Author Topic: Shift lever "Pivot Spindle Boss"  (Read 2012 times)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 18, 2009, 12:55:40 am
Has anyone done any repair on part #801110 (Pivot Spindle Boss) for the Left hand shift lever?  (there is a drawing of this part on the frame section of the Hitchocks online parts book). My LH shift lever spindle is now worn to the point where it wobbles enough that the lever rubs on the Primary chain cover during the upshift.  It is making a gouge in the primary cover.  Is there any way to re-sleave the spindle boss to remove some of this side to side wobble?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:01:54 am
can you provide a year and model or a link to the exact page of the parts book?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:05:34 pm
Are you having any luck Mr. Hill??
  I think these  just have a built-in slop to them. My 2003 has plenty of movement on that shaft both up and down and end to end. IF my shift lever were pushed all the way onto the shaft it would cause the scratch on my primary to get worse....
so what I did was draw it off the shaft to where the end is maybe 1/16th" inside the shifter.
    I've often thought that a washer or spacer could be added to the shaft behind
circlip on the shaft to take out some of the end slop and help remedy this. Maybe next time I'm servicing the primary I'll do sumth'n about it.
             - Mike
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:07:49 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:36:01 am
Still not sure that I get it. My mental block not your explanation.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:59:53 am
You should install a RS shift kit. At the same time your in there put in a sealed bearing so you can run 90w. Everything will work like intended and there is no problem getting used to right shifts.  You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:47 am
Mike,
I tried your suggestion, and remounted the shift lever so it attached approx 1/16th shallower on the shaft.  That seems to have given me just enough clearance from the primary cover such that it doesnt rub.  I like your idea of the washer behind the circlip.  That would help, if a second washer would fit on the other end of the shaft as well, that may reduce the slop as well.  I think I need to take the assembly apart to see how this could be done.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 06:47:51 am
let's not over think this...   the other end gets into your shifter mech and I don't know if you have the room to move it out. The reason I say this is a couple of years ago when I removed my motor I failed to mark how that mounted on the splines on the left side. I missed it by 1 tooth...   the only way that I could see to gain that tooth was to pull the inner primary again...   after a lot of eyeball'in I went to the right side and moved the shifter mech 1 tooth "the other way" and it werked...  I got lucky.  I don't  think it will matter which end of the shaft you take up the slack on...  I think the clearances are more crucial on the other end.     
HAVE I MADE ANY SENSE??   it's been a KeyLight nite...
                        - Mike   
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 01:21:39 am
Mike,
I understand you completely, after looking at it again, there isn't enough room for two washers and the second one on the inside problably would not help the situation.  I still like the idea of the washer next to the circlip, I may try to draw a picture of this so everybody will understand.

Blltrdr,
I have given tha rh shift conversion some thought, but getting my brain to work on the right side gives me pause.  Other than this rubbing problem, my LH shifter works well now that I installed the CMW/DRS shift improvment kit.  With the kit, I almost never get a false neutral anymore.