfriend rode on to Torre cycles down the street (luckily) and they came by in the van, by that time (about an hour after it died), the bike was more responsive, switching out of gear and the electrics coming on.

Once at Torre the mechanic had a brief look, he said it seemed more major than a simple clutch cable malfunction, the words seriously wrong came up but who knows at this point. I've left her in their capable hands but I'm gutted my new baby is in the shop already :(

Will keep you all up to date when I hear anything.

James
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:55:59 pm
Warrantees are nice things. You'll come out of it all right.

Let's hope it's not too serious.
Sounds like your dealer is a good one.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:57:48 pm
Br. James, I urge you to relax until you get the final diagnosis for what ails your baby.  Lastly, I remind you that our biggets fears do not typically come to pass!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:59:20 pm
James – sorry to hear about your troubles & hope it isn’t anything too serious. You sound like you have been really nurturing the bike so it won’t be anything you’ve done – sometimes these things just happen.

I guess you were lucky in one respect – I’m guessing you broke down in Torquay where the RE dealer is situated!

Keep us posted
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:26:44 pm
Yup luckily! We were going to drop by for a visit but they were on lunch so went on to the shops a mile away when it happened, so very glad it wasn't on the Moores or anything.
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

Corbin

• Dare To Be You!
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:29:58 pm
 :( Wow, sorry to hear about your bike trouble.  I am sure it will be fine.  Hang in there and keep us posted.

Ride: 2009 Black Royal Enfield Bullet Classic EFI
Name: Betty-Ann

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:10 pm
I hope it's an easy quick fix, no fun at all to have a new bike in the shop.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:23:24 am
Like I've posted before James, the first lot of you are in some ways the fish in the fishbowl. I am sure when all is sorted with these new models the warranty will revert back to one year (lets hope not). Will hope fore the best for you (quick fix), but in case of the worst we will see first hand how your dealership deals with these problems. They seem to be on the ball from what you have passed on to us. Good luck with your ride, and please keep us updated.

Blltrdr

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:02:48 pm
Well I just got a call from Torre. Not looking good. The gear box seems quite messed up, and it's not going into 4th at all now (always seemed to be odd going 3-4).

Also because it's the new kid on the bloke, RE want my bike brought back to them to check it out, so they're sending a truck to get it.

I just called them directly, to see whats going on and ask if I can get something from them to ride in the meantime as it's my only means of transport but they're going to get back to me.

James

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:06:23 pm
James,
Sounds like this could work fine for you in the long run.
They will not doubt make sure your C5 is in top shape before you get her back.
Other then missing out on good riding season.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:12:11 pm
James - thanks for the update.

Lets hope Watsonian Squire are prepared to provide you with a courtesy bike while they investigate. I think you purchased one of the bikes from the first shipment (of about 35 in black). There was a posting on the enfield yahoo groups with a lady having problems but not sure if C5 or Electra

I'm pretty sure I read that it's the same transmission & clutch they used in the previous electra.

Cheers
Nick

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:02 pm
Sorry to hear that James but I do think you'll get support from Watsonian.

I'm at 250 miles with a less than perfect 3/4 gearchange, do I carry on riding? I think so, until they reach a definitive conclusion all I can do is maintain it properly and see what happens.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:27:56 pm
Br. James, I suggest you think positively about WS getting your tranny sorted out and providing you with a loaner!  I will send you nothing but the most positive vibes from across the pond!  Lots of cheer and not one solitary tear!   :)

Papa Juan

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:28 pm
thanks everyone.

Trying to stay positive, after all it's just a bike, but it's become my baby so it's a bit disheartening. Hopefully I'll get some good news tomorrow.

Rusty, I'd let your local dealer know of the 3/4 just as a heads up. Mine was never right, I just thought it was a quirk that it didn't want to change gear sometimes but maybe not eh. Just glad it happened while I was going 1mph in a car park and not at speed.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:56 am
Hang in there James, I'm sure you'll be happy with the bike when you get it back.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:36:18 am
The good part is that you are under warranty at a time when dealers have got to be a little extra sensitive about the new kid on the block.

The question is whether this is a design fault or a quality control issue, and the other question is whether, from a repair standpoint it is good to have the transmission in the engine crank case in the first place as far as repairability goes.  Ihave asked this question before, but noone is likely to have the answer for some time to come.

We are all pulling for you, I am sure. 
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:07:53 am
thanks everyone.

Trying to stay positive, after all it's just a bike, but it's become my baby so it's a bit disheartening. Hopefully I'll get some good news tomorrow.

Thats the right attitude James (I'm sure its very frustrating but you have to put these things in perspective) - keep yer pecker up & hopefully you will get some news through Watsonian today
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:02:21 pm
So far I'm far far from impressed with RE on this.

I called WS this morning because I hadn't heard anything. I called and again no one really seemed to know what was happening. I spoke to someone, who didn't seem very interested, explained that they want my bike up there but that it's my only transport, Im losing work and need something in the meantime.

So I waited all day, no word. Tonight I saw John from Torre. He said the bikes still sitting in their shop, they've heard nothing of WS sending a truck down.

He suggested calling GV in Taunton where I bought it and having them chase it up further, Im starting to wish I had bought a Triumph or something now. I never expected my bike to be fixed tomorrow but at least some communication and a fast response in getting this resolved.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 08:25:42 pm
James - really sorry to hear Watsonian are not assisting you - even if they can't offer immediate solutions you should expect good communications & explanations on whats going on & how they intend to resolve it. You certainly wouldn't get this service over in the States - especially with Kevin running the show.

I have the readies in my bank & was looking to put my order in this weekend for a C5 - I'm going to hold off & see what happens now (sorry you are the ginea pig) - if you don't get satisfactory service I'll look for an alternative bike for this year (have booked a test ride of a Guzzi classic this weekend or may get an older Enfield & save me some money)

Hope you are sorted soon
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:27:49 pm by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:29 am
The transmission on the UCE is very similar to the 5 speed box on later Bullets....except sideways. Many common parts. They key part is a shifter cam plate which causes the bike to shift. Much like a mid 1970's Triumph. Over the years we have had a couple that needed replacing, but I am only speculating about what is wrong with your bike. Watsonian getting involved will turn out to be a good thing for you. One of the owners (an old guy like me), is one of the most technically astute Enfield people that I know. We, he and the factory are keeping a very close eye on each and every one of these UCE's which I am sure is why they want to involve themselves. The transmission itself is very simple but I suspect they want to take a look at your issue from an engineering point of view. A lot of these transmissions have been sold in India as part of the "Twin Spark" which is a 350 UCE with a carburetor so they are a proven unit. Whenever a design goes from the drawing board to production there can always be unintended issues.
  I would be shocked to see the warranty go backwards from two years to one. Once you throw two years out there you can hardly take it back .
  I can tell you the factory has a team on standby to react to anything that comes up. One of our dealers discovered a very simple fix to a potential small problem that hasn't arisen but could. The factory made the  engineering change and put it into production within a week. This speed is absolutely unheard of at Enfield or anywhere else for that matter. I would think that as a buyer of an early model you will get lots of attention. Every last comment from customers and US dealers has been presented and gone over with the engineers at the factory. In fact while I was there a week or two ago, they shut down the entire factory so that every employee could study the comments made from this side of the pond.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 08:39:29 am
Well I got hold of Geoff at GV Bikes and he got onto WS for me. I got a call from Mike at WS an hour later.

He assured me that my bike would be returned in perfect condition and I'd be getting an Elektra demo to use in the meantime (hope its a deluxe!).

Unfortunately it won't be until someone at Torre has the time to take the bike up there, Tuesday it looks like, which will have been over a week since it went in, I would have been happier if WS had sent for it the day or two after to collect it instead of waiting for Torre to have the time to bring it up. As well as losing money from not having transport I'll also miss a charity ride this Sunday, which sucks.. but I guess will get there in the end.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 08:23:57 pm
Sounds like you will be getting a better bike than the one you originally bought in that it will be gone over and carefully fine tuned. Hopefully for you it will be worth the inconvenience of it all.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:39 pm
My C5 is finally in the hands of Watsonian Squire and an Electra should be waiting for me at Torre tomorrow to use while mine is being worked on.

Let's hope now we start getting somewhere! We finally started getting some decent weather the past week and I've been bikeless, nightmare!

James

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 11:32:30 pm
Thanks for the update, Br. James... we'll continue to keep our fingers crossed for you from this side of the Atlantic!

Papa Juan

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 10:38:14 am
Well my C5 is fixed, but I've still not got it.

Apparently some component or other in the gearbox was not put in when the bike was constructed, the gears then were slowly moving out of alignment until they went altogether.

Im not very technical on this stuff but apparently it was replaced and no other damage was done. But now I'm still waiting for them to get the bike to me, I even offered to ride halfway to get it but still waiting on word as to whats happening..

Losing my patience to be honest, been almost a month and I was only riding 3 weeks or so prior to it failing, hope this gets resolved soon and I can get my bike back.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 12:08:27 pm
I'm glad to know it wasn't a design flaw, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long to find out.
Iron Butt Association

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:14 pm
I'm glad to know it wasn't a design flaw, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long to find out.

Well I didn't expect a design flaw the testing they have undergone - I guess something in the build & QC stage was omited  ???
Cheers
Nick

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:39 pm
WOW!  Leaving out a critical transmisson part. With all the attention to this model, I'd hope for better QC than that.  Almost sounds like Russian manufacturing!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 10:36:58 pm
WOW!  Leaving out a critical transmisson part. With all the attention to this model, I'd hope for better QC than that.  Almost sounds like Russian manufacturing!

I know what you mean about Russian Mfg but on the flip side my last Dodge van had a 3 speed 727 automatic trans in it.
After putting 3 different valve body's and replacing every part but the housing they ended up replacing the whole trans.
At the time I had that they had been making that trans in 1 form or another for at least 25 years. You'd think they would have bugs worked out of that by then.
At that time I was making my living out of that van so for the 3 or more weeks it was in the dealer I wasn't working.
Sometimes things just happen, especially when you inject humans into the equation.
I think that REM was just pushed to the limit to fill the demand for these bikes and things should settle down in time.

OTOH my G5 just rolled over 1,000 miles last weekend so it's not all of em that are having problems.
3 weeks from today it's going to have at least 2,300 miles on it so if there are any "bugs" in it I should bring em to the surface by then.
My confidence ratio is high though.

Good Luck with your C5.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

talltenor

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 01:07:25 am
James:

I so hope things work out for you quickly!  The moors down there in Devon are missing you, as I'm sure you're missing them!

Bill

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 01:54:19 pm
Still waiting.  Seems them even delivering it to Taunton which means I'd have to ride most of the distance to WS anyway, is too much bother.

If I was running the show, I'd have paid a 3rd party delivery service to get the bike to my customer if I couldn't get it to them myself.

I don't think missing out components from the tranny is ok. It happened though, get it fixed and back to the customer ASAP regardless if it costs the company a hundred quid or something. I paid 4.5k cash for an 09 bullet classic not an old Electra, I shouldn't HAVE to be calling daily for something to be done.

Oh well, another week almost gone. I'm starting to feel like I'm being totally unreasonable in wanting my own bike back..

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:56 pm
James
My sentiments exactly!
Customer service has gone down the pan in this country.
I have been waiting all week for a call from my dealer. ( because of my work commitments, I have not purposely rung them- thought I would wait and see if I get a call from them -no such luck). I will ring them tomorrow.
 Hope you don't get too frustrated waiting for your machine.
Regards

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 02:50:12 am
Are you referring to the UK? While I don't really know about service in general in the UK I will say that my chief competitor and good friend in the parts business provides great service in the UK. I sometimes wait on people just to see if they will call back also. Drives me NUTS.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 09:26:39 am
Kevin
Yes, regrettably I am referring to the UK.
Not just Enfield but a host of other companies in general. I could go on for ever on this subject.
Friends also state similar lack of after service from other bike manufacturers as well. Once they have your money they are not really bothered.
Regarding Enfield and there servants, its not just the "ringing back" thing,- there are a list of things that in my opinion that they are(were) slack on.
Like I have said before, Kevin, you do us a great service over here.
Right that's enough of the B**L S**T!!
Regards

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:49 am
jamesC5.
 Unfortuantley yours is not the only bike awaiting return from watsonians, perhaps its a logistical problem ::)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 02:27:05 pm
Well, logistical as in they don't want to spend any money returning bikes to owners it seems.

I know it's not NICE to have to spend money, but I didn't WANT to have my brand new bike break down, nor did I want WS to repair it, I'd have been happy with Torre working on the bike and if it was a month waiting because of a major repair then I'd be more understanding.

However most of the time it's spent out of my hands has been waiting to go and come back from Glos. If they wanted it there to ensure it wasn't a bigger problem, thats fine, but get it there and back in a reasonable time. This isn't a ma and pa outfit selling £900 chinese bikes, they're £4500, getting up there with the big boys.

I'm about to call them yet again, but I have no hopes for seeing my bike anytime soon.

J

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 06:39:16 pm
Not had any communication with WS since Thursday now, every time I call Mike is busy or on the phone, no one else can deal with my case apparently, and I get no returned phone calls.

I think I may pursue getting my money back, the lack of communication with customers is not on.  I'll be contacting Trading Standards tomorrow if I'm fobbed off again.  :-[

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:10 pm
Kevin
Yes, regrettably I am referring to the UK.
Not just Enfield but a host of other companies in general. I could go on for ever on this subject.
Friends also state similar lack of after service from other bike manufacturers as well. Once they have your money they are not really bothered.
Regarding Enfield and there servants, its not just the "ringing back" thing,- there are a list of things that in my opinion that they are(were) slack on.
Like I have said before, Kevin, you do us a great service over here.
Right that's enough of the B**L S**T!!
Regards

Preach it brother!  No wonder so many old farts know a lathe like the back of their hand.  It's easier to just make parts yourself.
That said, a couple of Japanese bike suppliers are actually pretty good; David Silver Spares and Z-Power.   The Brit suppliers, though- oof!
Run what ya brung

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 09:10:58 pm
I think part of the problem is the forth coming open day weekend, a lot of staff are more than likely engaged with sorting out the weekends activiities.

I had my Electra engine rebuilt there whilst they were sorting out a new electra variant and I'm sure that was the reason it was in there for so long.  However, it was a totally free rebuild on an out of guarantee engine so I wasn't going to make too much noise.
They insisted on carrying the work out themselves to guarantee the job was done correctly and would not even supply me the parts so I could pay someone to do the job.

I would try and speak to Mike first before ruffling feathers up there.

If the work is done and they have delivery problems I can run you up there if i'm free,and the weathers fine - I no longer own waterproofs,  but on the understanding you'll have to get up here first, a train to my nearest link station (backwell and nailsea)  costs £10.20p -  I  really dislike the a38 south and I don't do motorways :( 

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 07:51:16 am
Not had any communication with WS since Thursday now, every time I call Mike is busy or on the phone, no one else can deal with my case apparently, and I get no returned phone calls.

I think I may pursue getting my money back, the lack of communication with customers is not on.  I'll be contacting Trading Standards tomorrow if I'm fobbed off again.  :-[

James - really sorry to hear you are still off the road & it is disappointing to hear about the shortfalls in the service from WS.
I agree with the comments from longstroke about the open day weekend in a couple of weeks time - I'm sure they are v busy preparing for it. That doesn't help you though & they should at least be letting you know whats going on.

I'm going up to the open day (on a 2nd hand electra) - I guess they will probably have the workshops & your bike (if shes still there) well hidden from view.
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 09:13:52 am
I'm sure they may be busy with that, but that doesn't really matter to me. I paid alot of dosh for a new bike, knowing what I do now I wouldn't ever buy a new RE again, and that's sad as I love the bikes. Even if the same failure had happened my faith in the company would have remained if it was handled properly.

I run my own business and if I have something going on I can't neglect my other customers / work.. if I do my clients go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:15:55 am by JamesC5 »

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 05:43:43 pm
Anyone reading this will have their enthusiasm for the new UCE a bit tarnished. I sort of feel bad I recommended the bike on some other forums. Matbe i'll just sit back and observe.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 05:56:40 pm
Anyone reading this will have their enthusiasm for the new UCE a bit tarnished. I sort of feel bad I recommended the bike on some other forums. Matbe i'll just sit back and observe.
don't. it's only ever the minority that you ever hear this sort of complaint from, it's just that people are more likely to report negatives than positives. this is a one in a million kind of think and that they caught it and are able to work it out means something. that you weren't able to get a loaner really sucks James, as does how this happened to you, but you're an anomaly in the test bed of early adopters. would this thread really be that long if you were just complementing the ride and fun of the bike? no. fact is, you hit a spot of bad luck, and yeah, Watsonian should really have sent a loaner bike sooner, but that's all it really is, a one in a million bug that if it happened anywhere else, they wouldn't bother to try and study it so closely.

good luck on getting your bike back soon. kinda reminds me of good restaurants out here in the states. all the places with GREAT food always seem to have the lousiest service, but if you send your dish back for whatever reason, the cook himself comes out to apologize and find out exactly what you didn't like about it. though that may make it take a while before your meal makes it out. kinda like how Royal Enfield does things. the service seems lousy until you have a serious problem and you call them up about it, and then it's just slow. i think that's partially due to how they're structured. for better or worse, i can't help but think their intentions are in their customers.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 06:01:52 pm
I got through to Mike this morning, he said there's an issue that they're trying to find out if is effecting my bike before they let it out, I asked if it was connected to the recall mentioned on the US RE site and he said maybe. He said he'd call me back today or tomorrow.

Torre then called WS as they have an EFI in stock and needed to know what's going on, is their bike affected etc. When on the phone they mentioned mine and get a more detailed answer.

Apparently they're not sure if my bikes issue was the recall problem or unrelated. It could be that my problem is one in the same, is fixed and I just need to worry about getting my bike back down, it could be totally separate in which case its back to waiting to see when a solution will be offered up for all the new UCEs.  They were waiting for word from the factory in India as to what the exact situation is.

Either way, I was very pleased to actually get some sort of clue as to what was going on.. if I get a call back tomorrow I'll post here.

James

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 01:24:30 pm
Just got a call from Mike who was very straight forward (yay!) , but it turns out my C5 DOES fall in the VINs with the recall :(

It's also a separate issue than my original gearbox issue. Apparently the parts will be flown in from India and mine will be one of the first fixed, but no timeline given.

Bleh. Still, least I should hopefully be safe to ride over 50mph when I finally get it back.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 01:47:52 pm
Just heard from my dealer that engine/frame Nos. 00088 to 01116 are for recall for gearbox attention. Not too sure were I am with my bike, seems to be some discrepancy with my Nos.- or I am not reading them properly

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 02:17:22 pm
Just got a call from Mike who was very straight forward (yay!) , but it turns out my C5 DOES fall in the VINs with the recall :(

It's also a separate issue than my original gearbox issue. Apparently the parts will be flown in from India and mine will be one of the first fixed, but no timeline given.

Bleh. Still, least I should hopefully be safe to ride over 50mph when I finally get it back.

Marrtyn,
You're still ahead of the game!
We don't even have any C5 bikes over here in the US yet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 03:50:07 pm
I have known Mike at Watsonian for many years. We have been in this business selling Enfield for about the same length of time. I can ensure you that the straightforwardness you got from him is how he is all of the time. I will say with 100% certainty that when this is over he and the others at Watsonian will have made sure you have a safe bike to ride.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 10:58:26 pm
It looks like things may be finally going your way,  I can't wait to hear how it is over 50 MPH  ;D
Iron Butt Association

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 03:20:53 pm
i worked on high-tech machinery for many years with new technology hitting us constantly. One thing for sure: new machine-new quirks! It'll be ok though. My wife has a C5 on order so we're in this boat together.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:19 pm
Still no word. I think I'll call tomorrow, but doubt there will be any good news, probably another few weeks to go.

Bleh.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 01:00:59 pm
No tarnish here. My wife's C5 is on the way (teal) and she's looking forward to it. Sounds like this is the only engine to be offered next year, so I feel confident RE will do what it takes to correct any issues and keep the machines rolling. By the way, I'll be heading for the Land o' the Sky for Belle Chere and maybe a little ride. Wonder how my Bullet would do on the Dragon's Tail...
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:27 pm
No tarnish here. My wife's C5 is on the way (teal) and she's looking forward to it. Sounds like this is the only engine to be offered next year, so I feel confident RE will do what it takes to correct any issues and keep the machines rolling. By the way, I'll be heading for the Land o' the Sky for Belle Chere and maybe a little ride. Wonder how my Bullet would do on the Dragon's Tail...

Maybe we can get a few Bulleteers together and do the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fun2drum is out this way, and there is some old guy who has an AVL we might be able to get ride if he has a tank on his bike. ;D
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 03:16:07 pm
sweet-I'll let you know some times when I can
Maybe we can get a few Bulleteers together and do the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fun2drum is out this way, and there is some old guy who has an AVL we might be able to get ride if he has a tank on his bike. ;D
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: June 23, 2009, 04:36:15 pm
Just to clarify a couple of points. In the US the C-5 is NOT on the recall list. Since they have been sold longer in Europe they are involved there.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 09:51:46 pm
Still no word. I think I'll call tomorrow, but doubt there will be any good news, probably another few weeks to go.

Bleh.
Spoke to my dealer the other day. He tells me we in the UK are to get a letter from WS explaining the situation and advising us of the next step, re: bike collection etc etc. This has been confirmed by another guy, and also that the letters have been sent out last friday( this info. given to other guy at WS Open Day).Needless to say I hav'nt recieved my letter or anything else as yet. (I am trying to remain positive,but summer is slipping away)

davem

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:48 pm
hi marrtyn.(our) dealer hasn't rung me once about this recall, so today i rang him and finally he took my details, frame no etc. and said he would fax them to w/s and i would  get the letter. by the way when i spoke to mike at the open day he had no record of me at all. regards davem (mack)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 02:20:26 pm
hi marrtyn.(our) dealer hasn't rung me once about this recall, so today i rang him and finally he took my details, frame no etc. and said he would fax them to w/s and i would  get the letter. by the way when i spoke to mike at the open day he had no record of me at all. regards davem (mack)
Hi (Mack) davem,
Funny, my telephone calls/conversations have been one way also. Is this a UK thing.
Regards Marrtyn (arryenfield)

davem

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: June 24, 2009, 10:58:38 pm
Hi Martyn. I think it more likely a small dealer thing, but i did get an email from W/S today saying I'd be hearing from them/ dealer soon about the timing of the pick up etc.Davem.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 11:11:44 am
I want my bike back. The Electra leaks oil everywhere and behaves badly in the heat, not the bike I paid for that's for sure...

Still no word from WS, was hoping seeing as it's been in the shop for so long it may have been worked on by now, I can't see these parts taking 2 or 3 weeks to be flown over from India.

Frustrating is an understatement.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:52 pm
Here is what I know about the situation in the UK. First of all we have 196 bikes to deal with in total. More than half of them are in my wareshouse so the numbers with dealers and  customers is quite a bit lower. In the UK and Europe in general there are close to 1,000 bikes (with most of them being in the UK) that need to be done. I understand that parts are already in Europe. Watsonian has already done several, but it is a big job, probably 8 man hours not including logistics. A good friend of mine from the factory is leaving for Europe on Monday with a crew from the factory to assist in this work and speed it up.. That took a while because it is not as easy for Indians to get VISA's for Europe and the US as it is for us to get VISA's to India. Once he gets them in place he is going back for another group who is still waiting for VISA's.
  One that happens the pace will pick up quite a bit. Here in the US we have far fewer bikes to get done so once parts are here it should go fairly quickly. It is too bad that this happened in the peak of riding season, but it is what it is.
This is not an official redaction of what is going on in Europe but represents bits and pieces that I have heard. In short they are on it and more help is on the way.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 06:02:39 pm
Well that sounds good news Kevin,  we now know that at least something appeares to be happening.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 06:11:06 pm
I called WS today around 2pm, I was told that the bloke I was speaking to was the only one there and that everyone seems to be gone at the moment. He couldn't tell me anything and asked to call back Monday.

Another week bites the dust. Although I guess I'd be less peeved if I'd just not had my bike since the recall... but mine was taken almost a month prior to it though so it's getting old, with no word on when my bike will be done.

enfield_33

Reply #63 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:05 pm
Bad news, James!  The good news is that an Audi didn't run over your parked C5.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 11:47:34 pm
Right, sorry I haven't replied sooner but I've been knee deep in rust and grease with my RE2 this week.

Monday I got a call back from WS. Apparently parts arrived last wednesday and seeing as mines practically lived there for the past 6 or 7 weeks they did mine.

So, it's fixed! yay. Well, would be yay if I had it or knew when I was getting it. Apparently it was back to them figuring out when to get it to me. I was told that they were figuring all that out right away and I'd get a call back that afternoon with news on when I'd get my bike.

Monday came and went, so did Tuesday. Today I called them and spoke to yet another person who didn't know anything about my bike as no one who knew was there and Mike was on the phone again. So I asked if someone could give me a ring please and just let me know when I can expect it.

Again, day passed and nothing. So, weeks almost over, it won't be this week I doubt as I'd really need to know when it's coming to make sure they get their loaner back. Roll on August!

Sigh.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #65 on: July 02, 2009, 05:51:03 pm
Well, still heard nowt this morning so I called Torre to see if they'd heard anything as they have an EFI Electra in for recall. Kevin there rang WS and couldn't get anyone who knew what was going on to speak to either, but they promised to get back to him before 1pm as he leaves at that time.

I got a call at 12:50 and he said he got a call back but still got nowhere, but that Ben promised to call me this afternoon. He said I should call WS if I don't hear by 4pm as they'll be leaving for home else. It got to about 4:30 and I called, Ben who apparently is the regional manager for the south west was on the phone, so I had to leave my name again.

But, I actually did get a call this time. Apparently my bike is penciled in for being delivered to me on Tuesday. I'm still skeptical and I don't think I'll believe it until the bike is in my drive, but fingers crossed that this thing finally gets resolved and I can get my C5 back!

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #66 on: July 09, 2009, 01:45:47 pm
PRAISE BE! SHE'S BAAAAAAAAACK!  ;D

Ukuvox

• Scooter
Reply #67 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:01 pm
YES!!!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: July 09, 2009, 08:43:05 pm
"PRAISE BE! SHE'S BAAAAAAAAACK!"  ;D  JamesC5 

Alleluia, Brother!!!

Papa Juan

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: July 09, 2009, 09:14:12 pm
OUTSTANDING!!!!! I'm happy for you, hit the road for a few days!  ;D
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 11:40:44 pm
Well I had planned a trip for June, now it'll be August, gotta decide now, Wales or Scotland, yehaw!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 11:56:46 pm
With a little careful planning you can do both!
Iron Butt Association

davem

• Scooter
Reply #72 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:15 am
Brilliant and how does she run?. Mine is down there at the moment hope to get it back next week. Happy days eh.
                                           Davem.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #73 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10:17 pm
Praise be, indeed! Looks like things are beginning to turn a corner. Enjoy your riding.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #74 on: July 10, 2009, 01:48:32 pm
Good stuff - have you picked her up yet & had a decent test ride?
Cheers
Nick