Author Topic: Cosmetic Electra X Mods  (Read 13847 times)

Adrian

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:36:02 pm
LJ,

I think that just about everything that has been said about re-styling Electra-X models can be applied to the Thunderbird model as well.  I agree the tank does look awful, but you could see if the tank off the Machismo fits when that arrives and order a spare tank if it does! A picture of both bikes together would be something...

Regards,

Adrian

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 12:00:39 am
where as on the other hand.. I like the looks of the tank ;)

LJRead

Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 08:52:03 pm
Having a good time today taking it off, all off.  I got the 'new' bike up to the porch of my shop with no key, so I managed to take of the side covers and will now do the same with the ovals.  The battery I am getting rid of with a Bat-Pac as I don't have electric start, and as soon as I can get a K&N air filter, I'll get rid of the old one and its plastic cover.  By the way Matt, the rear fender doesn't have a plastic extension, just ends.  Must be an addition for exported bikes.  I took off the instruments pods (Thunderbird) and the front forks are looking good now.  I may just get rid of all instrumentation and all indicator lamps as I don't drive at night and can tell when my flasher is going, and if it isn't no one here cares anyway. The key was missing from the bike, so I'll put in a good toggle switch.  No one will steal it anyway, no one here ever locks their doors, why would I worry about locking the bike? I never look at the speedometer or tach in my car, so why would I with the bike?  I won't be going over 40 mph anyway.  I call it simplifying, or maybe I should call it "Thumpering the bike out"!  There is no resale value on the bike here anyway, no one has the money, so it gives me the freedom of not worrying overmuch about resale value.  Yeah, it's fun to take it off!

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 01:30:24 pm
Larry,
I'm thinking scooter for you man.  150 cc would be a blast for you, especially an Aprilia 150 Scarabeo which comes with storage and some luggage and looks great.
Each his own though.
Terry

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 11:05:17 pm
when i bought my bike i test rode an electra and a classic and i thought if my eyes were closed i'd pick the electre then i opened my eyes and bought a delux.
bobbezin
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:03:07 am
Interesting about the Thunderbird tank - now that I have the odd looking chrome plastic instrument pods off, the tank doesn't look half bad, and, in fact, gives a more open appearance to the engine.  I don't know whose bright idea it was to give the newer T-birds a two tone paint job, but it really looks awful.  Fortunately mine is just a purple sort of blue, blue tank, blue fenders and the rest black.  The two side covers are superfluous in that one side covers the air cleaner, which I will replace with a pancake type. The other covers the battery, which I got rid of with the Bat Pac.  The two ovals I also got rid of and will make a filler piece resembling the classic side panels.  I've got that one figured out pretty well, and I think you all will like what I have in mind.  I might try to find an hour meter, like we use on boats, since it really gives a good idea of when to change oil etc.  Otherwise it will be safe just changing the oil and so forth about three times a year, because I won't drive it far with the limited size of this island. The speedometer/odometer is totally wrecked.  Someone got in there and tore it up, so I've discarded it.  Really, the only issues with the bike now is a few chips in the paint, and I think CMW has the right color touch up paint, so I'll order that right away.

I've got some guests coming in on Tuesday who will probably have a digital camera (everyone these days does, except me),  so maybe I'll get a photo posted.  I've got some real good agents working on getting the other bike down here. 

Adrian

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 10:26:30 pm
Matt,

have you seen Bill Harris' Electra scrambler over in the gallery yet? It surely deserves a mention here.

Mr Harris has posted details with it, and claims it will do 90 MPH on stock gearing! Quite an achievment, especially with what loooks like the stock lean-burn downpipe, although the classic muffler and flat slide carb must help a lot, More points too (in my book!) for the right-foot gear shift...

Another well customized Electra, more please!

Adrian

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 05:13:23 pm
Matt,

have you seen Bill Harris' Electra scrambler over in the gallery yet? It surely deserves a mention here.

Mr Harris has posted details with it, and claims it will do 90 MPH on stock gearing! Quite an achievment, especially with what loooks like the stock lean-burn downpipe, although the classic muffler and flat slide carb must help a lot, More points too (in my book!) for the right-foot gear shift...

Another well customized Electra, more please!

Adrian

Nice job. However I prefer the sanitized version you previously showed me!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 08:35:06 pm
I keep looking at the pic and probably because I'm so used to the 'normal' road going exhaust systems (or the purpose made high level ones on the trials bikes) this one here looks like it just got bent like that by accident!!!!

Sorry BH!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:44 pm
that mufler angle reminds me of a 1951 350 bullet
bob bezin
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Adrian

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 05:23:53 am
The UK importers market trials versions of the classic and Electra models with a 20 degree bend in the exhuast, which allows the muffler to follow the line of the frame quite nicely.. See the link below, I haven't tried to show the picture here as it's quite large.

http://www.btinternet.com/~haywards.cambs/haywards/Electra_Trail4.jpg

I'm tempted to do something similar, but perhaps with a Supertrapp muffler?

Regards,

Adrian

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:47 am
Adrian.
This one @ Haywards I see as looking 'right' due to the fact that the silencer actually follows the frame line so looks like that is where it should be IMHO!  8)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Adrian

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 12:25:13 pm
If you have another look at the Harris Scrambler you'll see that by using a 10 degree exhaust bend he has been able to keep the pillion foot pegs. I don't think that would be possible with a 20 degree bend!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 11:53:48 pm
With the Haywards one that 20* angled exhaust is not a worry as  it is fitted with that single saddle so unless the pillion likes sitting on the rack there's no problem here!!!!  ;D

Ducati 916 'L' twin

sasquatch

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 05:22:00 am
I thought after I bought my electra it would be a long long time before I would even be thinking about buying another bike (or be mentioning it to my wife anyway)... and then I saw the pics of that scrambler. Nice.  I especially like the exhaust up out of harms way, without risking unpleasant leg burns.

That would be pretty fun on the 100 acres of farmland I live on... garage is getting kind of cramped though, maybe the car will have to move back outside.
- sasquatch -
"Never pound with a large wrench, when a smaller one will do."