Author Topic: Pilot Jet  (Read 4811 times)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:06:23 am
23HP,

If the idle mixture screw is unresponsive, the cause will be incorrect fuel height in the float bowl (assuming all passageways are clear) .

Refit the standard pilot jet and adjust the float height to the richer (smaller) float height setting in the manual.
  From memory (which isn't that brilliant even on a good day) the measurement is taken from the centre of the inlet to the bottom of the float with the carb inverted.
If your unable to do that try altering the float height by 1mm, run the bike and then go for another 1mm . You shouldn't want to raise the float height ( or lower it when measuring it upside down) any more than 2mm.

ric
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:19 am
Ric

Thanks!  I had adjusted the float on the Amal but not touched the CV carb yet.  Will add to my list for the weekend!

Cheers

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:45 am
Well, I didn't get round to the float as I have been cleaning the carb out with the little time I had to ensure that the Jets were clean but alas to no avail.

Well I sat down to the float bowl today with the Electra Service Manual.  I have read and reread but cannot work out how to measure this properly Please see below:

https://sites.google.com/site/23hpre/_/rsrc/1244710368681/Home/Float.jpg

I think I have a problem with the float as when inverted the float point Y is resting on the base of the carb below. I think that this would mean that the carb float is at its highest point and possibly causing overlyrich situation.

Where I am really confused is with how to measure the float height.  As  the Service Manual states the carb should be inverted and the measurement should be from the mixing chamber body face to the top of the float and this should measure 17.1mm  

Elsewhere in the manual it coincides with rick stating the centre of the mixing chamber to the top of the float.

Now the more I look the more confused I am getting and starting to question what is the top and the bottom of the float (when inverted) and what is the centre of the mixing chamber and what is the mixing chamber body face!!!  Really driving me mad now.   ???  Anyone care to assist before I toss this out of the window...

Any suggestions on how to bend the tongue without breaking it would be appreciated (I'm a bit of a disaster)

-Edit-  ;D

Well stuff the Measurements.  After a week of not starting, trying everything all I had to do was to bend the float tongue a bit.  I say a bit as that's how I measured it...  As it was resting against the base it could only bend one way (less fuel - leaner) so about 4-5mm to give her some clearance.  Fitted her.  Primed her.  First kick a slight backfire.  Not good.  Choke out.  Primed.  Second kick - WHAM grrrrrrrrrrrr thump thump yepeeeeee ;D

Drove her around the garage a bit then turned her off.  Kick grrrrrrrr - excellent she started again.  The great thing is I took her to work this afternoon and turned her off.  Tried to kick her and she started again!  When HOT!!!

Now I know I'm jumping to conclusions here as I have yet to test her on the open road, see if she overheats, check if she starts when hot always, but she started so I am one step better than I was last week.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:31:16 pm by 23hp »

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 12:22:17 pm
Congratulations!!  It sounds like you're making progress.  I always find carbs, especially the float settings, a bit mysterious.  I haven't done anything with the carb on my avl Military yet but plan on opening up the exhaust and air filter system and rejetting at some point.  So....I have no advice for you but wanted to offer moral support and an attaboy for all your work and progress so far.   Good Job!!

Jerry

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 10:22:35 am
Thanks Jerry

After the weekends rides I am confident that with this forums help I have managed to fix a problem that has had me baffled for the last good while.  She starts cold with the choke and a firm kick and warm without choke and a nice soft kick.  Runs perfectly and idles great.

I think that this problem has caused both of my Sprag failures (now removed) due to the spiting and backfiring when starting her so I am happy to have found the root of the problem.  This is how the bike should have been for a long time and now I can now spend more time enjoying her and looking for other things to break!

With regards to your bike the BS29 CV carb is actually quite nice to work with with the jets being really easy to change even though some of the manuals tell you otherwise. So enjoy getting your hands dirty!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:25:56 am by 23hp »